Kansas the Steve Morse years ("Power" & "In the Spirit Of Things")

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Nov 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville Thread Starter

I feel like I'm at a drug support group when I admit publicly that yes, I really like and enjoy both "Power" and "In the Spirit of Things" from the Steve Morse era Kansas. I know it was more hard AOR or commercial FM rock oriented than some of their early stuff, but I liked it. A few really great songs and guitar playing on those if you give it a thorough listening. Also, I loved Walsh's voice on those 2 records. In retrospect it's probably considered a failure and I cannot defend that angle, so I'll just say one more time I find the Morse era very enjoyable. Nothing more, nothing less.

DiabloG, chef0069 and TCEckels like this.
  2. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

My favorite is still Monoloth. But Power ranks a strong 2nd with me. I used to really not like ITSOT but the more I listened to it the more I appreciated it (and it's a Bob Ezrin production) and it now ranks in my top 5 Kansas records (yes, I bought the original records for both!).

They're the last records where (imho) Steve W. really sounded like himself. I really did like how Steve M. played as well. I would have liked to have heard more from that lineup!

Well worth the listen - but it is different from the "traditional" Livgren Kansas.

steeler1979 likes this.
  3. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

I love those two records as well. sure it sounds different, cause in 1986 prog was dead. I wish he would've stuck around a little longer.

chad

steeler1979 likes this.
  4. TCEckels

TCEckels Forum Resident

You are not alone. I feel the same way if I mention Kansas was my band of choice, a large part of the time. These two albums are a different Kansas than the original line-up, but I dug the 2nd generation too, especially tunes like "One Big Sky". I've always thought of ITSOT as a very well-done concept album.

steeler1979 likes this.
  5. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Bought the LP's, saw the tour, always liked both records. It was def a tough time for prog bands, and Steve Morse is a great player. He was very respectful of the other players in Kansas, and did not try to stand out at all. In fact, I thought he held back maybe a little too much. He is also on Steve Walsh first solo record, A Schemer, a Dreamer, which was pretty ok!

Finch Platte and steeler1979 like this.
  6. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Love the Power album

DiabloG and steeler1979 like this.
  7. Power was an excellent album, with strong melodic songs and also some deeper cuts. "Silhouettes In Disguise" is their only tune that really puts Steve Morse out front. "Taking In the View" is a wonderful deep album cut. Of the two singles, I prefer "Power."

"In the Spirit of Things" has a wonderful concept, but it sounds like they ran out of steam (or money!). "Stand Beside Me" is a pretty good commercial track, but it doesn't fit the concept or the sound of the rest of the album. I think they nailed the feel with the opening track "Ghost," and the suite of songs on Side 2 had the makings of an epic. If only they'd been able to stay on task.

It's well-known that Walsh really started to go off the rails a bit after this. Things were really amiss for them all the way until the reunion album, which was even better than these.

steeler1979 likes this.
  8. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I know they're on a different label (MCA) - but these two could use a good remastering to go along with the earlier Kirshner ones.

9. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

the record they did in 95, freaks of nature is a very good record as well. although the reunion record is good, I much rather the three records that proceeded it.

chad

10. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Agree with your first point. Disagree about Somewhere to Elsewhere. I'm thinking mainly because they got back to the Kansas sound I grew up with as opposed to the more popish 80's stuff. I will say after Audio-Visions I lost some interest. I have listened to the 80's records and though OK, nowhere near from their self-titled to Monolith.

11. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Good albums, but I miss the violin. Ghosts, Rainmaker and Bells of Saint James rank among their best classic tunes.

steeler1979 likes this.
  12. I eventually warmed to Freaks of Nature. David Ragsdale is a really good player with a bit more of a jazz touch than Steinhardt had. But Walsh was struggling to sing at that time, and it hurt some of the songs. He doesn't sound bad , just forced. I think he did much better working with his new voice on Glossolalia.

13. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

I enjoy "Musicatto" from the Power album, but really like "One Big Sky" and "Inside of Me" from "In The Spirit..." Great melodies and great playing from Rich Williams and Steve Morse.

steeler1979 likes this.
  14. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Power is an excellent album, no questions about that. In the Spirit of Things has got its moments, too, but somehow it just doesn't feel as strong as its predecessor.

DiabloG likes this.
  15. steeler1979

I didn't realize there was a tour for ITSOT. I know the "Power" tour was heavily promoted at the time. How were the tours?

16. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

I only saw the Power tour. They did tour for ITSOT, Night Ranger opened for some east coast shows. Steve Morse used to open shows as well, from what I have read.

17. steeler1979

I have been on a Kansas kick lately (recently watched the documentary which was enjoyable too) and after hearing both POWER and ITSOT for the first time in a while, I have to say that the mastering is pretty good on both of the original CDs. Good enough for me anyway. Still love them both!

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Love Power but could never get into In the Spirit...

DiabloG and drowningdeep like this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I love Kansas. However, I never bothered listening to these albums and I will admit it is due to "All I Wanted" which I find vomit inducing. I gave up on the band around this time. Fact is, I was not enthused with Audiovisions either.

However, based on the comments here, maybe I will eventually check them out. I love Steve Morse playing from Dixie Dregs to Deep Purple so maybe I owe it to myself.

20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Of these 2 albums, I only have Power. Actually, Power is one of the few Kansas albums that I own (the others are the debut, Masque, and Monolith). Silhouettes in Disguise is a great opener and I just love the swagger and groove going on with Secret Service.

trumpet sounds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.