Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Cool! :cheers:

2. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Thank you. Yes, it was a great experience to watch her work and have the occasional chat for a couple of days.

There were some laughs as well. One scene was filmed from the ceiling. I was dancing shoeless on some black felt next to Kate and the guitarists who were on some light card that was meant to be the moon while we held some cigarette lighters meant to be seen as stars.

A crew member held out a roll of gaffa tape towards me. We stopped dancing and everbody looked as I asked what it was for? "Puncture repair kit" kit he replied as he pointed to a hole in one of my socks! :eek:

3. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Amazing story! Thanks for sharing.

I would never have guessed that she smokes. We're lucky she didn't ruin her voice.

Doug

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I love getting introduced to new stuff. :) So I listened to Never for Ever for the very 1st time a day or 2 ago, and I noted 4 songs that I wanted for my "compilation". Just listened to it again, and I liked the whole thing, more. :D She really is a gifted artist, isn't she?

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Lobo, you kind of look like Conan O'Brian in that pic!

Nice stories, by the way, and great pic, too! Kate always said her two vices were tobacco and chocolate.

I love this stuff - I had to go and dig out my remastered version of HOL. A bit louder than my Japan TWW box version, but still excellent. I wish I'd have held onto some of the rare vinyl stuff I had, but, like many of us here, when the box set came out, I dumped almost everything. You see, I'm rather poor....:sigh:

6. live evil

live evil Senior Member

Anyone else have the original white vinyl release?

7. kevin5brown

More catching up ... For the Red Shoes, Amazon has Sony listed for the old US release, and Columbia listed for the import. Anyone know if there's differences/preferences there for mastering quality?

OK, and then from Amazon UK, the Red Shoes on EMI.

Aerial on Sony here, EMI in the UK.

??

I *could* go EMI across the board along with the box I already have ... :)

8. kevin5brown

OK, from the Kate Bush CD Comparison thread:

And,

But these EAC values look *very* similar. Total times are different though.

And then there's one comment in that thread that Aerial is assumed to be the same everywhere. (?)

9. His Masters Vice

His Masters Vice W.C. Fields Forever

She quit back in the nineties.

I have heard that she has been in the studio lately. A couple of musicians she uses have reported that they've been working with her recently. In particular, Danny Thompson (a double-bass player who worked with Kate on "Hounds of Love" and "The Dreaming") mentioned in a recent radio interview that he was currently recording a track with her. This information comes from a BBC Radio Scotland interview, 9 December 2009.

Whether this is part of a new album or just a one-off project is not known. She did do a new song for the film "The Golden Compass" in 2007, so it could just be another project of that kind.

10. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

"the dreaming" is one of my faves of all time. "hounds of love" is her next best but its close to never forever in my list of KB cd's. "the kick inside" is her first and while it has "wuthering heights" you could tell there was more killer tunes yet to come from her.It sounds like a young girls album of songs. "lionheart" is next and its similar only seemingly more mature. Once "hounds" came out i continued picking up her stuff but it seemed the high quaility tunes went away.so for me , dreaming, hounds of love and never forever are the best trilogy.

11. kevin5brown

Just got Aerial and listening to it a bunch today. I like it !! Very mellow and laid back and different and beautiful. Still waiting for the Red Shoes to get here.

12. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Yeah, The Sensual World is by far my least favorite album of her's. As usual there are some fantastic songs, but as a whole I don't like the production all that much. And that very 'trebly' vibrato she uses while singing isn't my cup of tea, either. Probably she was trying to blend her voice better with the Trio Bulgarka, though.

13. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

This was a great thread - I found it via search and it motivated me to pick up the TWW box. Kate is a genius!

14. phish

phish Jack Your Body

where did you grab that?

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

16. Doc Sarvis

Doc Sarvis Forum Resident

I bought one of the used copies on Amazon US, but it looks like they have at least one new copy.

17. thos

thos Forum Resident

good one! that would be the kind of tape used on a kate bush production!!

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Suspended in gaffa then?

Evan

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

yikes, $155 and up on there and ebay (one copy sans box for less)

is the original pressing the same mastering as the reissue?

20. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Indeed, though the irony was lost on me at that moment! I still have a couple of souveneirs from that video shoot. I have some "Big Sky" cigarette lighters that they used in the video and some bits and pieces that she signed for me. I got a 'Dear Karl' Maybe I was in with a chance! :laugh:

[​IMG]

21. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I think this was discussed here before, but still.. Each country seemed to put it's own pressings in the 'Woman's Work' box. So there's UK in the UK one, Canadian in the Canada one, Japan :D in the Japanese one.. not sure if there was ever a US one, thank goodness. Most around here seem to be the UK import.

I got a couple of CDs that were clearly from the japan box set in trade. Once I'd heard them, I bought the lot. It's a wonderful set in every respect. Don't forget the two (!) disks of rarities, b-sides and 12inch mixes.

22. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Happiness is not playing the first Kate Bush cd is so long that when you finally dig it out you remember that it is a Japanese black triangle.

Life is good. :D

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Loads of info here, but nothing definitive about what medium/version is the best and I really would like to replace my worn-out LP! Is vinyl the way to go? Is UK vinyl the best choice? What cd sounds the best; Japan or original/remastered?

24. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Hounds of Love?

UK vinyl is OK, but I think the best sound is on the CD remaster with extra tracks. Avoid the US Manhattan original. I also like the Japan issue from the Womans Work set. It sounds like they did a newer A-D conversion for the remastered CD, it's not on the whole a lot different to the Japan until the second side comes up. I suspect this was compiled badly, either analog tape copies or more likely old digital. The new disc is a little cleaner sounding.

Looks like they're all OOP in the USA. Available from the UK though.

25. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

:laughup: You beat me to it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.