KAB EV-1 record cleaning machine advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by banjoman, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banjoman

banjoman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all

Got myself a KAB EV-1 record cleaning machine and had a few questions for those who have used them for a while..

How good a job does the standard KAB brush do in getting dirt out of the grooves. Is there any point in using a different brush like a carbon fibre brush?

How does one clean the brush and the 'lips' around the vaccum slot?

Finally, how do you make your own replacement cleaning solution instead of buying more KAB solution (its a bit of a pain for me to buy new bottles of the solution as I am based in the UK)

Thanks for all/any advice!!

2. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I used to have one. I can answer a couple of your questions.

Carbon fiber brushes are for dry cleaning only, do not use them to wet clean records. I don't remember much about the brush that came with the KAB, but from what I remember it does the job.

To clean the lips and brush I used a clean toothbrush to wipe off any debris, then used distilled water to rinse the lips and brush.

There are are lots of recipes for homebrew record cleaning solutions (as well as other commercially available options out there) so you are not stuck with KAB's cleaner. But that is a separate thread (I'm sure it's been covered here before).

Good luck and happy cleaning!

3. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

I use the Disc Doctor brushes with my EV-1. Highly recommended.

4. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Here's my favorite home brew record cleaning fluid recipe

3/4 gallon distilled water, 1/4 gallon lab grade isopropyl alcohol, few drops of Dupont Triton X-80 or Kodak Photo Flo or any wetting agent for that matter.

5. I just give them a once over with the vacuum as soon as I finish and while they're still damp. I imagine that this would get them pretty clean.

6. banjoman

banjoman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks all for the tips!

7. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I've cleaned hundreds on LPs with my EV-1; it's great!
    I use the MoFi velvet pads and fluids and wouldn't use anything else at this point. Their brushes are great because they are rubber. If you accidentally drop one on your record it wont scratch it.
    I bought a nylon fingernail brush at the drugstore to use as a cleaning brush for the Mo-Fi pads and the velvet lip on the EV-1. I pour alcohol on the nail brush then scrub the velvet lip. Next, I turn on the vacuum to dry. For the Mo-Fi brushes, I pour alcohol directly on the pad (over the sink) and then scrub hte pad with the nail brush. Then, I run the pads over the velvet lips with the vacuum on.
    Works for me.

8. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Wow, how often do you change you pads? That sounds brutal.

9. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Brutal? Nah. "Fluffing" the velvet with the fingernail brush actually extends their life. I only use the alcohol if I've cleaned some really really dirty records, especially 78s. Otherwise I'll just run the MoFi brushes over the EV-1 when the vacuum is on to dry the brushes and occasionally refresh the pads with the fingernail brush.
    I clean LPs on a regular basis and I change the velvet on the EV-1 about once a year. I change the velvet on the MoFi brushes every 6 months to a year depending how hard I've been scrubbing with them.

10. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Ok, scrubbing with a nail brush was something I used to do to get grease from under my fingernails after working on my old Celica. "Fluffing the velvet", now that sounds like an activity I could get behind!

Otherwise I'll just run the MoFi brushes over the EV-1 when the vacuum is on to dry the brushes and occasionally refresh the pads with the fingernail brush.

that's what I do with my spinclean pads when I'm done.

Sailfree likes this.
  11. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with using carbon fibre brushes for wet cleaning. Brian Weitzel, who developed the Record Research Lab fluids now sold as Mobile Fidelity, in fact recommended using carbon fibre brushes for wet cleaning and application of fluids when he introduced the products 6 or 7 years ago. I've since moved on to other fluids but have used dedicated carbon fibre brushes to wet clean about 3,000 records over the years with absolutely no problems apart from replacing maybe 2 or 3 in that time period. They're both effective and cheap.

They're also effective in terms of cleaning the felt lips. I usually give both the carbon fibre brushes a dip in ultrapure water and then simply run them over the slot a few times with the vacuum running to give them a quick clean and then run the small brush that comes with replacement pads for the KAB over the felt as well with the vacuum running. That's sufficient to clean everything properly here.

