Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

On vinyl I recommend the UK EMI 100 pressing which is all analogue.

2. burnthatcandle

burnthatcandle Forum Resident

I don't think the Canadian copies are particularly bad sounding, but my original UK CD's of "The Dreaming" and "Hounds Of Love" are louder and have more presence (which makes the Canadian versions sound like there's a layer of gauze on the speakers in comparison), so I much prefer them.

Plus - the booklets are super-skimpy in the Canadian box, one-page fold-overs with no lyrics unlike the UK issue. The Canadian box just uses the old EMI-America (although they are Canadian pressings) budget line issues, stuck them in the box, they're not specially made for the box (like the two volumes of "This Woman's Work" are - and yes, those are Canadian copies in the Canadian box).

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

This is one if only a handful of tape cassettes I ever bought; my record player was broken at the time it was released, but I was desperate to hear the album as I loved the preceeding single so much (Running Up That Hill). Later in '86/'87 I bought the LP which I still have and sounds great. I think it's a great album but I find some of the keyboards and percussion a bit dated, angular and harsh these days. I never tire of The Dreaming album though, which is a crazy masterpiece and one of my top albums of all time :righton:

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Did you get one of the "marbled" cassettes? Initial USA copies of the vinyl and cassette were limited edition "marbleized" pink & grey - pretty cool. Used to have both years ago, sold them when I bought the cd...:sigh:
    The pink & white lp is from Canada.

Attached Files:

5. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

No, Im pretty sure my cassette was just plain white plastic with just the lettering on it. My Running Up That Hill 7" was a lovely gatefold edition, but that's the only special Kate item I remember having/seeing from that era in the UK, although I think there might have been some picture discs or poster sleeves of maybe Big Sky or Cloudbusting? I really like that Canadian vinyl, the color matches the picture of Kate on the sleeve!

6. davers

davers Forum Resident

Thanks for the great photos jsayers! I'm going to see if I can find one of those marbled lps.

7. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

Marbled LPs I have seen before. That is the first marbled cassette I have ever seen.

8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

While HOL may well have been her nadir for a complete album, some of the individual tracks from later albums are in the same league: 'Love and Anger' from Red Shoes and 'How To Be Invisible' from Aerial to name only two. The alternate versions of the main tracks from HOL on 12" vinyl are also worth seeking out, along with the non-album b-sides. There is a great non-vocal version of 'Running Up That Hill" on 12".

9. NOS300B

NOS300B The Moon Queen

I also love "Love and Anger" except that it is technically from The Sensual World. I haven't heard Red Shoes yet, is it good?

10. burnthatcandle

Kate herself has said that "The Red Shoes" is not an album she's particularly proud of - but I think it's great. "Moments Of Pleasure" is a brilliant song from it that shouldn't be missed - plus it's got Gary Brooker & Prince guesting on it!

edit: and, oh yeah, a couple of guitarists named Eric Clapton & Jeff Beck, whoever they are....

11. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Hey, I like that marbled cassette. Mine was a plain black one.

For anyone interested,

A good version of the HOL video is located here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saturdayson#p/c/82521ABF4401A2CD

Some trivia(though not trivial):

The lines at the beginning of Hounds of Love (It's in the trees-it's coming)are from the Dana Andrews' film "The Night of the Demon". I discovered this courtesy of TCM, which aired it recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_the_Demon

The discussion of the HOL discs is helpful. Thanx.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Love "HOUNDS OF LOVE" and all the related b-sides...but isn't one missing from the deluxe edition?

13. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Wow that's crazy. I can't imagine not having been exposed to Kate. She was part of the fabric of society in the UK! Even lived round the corner from me at Eltham, South London - sometimes spotted shopping in Sainsburys :) Yes of course 'Hounds of Love' is a classic. Also I like 'The Dreaming'. But they are all good for different reasons.

I've been slowly collecting them on vinyl again as over the years I'd migrated Kate to CD in the 80's/90's. The only one I still don't have on vinyl is 'The Red Shoes'. I also found that some of the Australian EMI pressings were excellent - particularly 'The Dreaming' which is on super heavy vinyl. Don't forget to check out her long awaited last album 'Aerial' which is very much like 'Hounds of Love' - but a double LP. One disc has separate songs and the other with continuous movements (like The Seventh Wave on H o Love). I have mixed feelings about a couple of songs on 'Aerial' but generally the balance is very much in the positive. 'Aerial' is a bit tricky to get on vinyl now though, unless you are willing to pay of course!

Definitely check that one out!

14. madman

madman Forum Resident

No love for Lionheart? That's my second fave Kate album, after HOL.

15. imarcq

Yes it is. I had the same experience watching that film once on late night telly a few years ago. I instantly recognised the "It's in the trees..." line too. :righton:

16. burnthatcandle

Three HOL-era b-sides are missing: "The Handsome Cabin Boy", "Not This Time" & the instrumental "Running Up That Hill". In addition, the single version of "The Big Sky" is missing (it has a different intro).

17. imarcq

Of course. In fact I can't think of a track that I don't like on that one! 'Don't Push your Foot on the Heartbrake' was great when Kate did that live. I love 'Coffee Homeground' too. And I always hum 'Oh England My Lionheart' everytime I travel back to UK from Australia when I spot the English coastline from the plane :)

18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Here is the definitive mash-up of the 12" mix of Hounds of Love, live footage of Kate singing it on Top of the Pops, woven in with clip and dialogue from the movie and video from various KB costume epic videos.

Kate Bush in "NIGHT OF THE DEMON" (Hounds Of Love)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAkoCRRJvw

19. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I absolutely love "The Red Shoes". But for some reason it's not universally acclaimed by Kate fans.

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I didn't even KNOW there was a 'special- edition' version of this WONDERFUL album!!!!
    I GOT to get one of those!!!

21. "Not This Time" was the one I was thinking of. What a great song!

22. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Wild, thanx for this.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

You mean the marble vinyl?

I have the EMI 100 anniversary CD & LP (IIRC) and they are wonderful. I just wish the rest of the catalogue was remastered at the same time (with the same sound quality, of course). But I have the Japanese first pressings, This Womans Work (CD and LP boxes) so I'm set.

Listening to "Eat the Music" 4 track EP now. It has Eat the Music, 5:08 & 9:21 (12 inch version), Big Stripey Lie and Candle in the Wind. Despite the drum machines, I love it....

24. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

I think that every one of her albums has some real gems, so obviously you have to get all of them!

25. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

No,, I meant the extra tracks on the re-mastered CD.
    I remember the marble vinyl, 'coz at my college radio station (WFMU, Hofstra) we played it... A LOT!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.