Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

Don't know about the vinyl but the CD is too bass heavy, too quiet and muddy sounding in places. A lot of the vocals sound off as well, as if she was singing through a towel. Her worst to my ears by some distance.
    Thankfully the follow up sounded better. Maybe the vinyl does sound good but I'm not a vinyl fan.

2. Understood. That could be. But you are missing on on all her vinyl albums. The remasters of Hounds and Sensual are amazing.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    Grohlfan likes this.
  3. Cloudbuster

I don't doubt it as I've heard good things about those remasters, but I've too many issues with vinyl to go back there.

jsayers and Mazzy like this.
  4. Cloudbuster

Ireland top 100 albums:

#08 The Whole Story
    #18 Hounds Of Love
    #46 50 Words For Snow
    #80 The Sensual World
    #89 The Kick Inside
    #96 Director's Cut

Sammy Waslow and theMess like this.
  5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

This talk of Kate's weight is very bothersome to the folks interested in Kate Bush and the topic of Live Shows. We're getting complaints, so I'll ask that everyone keep away from that issue, please.

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Can someone post the remaining dates please?

7. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

A friend who attended tonight just wrote me about tonight's setlist. Same'ol , same 'ol. Looks like this set is set for the duration.

His opinion after seeing it, was similar to mine in that two concept pieces was one too many and the the second half of the show is a real letdown as "Sky of Honey" pales in every way against "The Ninth Wave" and that "It's like putting the DVD of "Magical Mystery Tour" on straight away after you've watched "A Hard Days Night". I would add he is a massive fan and not just of her early work. He said the audience response was over-the-moon throughout. It's a tribute to the love that all of Britain has for Kate that the usually brutal British press has shied away from the obviously inevitable "Pounds of Love " headlines. He was wondering if that would stand throughout the run.

ippudo and Paul H like this.
  8. I for one love Aerial and would love to see it performed. .

9. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Sounds like a good night in!

I don't have KB tickets, I like her, though I'm not a huge fan, but these shows sound exactly like the sort of thing I'd expect from her and I find people bitching about it surprising. If I had been waiting 35 years to see her live and knowing what her old shows were like I'd expect people to be very pleased with what they've seen. The lack of hits sounds like a wet-dream to most bands' fans - Macca fans would love this sort of hits-free show for example.

10. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Do The Beatles have to be mentioned in every single thread on any artist not even remotely connected to them? Why you say Same 'ol Same o'l? That was her 3rd date in 35 years did you really expect a radically different set list? It is a set concept piece, we know that. Please take your negativity away from this thread and go back to the hundreds of Beatles threads and discuss Paul McCartney's set lists, vest n pants combos and whatever else it is you can still find to discuss about him. Away with you.

11. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I think I may have mused on this earlier. I can only speak for myself obviously but Kate's utter absence from stage for so many years makes her something of an outlier in this regard. I have the utmost respect for her for putting on the show she wants to put on. In all honesty, I couldn't conceive of her doing it any other way. And yet, for all that, the reason I was nervous as a schoolboy before his first day when tickets went on sale was the thought of watching Kate perform the highlights of that incredible back catalogue.

Sky of Honey is a fine piece of work but - for me - it isn't strong enough (and the visual element of the show wasn't strong enough either) to justify taking up so much stage time.

Put another way: would I have rather seen Sunset than Army Dreamers? Nope. Would I have preferred Nocturn to The Man With The Child In His Eyes? Nope. And there's the rub.

I enjoyed the show and was glad to have seen it but the second half really was an anti climax after the first.

Here's my hope (and it's an optimistic one, I know):

Kate will enjoy this run of shows. It will get her over that hurdle of having been away so long. In the next couple of years Kate will put out a new album, and follow it with a series of dates similar to the current run (I can't see her touring). Having got the song cycles out of her system, she'll save Ninth Wave for the grand finale and, instead, start to dip her toe into the waters of her back catalogue.

Initially, I thought Kate revisiting old songs would be artistically bankrupt but the more I think about it the less convinced I am.

Songs like Army Dreamers would surely take on greater potency and meaning if being sung by a mother. Kate could easily strip away some of the original arrangements of those early songs and rework them and that, in itself, would be a very worthwhile exercise. Here's hoping.

theMess likes this.
  12. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

I am still hoping for some extra shows. Is this unlikely ? Does anyone know if the venue is available after this run of dates ?
    Jim

13. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

There's no room to extend the run...As soon as she's done, there's other shows waiting to move in

theMess and jsayers like this.
  14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I really enjoyed this portion of the concert. There seem to be some people who are lukewarm to it, but i was fine with the more understated visual aspects of this segment. I can't fault the music or performance.

