Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sound quality on a revealing system is not good on
    Remaster uk cd or USA vinyl

There is a 2008 japan import caroline has anyone heard it?

I know the japan 2006 was nothing new.

Any great version of this?

I still need to pick up never for ever is the cd the way to go or uk vinyl?

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's why I have the Kate Box.

Don't leave home without it!

3. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

Cd box?

Much better remaster?

4. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

Does the 1997 remaster with the 6 bonus tracks been No-Noised? I've never like the sound of it. How is the sound on the box set?

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

THe Kate Box "This Woman's Work" simply includes the original EMI European cd pressings (unless it's a Japan issue). They are the best sounding cd's. There have been no Kate Bush remasters apart from HOL.

6. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Simply Vinyl. It owns the competition.

7. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

There are a couple of variations on certain albums. Nothing huge.
    There is a thread somewhere about that.

8. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

So I just listened to this (and Kate) yesterday for the first time and I'm blown away. Oddly, I've had it in my collection for about two years, I bought a used shelf system for my vinyl and It came with a couple hundred albums, some of which I like, some I don't and some I've never heard, the vinyl was just a bonus.

Anyway, every once in a while I'll pull out one the lp's I haven't heard and give it a once over, so yesterday it was "Hounds of Love". To be honest I didn't expect much, looking at the cover I was expecting maybe a lesser Madonna or something like that. Oh how wrong I was, this album is ridiculous good, after one very attentive listen it goes straight into desert island album territory. I've seen her name many times before but never bothered to explore her music, big mistake.

Is the rest of her discography this good? Obviously, I'm smitten.

bluemooze and Tuco like this.
  9. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Just did a shootout today with a friend and the original UK vinyl KILLED the US pressing. I've never heard the Simply Vinyl pressing, but now Scott you got me intrigued.

10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

She has one other album in the same league: 1982's "The Dreaming." But 1980's "Never For Ever" isn't far behind. Many also love the debut, 1978's "The Kick Inside" but it's more pop and less experimental, yet still fantastic.

11. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out.

12. biggerdog

biggerdog Senior Member

Get "The Kick Inside". Great music, well recorded.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  13. Second that, don't have it on vinyl but the Black Triangle is stunning.

14. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

For Kate on CD I would go original Japanese.

Vinyl depends on the title - Japanese are good as are certain EMI and SV.

15. Personally, I think this is her highpoint and agree with you that this is an exceptionally good album.

Others will disagree.

Best Wishes
    David

16. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think Hounds IS Kate's best album but I'd also recommend The Kick Inside and The Sensual World. The latter suffers from too much late-80's production, but it's still an excellent record.

One Louder likes this.
  17. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

While most consider "Hounds" a high point in her career, all of her records are incredibly interesting musically, and have something to recommend. Definitely an artist worth exploring further.

18. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

There's a Canadian issue too, so be careful you know what you're buying if you're purchasing online.

19. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

So if I buy this from amazon.ca I assume that I will receive the Canadian copy. Does it sound bad or different from the European version?

20. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

I've had the Canadian splatter-wax vinyl LP in my collection for awhile and only really gave it a serious listen-to a few months ago. I was similarly blown away - and I've been a Kate fan for years. I would agree this record may very well be her high water mark. Certainly one of the most (if not THE most) creative records of the 80's. As for sound quality - I don't have anything to compare it to, but I would imagine the splatter-wax edition is far from definitive though it sure looks cool spinning on my TT!
    ------- Chris

21. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I have the Japanese CD and prefer it very much over the US issue.

22. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The '97 remaster does not sound NR'd to me.....

Fantastic album, though I prefer "side one"(the first five songs)...

Evan

24. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Me too. I'd be interested in hearing where that rumor started.

25. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

"Hounds Of Love" is Kate's best work IMO. It's like being introduced to Pink Floyd with "Dark Side Of The Moon" or your first experience with Yes being "Close To The Edge". Also, like those other classic artists, a lot of Kate's stuff is fantastic. My personal favorites are Hounds, the follow up "Sensual World", and "The Red Shoes" (which is much maligned for some reason). The older albums are great, too. I recommend hunting down "The Whole Story", the collection of "Hits" which followed "Hounds Of Love". Lots of great stuff there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.