Carbon fibre brushes for wet cleaning will not appeal to those who want to "scrub" records. However, if you ascribe to the "fluid does the cleaning" theory as in the fluid lifts and suspends the junk to be vacuumed away, they are hard to beat. They get the fluid down into the groove in a very non-aggressive manner.

I ruined a perfectly good record once applying a bit of pressure with the KAB/Nitty Gritty Brush when cleaning. No experience with the Mo-Fi or Disc Doctor Brushes, which I've heard good things about, but I am not interested in "scrubbing" in any way, have had great results and will stick with the carbon fibre brushes for wet cleaning.

I like the KAB and have cleaned a ton of records with it. I have no desire to buy anthing else, and I have had records cleaned on a Monks in the past. I have, however, set up a "cleaning station" in the basemen of my house with a scrap table beside it for application of fluids, both first stage and rinse. If I couldn't do that I would probably move to something like the VPI or another wand based cleaner with an automated rotating platter for fluid application.

My advice to anyone that's using an RCM is not to cheap out on fluids. Buy a quality first stage cleaner (yeah, I've experimented with DIY fluids, no thanks) and the highest purity water you can obtain (either reagent grade or ultrapure) and rinse twice with it.

12. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

13. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Same here. AIVS #15 followed by two rinses with ultrapure water-my wife is a researcher and brings it home from the lab.

14. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

I have the KAB EV-1 and are using a VPI nylon brush and l'art du son cleaning fluid and it works just excellent.

15. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm using the brush that came with the EV-1 and it does just fine from what I can tell. My question is, how do I know when it is time to replace it?

16. spidey

spidey Forum Resident

I've had mine for about a year and I've probably cleaned a couple hundred singles. I don't really use force with the brush but it is quite evident it needs replaced. The felt is worn down in spots. So my two cents is that you'll be able to see that it's "worn out", almost like high traffic areas of carpet. I think I'm going to upgrade to a different brush, not wild about this one wearing out with no real pressure applied to it.

17. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

I use the MoFi brushes (one for wash and one for rinse) and Record Time fluid. I just run the wet brushes over the vacuum slot a few times when I'm done cleaning.

18. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Sometimes to clean really dirty records I place them on a spare rubber platter mat and apply the cleaning fluid to the record and use a paint pad with short nap to lighty spread the fluid on the surface. Sometimes a light scrubbing is done with the paint pad then the record is placed on the EV-1 to vacuum it dry.

19. BlackLabs

BlackLabs New Member

@dconsmack mentioned cleaning 78s with the EV-1, has anyone successfully use the EV-1 with 45s? We inherited my father-in-law's collection, about 600+ records in all three sizes. Looking at options to clean this collection over time. Am looking at the EV-1 in conjunction with the Spin Clean, but wanted to know if the EV-1 can handle 45s. My plan is a process of wet cleaning using the Library of Congress method using Tergitol solution diluted (http://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/record.html), use the Spin Clean as a rinse tank (distilled water) and the EV-1 to vacuum between each step. I have a good higher end Miele canister vaccum so I am thinking the EV-1 should work for me rather than getting the Nitty Gritty Record Master 1 which handles 33, 45 and 78. The EV-1 plus Spin Clean (basic one) is still going cost less than the NG. Thanks in advance!

20. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

The EV-1 works with 45s. Mine came with a metal washer that is to be used as the 45 hole adapter. I recommend placing your cleaning brush over the vacuum slot where the 45 doesn't cover so the suction remains strong.

tyler928 likes this.
  21. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

22. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I use the spin clean to bath the records in a home brew solution and take them to the EV-1 wet to vacume, rinse and vacume again. Works great.

23. BlackLabs

BlackLabs New Member

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

anyone can explain me, whats the point of buy a KAB EV-1 for $169 WITHOU VACUM and why not buy the RECORD DOCTOR V for $200 with VACUM, yes just for 30bucks more you got the Vacum in the unit, you dont need buy a vacum, for me is very logic go for the RECORD DOCTOR V or Im wrong??? the KAB EV-1 is better for some reason? any help? I planing buy the KAB EV-1 or the RECORD DOCTOR V.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  25. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Ev-1 will never have a broken motor and I will never not own a vacuum cleaner.

dconsmack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.