Karen Carpenter: The self titled album.. Your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GKH, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYGiordano

NYGiordano Forum Resident

You're welcome.

John Adam likes this.
  2. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Proof of that? I ask because once a producer is finished with a record, it becomes the property of the record label entity. Ramone holds no ownership whatsoever of the record; A&M/Universal does.

Ed

3. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Do you have any info about this 50th Anniversary Collection?

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I think it's usually a courtesy to request permission to remix work by a famed producer or engineer. but, I guess the details are always in the contracts.

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The Tan Album had three unused songs, yet was still released at a mere 31 minutes in length? :confused:

6. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It also had three killer tracks in "For All We Know", "Rainy Days And Mondays", and "Superstar". Quality - not quantity!

John Adam likes this.
  7. Nostaljack

There are instances where that hasn't happened. Heck, Chicago's "SOS" was released by Rhino in 2006 and no one told producer Peter Wolf until it surfaced if I'm not mistaken.

Ed

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

And, what was Quincy Jones' lawsuit about? Not getting compensated?

9. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Glad you are back. You've been missing for a while! :)

10. NYGiordano

Richard has publicly acknowledged that fact.

This has nothing to do with who owns the master tapes. Generally speaking,a producer has to get clearance to borrow or alter the work of another producer.

At this point,A 50th Anniversary Compilation is just a possibility-nothing definite. If Richard does decide on this project,He will probably start working on it in about a year.

Now you know why it's only 31 minutes. Enough material was recorded for a 40-minute album-but the decision was made to shelve those three tracks.

11. NYGiordano

"Sometimes" is quite an amazing track,also. The voice of Karen Carpenter and the music of Henry Mancini is an incredible combination.

12. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

It's possible that some of these tracks may not even have completed leads by Karen. I have a translation somewhere from Japan of Richard being asked (I believe from Yuko now Yuka) about many of the unburied treasure recordings some he mentioned were just titles people thought they recorded but didn't, others were titles but no leads from Karen others were titles with partial leads of Karen that he said he might consider releasing in the future. I was also under the impression that Play A Simple Melody from 78' was a track consisting of Karen, Richard, Agnes and Harold. It was not a Carpenters duo track. I could be wrong, maybe they recorded both a family version and a duo version. Someone has an acetate of the family version but I've never heard of a duo version.

13. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

T

John Adam likes this.
  14. Nostaljack

This isn't really finished, per se. This is the demo dressed up...by you...and dressed up well, I might add.

Ed

15. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Thanks!

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

^^Actually the translation came directly from someone over at A&M Corner Forum who went directly to the author of the Mook Book which detailed the listing of unburied treasure titles. The Mook Book was all in Japanese but the author translated it the best she could and it's posted over there here. Yuka mentions that the interview was done in 1996 so some of the tracks were already released on As Time Goes By CD.

CarpenterS Fan Club BURIED TREASURE topic

Take note, Richard speaks about Don't Leave Me from 71 and says it's lousy he'd never release it.

Toward the end of the interview Richard talks a lot about the unreleased tracks from Karen's solo album. Good stuff and a big thanks for that forum member going the extra mile to get that English translation to the Mook Book list.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    John Adam likes this.
  17. NYGiordano

The 12 tracks that I listed are finished tracks with complete vocals. Many of the other tracks mentioned in the MOOK have incomplete or no vocals. Unbelievably,there are two Peter Knight big-band tracks from the 1980 Made In America sessions that Karen never laid down vocals for.

18. NYGiordano

Yes.

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

So which song from the unreleased sessions do you think Richard is talking about in the Mook that sounds very Carpenter esq? One that he would like to finish and release?

20. michaeldila

michaeldila Forum Resident

“Something’s missing (in my life)”.....

21. NYGiordano

I believe that solo outtake was "Something's Missing"-Richard wanted to chart the arrangement & add the orchestration,but I don't think he was able to get clearance from A&M. This was something he was thinking about 20+ years ago-this idea has long since been forgotten.

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Is this the Paul Stookey song?

23. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

That doesn’t mean something couldn’t have happened in the past 20 yrs that changed and he got the rights to finish that track or others and he has it waiting for the right release. We don’t know yet what Japan has in store for the 50th release.

I personally don’t think we will ever get another full Carpenters CD released like ATGB. That Cd was a lot of work and expense Richard went through and it got little fanfare, even most fans don’t even talk about it. Japan has always held high standards for Carpenters and any unreleased track would be well received in that country. I’d like to see Japan issue a vinyl box collection since UMe really messed up the US version. I’d imagine Japan vinyl would be superior than what UMe released and maybe Karen’s solo album could be included as a bonus LP.

24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

This excerpt is kind of pathetic, but has the ring of truth to it. It's from the book "Never Say No To A Rock Star" by Glenn Berger

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. NYGiordano

No-Unfortunately,it never happened. There were several "ideas" that Richard had over the years that never came to fruition-and,"Something's Missing" is just one of them.1996 was a long time ago-and Richard isn't thinking about something like this all these years later.

If a 50th Anniversary Collection does materialize,it might include one or two outtakes. Richard intended to include "All My Life","Try And Win A Friend" and "Play A Simple Melody" on As Time Goes By-he might possibly decide to include one or all of those on the 50th set.

No-we won't.

Whatever type of 50th set that is issued in Japan will most likely be identical to what is issued stateside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.