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  15. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

A day to dismantle the enterprise, and then the comedians move back to their hallowed ground.
    I believe that will be that, return to live performance ticked off Kates bucket list.
    I am attending the final night. Perhaps there might be a slight variation that evening but I'm not holding my breath. A three hour running time, theater time constraints etc. The shows the show. It may be three hours but she's hardly Springsteen, although it would be great to see her taking requests off hastily written pieces of cardboard!

theMess and ConnieGuitar like this.
  16. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Those who complain about the missing first hits should consider, that this might be the second and final "tour" (not really tour..) of her life.
    And so it would be a waste of time to repeat songs from the first tour, when there are so many songs since then, that wait to be performed for the first time at all.
    One day there will be a DVD/Blue Ray-Box of those two "tours" and then everybody will be happy to have her whole career documented in those two concerts instead of the same songs twice.

ConnieGuitar and Mazzy like this.
  17. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

It just makes it worst when you wanted a ticket and would have loved to have gone and both appreciate both old and new Kate Bush and people post that they went and it wasn't good enough.

I wonder if some of these people actually understand what type of artist Kate Bush is?

It was never going to be a greatest hits show, a 50 something old woman belting out songs from the early part of her a career would have been absurd and she knew it plus Kate has never been someone to repeat herself. The only way she would return to the stage was if she had a new statement to make.

The fact she choose to feature both the Ninth Wave and Sky of Honey the majority of the show with the odd hit she obviously felt comfortable doing was to me admirable and some people are sorry to say but bloody ungrateful. Just save your money next time and give someone a chance who actually would have wanted to be there and not someone who fancy themselves as her new career adviser and suggestions for her set list, someone of you should listen to yourselves at times.

These comments got my blood boiling, it was pretty clear when it was announced this wasn't going to be a nostalgia blow out. My Wife and I would have gladly taken these people's ticket who felt let down as even though we tried at 9am on the day they went on sale we did not get any.

Those who have shows to go to I hope you enjoy yourself but you've had your warning from these disappointed people if your likely to be in the same camp there are plenty of people out there who would be more than grateful and not moan about her not doing Wuthering Heights or Wow or whatever song you would like to hear and appreciate her artistic statement for what it is.

Why is it the people who moan about things are always the ones who get the tickets? I know it's not everyone who's like this but as someone who missed out then to come on and hear people complaining it really rubs salt into the wounds, save your money next time and give someone else a chance.

18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I've been thinking exactly the same over the last few days. If Kate enjoys these few weeks (and there's no reason at the moment to suggest she isn't doing), then she may decide that doing live shows is something she would like to do a little more often.

Putting on something this huge (production wise), might be something that would seem a little daunting on a more regular basis, so maybe that will open up the possibility of more "stripped back" shows in the future, where we get to see Kate at a piano doing a wider range of those old classics, that she's never had chance to get bored of playing.

Sounds straight forward enough in theory anyway!

theMess and ippudo like this.
  19. ippudo

ippudo Forum Resident

I can totally see this. Now with the big theatrical production out of the way, which I guess people kind of expected after what came before and especially after such a long absence, she might want to do more stripped-down and less exhausting shows.

theMess likes this.
  20. martinb

martinb Senior Member

I'd rather see an artist putting on the show they want, rather than playing half-hearted versions of what (some) people in the audience want.

Let's face it, before these shows were announced, we would have all jumped at the chance to see Kate Bush performing The Ninth Wave and A Sky Of Honey live.

21. Paul H

I sincerely hope this jibe isn't aimed at me just because I was honest enough to say that I didn't enjoy Sky of Honey as much as I enjoyed the Ninth Wave. If it was, I'd ask you to go back and re-read my posts.

(I get it that you're disappointed you didn't get tickets. That must hurt. But when one has spent £300 on tickets, I think one has the right to be honest about how much they enjoyed the show.)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    Six String and showtaper like this.
  22. Paul H

Well, I'd have jumped at the chance to see The Ninth Wave. I'd have been a little less keen knowing that an hour was going to be dedicated to Sky of Honey.

(OT: whereabouts in "Sherwood Forest" are you, Martin? That's my, um, homeground...)

23. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

If you think that's bad, I hope you didn't see the letter in the Metro newspaper from a guy who stated that he went to the box office on the first day, just on the off-chance that there would be some tickets, and they sold him a spare ticket for £60...He then went on to complain that the show wasn't particularly great value for money:cussing:

I think the letter may have been a wind-up...Are there really tickets available as 'returns' ??

24. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Google?

25. martinb

martinb Senior Member

I'm about 15 miles east of Nottingham. I see what you did there with homeground, very good:)

Six String likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.