Kate Bush Live Shows 2014 *Spoiler* Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Based on what I've heard so far, this link has an excellent audience recording of the opening night performance:

http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=1957

Given that I'm attending the show in a couple of weeks, I'm somewhat torn about listening to this, but I have no doubt that Kate's performance will be far more confident and stronger 21 shows in than it was here, and I know all the tracks extremely well, so I guess here I go...

EwaWoowa likes this.
  2. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident

Don't base your expectations on an audience recording. I can assure you from seeing King Crimson last weekend that there is no way it can accurately depict what you will experience in person with your own ears.

3. TSmithPage

Yeah, having listened to King Crimson's Road to Red in its entirety, I know audience recordings can cut both ways. I saw Paul Weller live last week and the sound was so cranked up and distorted, I wish I could have just listened to the soundboard instead. That said, I know that nothing will compare to seeing this show live. :)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Beetlebum

Beetlebum Forum Resident

Wish I was going with you! :wave:

5. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Yes, it did. Near the end of A Sky Of Honey.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We were sitting in the 6th row, thus not really exposed to the main line array (a JBL Versatec system, I think) but we had a nice set of speakers roughly 20 feet from us and the sound level was always comfortable. They started working in the theater 3 weeks before the first show, and I got the distinct impression that the system engineer(s) had a wonderfully luxurious amount of time to tune the system, wandering through the theater with a tablet computer.

7. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Alright -
    off to Liverpool tonight to do some Beatles haunts this weekend, visit friends and watch the Mighty Reds (who, of course, will be playing away at West Ham while I'm up their way! )
    then
    down to London for Yoko Ono on Monday night, the Snap Galleries exhibitions Tuesday afternoon and last but certainly not least, Kate Bush on Tuesday night.

I've done a decent job of staying away from most spoilers but it really wouldn't matter - it'd be an absolute treat regardless. Can't really believe it's finally happening after all this time though I'm one of the last on here to see the show!

Should also be a very interesting Thursday night/Friday morning coming up - history in the making perhaps.

Ta-ra, y'all!

imarcq, Cloudbuster and Dr.O'Boogie like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Cool. Always nice to know I hadn't started hallucinating.

Both books are excellent, but I can heartily recommend the Guido Harari one. He's a wonderfully warm and sweet guy, and is responsible for some of the most amazing images of Kate ever. His stuff is on the lower floor of the gallery. Here's me and my wife and some friends posing in front of one of my favorites of Guido's work:

[​IMG]

Oh, and make sure you look at the reflection of the sign in the window as you leave. You'll see something you probably have never seen before.

9. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

Nice picture! I preordered Guido's book as soon as your wife posted the information about the exhibit in the old thread. Will be picking up my copy when I swing by.

Will do!

10. BKarloff

BKarloff Forum Resident

Yes. That happens at the end of the Sky of Honey suite. I do actually remember that bit.

11. Chris DeVoe

Proving (as if it needed proving) that all Hoffman forum threads eventually veer Beatles-ward, Paul was apparently in the audience this evening.

Here's a very young Kate covering a Beatles tune:

theMess, ConnieGuitar and PH416156 like this.
  12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Has anyone on the Bush forums admitted to attending more than 2 of the shows?

13. Chris DeVoe

I've heard of people going to as many as five shows.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

When/where's that from?

15. Chris DeVoe

Sound in S a Japanese TV show from back in June 1978. She also did She's Leaving Home.

It was part of a Japanese trip to appear at the Tokyo Song Festival. She also did a Seiko watch commercial.

Oh, and an utterly bizarre dance routine while two Japanese women sang Them Heavy People (miscredited on the screen as Rolling The Ball.) I will not link to it as there are some things that, once seen, can never been un-seen.

theMess and kwadguy like this.
  16. Almost all of her dance routines are uttely bizarre.

I love Kate but i also remember my girlfriend and I watching a VHS Whole Story tape of her videos in the late 80s. My girlfriend kept laughing at her dancing and we had to turn it off about half way through.

17. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

Went to Snap Gallery yesterday. Great stuff. Loved the Lionheart outtake. So much more detail than the album cover reveals. I also funnily enough took my pic infront of the same photograph as Chris did above.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  18. ianhilluk

ianhilluk Forum Resident

I've been to 2 shows and have 1 more left. Had to make the most of it. May never happen again.

19. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I'll be popping into Guy on Saturday to collect my books. :D

imarcq likes this.
  20. TSmithPage

This is on my list of things "to do" on my first day in London on the 29th. I'd like to buy both books while there. 7 work days and counting... :)

imarcq likes this.
  21. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

But it has to be seen to be believed.

Cloudbuster and tin ears like this.
  22. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

What I thought when I was watching her was how confident she was. If she had been suffering from stage fright, she shows no sign of it here. It's as if she was an old hand at it. Strange she left it so long to play live again.

23. Chris DeVoe

Don't say I didn't warn you.

The Greek gods would send birds of prey to tear out the eyes of their believers to spare them from witnessing such things.

24. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I see it. But, I still can't believe it!

johnnyyen likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I don't know where this "stage fright" myth came from. I've read hundreds of interviews with Kate, and that was never the issue.

As far as I can tell she worked herself into exhaustion on the Tour of Life due to her own perfectionism. She was not willing to do another show unless she could top that one. She has said that she intended to return to the stage several times, and moves had been made in that direction. At one point in the early 90s, Jam Productions in Chicago was contacted about renting the Chicago Theater. At another point, she was working with Jim Henson's Creature Shop on effects for a tour. She bought two additional Fairlights, at least one of which was in a road case on the cover of Keyboard magazine.

The other myth is that she is scared of flying. I'm pretty sure she's not fond of it, but my wife and I met her plane when she came to the US to promote Hounds of Love.

I think anyone who has been lucky enough to have seen a Before the Dawn concert will know just how fearless Kate is.

sunspot42, blackholesun and johnnyyen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.