KAB EV-1 record cleaning machine advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by banjoman, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blakep

blakep Senior Member

They do make it clear. The EV-1 captures and retains the fluid. The KAB can be used with either wet/dry or strictly dry vacuums.

I've cleaned well over 3000 records over approximately 10 years with an EV-1 and a household dry vac and never had any problems with the EV-1 or the vac.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd assume that as well, until I read the post by a guy whose vacuum cleaner was broken by the EV-1 and KAB admitted there was potential for this to occur.

No problems of any kind with my own EV-1. I've never had to drain it either.

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I didn't read it that way but perhaps I'm mistaken. As I see it, someone's Dyson broke down when connected with the KAB. Which may have had something or nothing to do with the KAB. Somebody else emailed KAB who replied that the air entering the vac is "moisturized", whatever that means, but the KAB website maintains that the EV1 captures the fluid and no fluid will enter the vac. That is my experience. Perhaps some dry vacs are just less susceptible to "moisturized" air :laugh:.

In any event, my dry vac has experienced no problems in use with the KAB for over 10 years and 3000+ records. Then again, it is what I would consider a high quality vac with a very durable motor. It is a Filter Queen and I have 3 of them in use (I used to sell them 37 years ago LOL!), one of which has a 65 year old motor in it which still functions perfectly!!!

4. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

after read the thread I want buy the KAB and not buy the Record Doctor V, make sense to me don't have any motor.

but last question:

how deal with labels to don't wet with the KAB?

I want buy the KAB but my big problem with the KAB is the switch/swap (liquids on the top side and need switch/swap to vacuum) in that step I feel that water touch the labels because the vacuum is on the bottom, I see many videos and it seems people don't care wet the labels, so bad! label are important for valuable records.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  5. blakep

blakep Senior Member

The biggest problem I've had with wet labels is simply a very small amount of fluid around the perimeter when I'm in the process of applying fluid, which I will usually just very carefully wipe off. So virtually no problem and I can see it happening with application on any RCM.

In terms of flipping the record I don't have problems with labels becoming wet. Then again, I don't use a ton of fluid; about 2.5 or 3 milliletres, which is just enough to create a solid film of the first stage cleaner to let sit on the record for a few minutes and just enough to create a solid bead of rinse water in front of a carbon fibre brush on a rotating record when I'm rinsing. You don't require gallons of fluid on a record to clean it properly.

stenway likes this.
  6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thank you, sounds good,
    so yes I think I go buy the KAB, I feel that I get the same results than a VPI (automatic function is not necessary to me).

7. thirtycenturyman

thirtycenturyman Forum Resident

I typically use a three stage process of which a wash with ultra pure water is the third step. One thing I've noticed when using my Kab EV1 is that after the final step there is most always some residual streaking at the deadwax area. Also, there is sometimes a few drops of liquid at the outer edge of the record.

I'm assuming this is because the opening is not quite as long as the record surface is wide. Not a huge deal, but I've often wondered if others have noticed this. I use an eyglass cleaning cloth to buff the residue off and it's good to go.

As a comparison, I've never had this occur while using my dad's VPI 16.

The velvet is in good condition on my unit and I do replace it regularly. I always wash my brushes after every use as well. Maybe its a bit of residue remaining on the velvet from the first or second cleaning stage? That said, I don't do anything differently when using the VPI.

8. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Yep, the cleaning area only covers the grooves. At the end of the cleaning process, I just wipe the dead wax area with a microfiber cloth and move on with the next record. Doesn't seem to effect the dead area after the final groove though. The replacement pads are Nitty Gritty Brand, too.

9. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

10. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't think there's any real functional difference between those two in terms of their use with the EV-1, so might as well either get the cheaper one or the quieter one (if there is one).

11. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks, you know I don't want a lot power and burn! the vac... but well if both works maybe I go for the 2nd. maybe have a little more power and I use too for some home jobs too as well with the Kab.

12. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Yep, I have a very similar mini shopvac like that and often use it for little household chores. It's a pretty handy gadget I'd never think to own without record cleaning involved.

13. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

I plan buy all this: ($400 under)

Weapons
    $190 RCM https://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm
    $40 Vacuum http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KX26N8S?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i
    $11x2 = $22 Amber Bootles to mix fluids and spray: http://www.amazon.com/Empty-Amber-G...=1435619606&sr=8-1&keywords=Empty+Amber+Glass
    $45 L’Art Du Son fluid http://www.needledoctor.com/LArt-du-Son-Record-Cleaning-Fluid?sc=7&category=26137
    $29 Osage Brush http://www.needledoctor.com/Listener-Select-12-Record-Cleaning-Brush?sc=7&category=24592
    $25 ClearAudio Brush http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Pure-Groove-Brush
    $30 Fiber Brush http://www.needledoctor.com/Hunt-EDA-Carbon-Fiber-Brush
    $10 Distilled Water Gallon

Steps
    1. remove dust etc... with Hunt-EDA-Carbon-Fiber-Brush
    2. Fluid apply (L’Art Du Son + D. Water with Osage mix) + Osage Brush
    3. Vaccum
    4. Rinse apply (Distilled Water) + ClearAudio Brush
    5. Vaccum

is good? any comment/improve/warning/tip etc... before my purchase? :righton:

14. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

If there is streaking in the deadwax area, it is time to change the lips. They need to be changed regularly, old lips won't clean the album as effectively as new ones will. I get them on Ebay, they are relatively cheap.

Wngnt90 likes this.
  15. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

"streaking in the deadwax area" ouch! that don't sounds good.

this? http://www.amazon.com/Nitty-Gritty-Vac-Sweep-Replacement/dp/B003D62OQG

16. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Yup! The streaking is because the cleaning fluid isn't getting sucked off the record completely by the worn lips. New lips fix that right up. I've found alcohol to be helpful in cleaning off the adhesive left by the old ones.

17. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

good to know, thank you.

18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I've cleaned about 100 records so far with my KAB and I notice that the felt lips over the vacuum slot are worn down where a 7-inch record would rest, probably too much pressure while cleaning 45s. Anyone else experience this?

The remainder of the felt strip looks ok. My concern is that with the difference in texture results in having a small gap where the felt is worn, resulting in the end of an LP side not getting vacuumed completely. Does this make sense? I guess I could experiment with some of my donate-to-Goodwill records.

Are the felt lips easy enough to remove and replace?

19. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Glad your enjoying the KAB unit, I sure love mine. I have only cleaned a few 45's. But, after each cleaning session, I use the little brush that came with the unit, to brush up the felt bristles (for lack of a better term) . There should be a set if instructions, included, on how to replace the felt strip. It's very simple. Just peel up the old ones, and using the centering tool(included in the replace felt strip kit) , attach the new felt strip. I've replaced my felt strips after about 200 records. I beleive the replacement kit contains strips for 2 replacements.

Hope this helps.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  20. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

The replacement strips comes in a package of four and they are fairly easy to replace if you are steady on the hand. The manual says you should replace them every 50 records but if they look okay why not use them even longer but beware eventhough they are not worn they might be dirty.

MikeP5877 likes this.
  21. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

This what came out of my EV-1 after cleaning 10 used records that looked perfectly clean. Always nice to see what your stylus is not being dragged through!

[​IMG]

dividebytube likes this.
  22. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I bought my KAB EV-1 a few years ago. I like the idea of not having the motor integrated into the housing, especially after my friend had the wooden base rot out on his Record Doctor (or was it a Nitty Gritty - can't remember) along with the motor going south.

I originally used a Kenmore upright vacuum cleaner with mine but recently bought a $19 shop-vac from Walmart which works even better.

As far as cleaner, I'm using a homebrew formulation done by the previously-mentioned friend. It seems to work just as well as the stuff that came with the machine or the bottle of MOFI solution I bought.

Results have varied from "amazing!" to "that's an improvment, but the nose is still there". So YMMV depending on the underlying vinyl quality. eg, cleaning won't take a record that's been abused by a bad cartridge and suddenly make it better. But, for example, I did have a Japanese pressing of Haircut 100 that was a crackly mess, even though the record looked to be clean. A clean with the KAB and suddenly silence - like a good Japanese pressing should have.

23. kcblair

kcblair Forum Resident

Yep, that KAB unit is doing it's job.

24. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Off topic, but Pelican West is a great sounding 80s record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.