Kate Bush Remasters 2018.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dunkrag, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

IIRC after her first two albums she licensed her recordings to EMI via Novercia Ltd. Not sure if the rights to the first two albums reverted to her as part of the licensing agreement or not.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

The Empty Bullring is the big surprise to me so very sad it has been omitted.
    Like many I had hoped for a comprehensive round up of all previously released tracks (and then some+++)
    I can deal with Ken being left off and to a lesser extent Not This Time.(on which I find the instrumentation a bit overblown...I would love to hear this stripped back on the piano)

3. GoodVibrations47

GoodVibrations47 Every living being is a dancer

Forgive my laziness in not having time to watch the full interview again .....can you kindly shed any further light on what you are referring to as the possible spark?

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

She seated in front of a window, and the interviewer mentions that they might have some difficulty splicing the parts of the interview together because the light in the weather outside is changed during the course of the interview. Kate respond said it would be great have a video and just be going from light to dark and through different seasons. You can see her putting that idea into the back of her mind.

5. Chris DeVoe

That was when Bob Mercer allowed Kate and her family to negotiate a new contract. The details are a matter of conjecture, but it's pretty obvious from how she's managed her career that it's truly unique. Novercia, and later Nobel and Brite (I'm sure it's an anagram for something - why else would it be misspelled?) are corporations with a single product - Kate Bush. And they license that product to record companies. But even her first contract was exceptional, in that cost for the recording were not charged against Kate's royalties, Mercer considered that "immoral". Kate repaid his ethical treatment by sticking closely to him, and even after he moved to America (and invented the Now That's What I Call Music series) she would count on him as a trusted counsel. His son Jackson Mercer is with Concorde.

Bob Mercer may well have included an end date on their ownership of the first two albums, he was by all accounts an exceptional record executive.

6. Chris DeVoe

I had a long bus trip this evening coming home from the movies, and watched the whole interview. The discussion happens around 3:30 in Part 5. The camera operator mentions that it's getting dark, and might be hard to edit together with the earlier part where it's lighter. The interviewer says "We won't jump cut too much." Kate says "Hmmm...we could have completely different weather in every scene. Have it snowing, then brilliant sunshine..."

If you only watch one part of the interview, watch Part 5. She talks about the first music she bought.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The typos are on both pressings - 'Cloud Busting' as two words on the record label, and the Nobel and Brite (Noble and Bright?) mis-spelling on the album cover and also the label (I think!)

My copy of the LP (more of a 'dark' splatter') has no number on the back whereas the one I've just bought (lighter colour) has '2782'.

imarcq likes this.
  8. HelpImARock

HelpImARock Active Member

Well, It isn't known with certainty where the pressings will occur. Fish People tends to use Optimal for vinyl. That is a German plant, capable of excellent work, but not as reliable as Pallas. Rhino has tended to use RTI for pressings in North America and Optimal for pressings in the EU. RTI is certainly a top tier pressing plant in the USA, capable of excellent work, and highly reliable though perhaps not quite as anal as the folks at Pallas.

I have my fingers crossed for RTI pressings on the Rhino label in North America. RTI pressings tend to have a quieter noise floor than Optimal pressings; and RTI seems to have better QC.

Sadly, the Canadian record pressing industry seems to be a shadow of its former self. In their day, they did excellent work. Are there any plants left up north or did NAFTA do them in?

imarcq likes this.
  9. imarcq

imarcq Men are from Mars, I'm from Bromley...

You can't blame Kate not letting anyone else near her albums, when some can't even get the basic song names correct! Hopefully, now on Fish People, she would have ensured all is as intended. :)

JP Christian likes this.
  10. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Just played Ninth Wave on my AF issue: my goodness...

It's made me forget what I was going to post.

Breathtaking.

11. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Could it be that there was a 40 year contract of ownership with the first two albums? It is interesting that the first lot of remasters will be coming out just a few days after Lionheart turns 40.

sunspot42, Chris DeVoe and ad180 like this.
  12. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

She tends to have that effect on me as well, especially The Ninth Wave side of Hounds Of Love (although, I love the entire album). Brilliant music.

steviebee and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Who knows? But a record executive who wouldn't charge everything possible back to the artist royalties might do it. His obit in the Independent described him as "Straightforward and generous to a fault with artists and colleagues..."

Bob Mercer: Music industry executive who signed Kate Bush

It's worth noting that Kate's oldest brother John studied law, although he never practiced. But it's a given that her contract was carefully read and negotiated.

Max Florian likes this.
  14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm taking a huge chance buying both boxes, but, what the hell? Instant complete Kate Bush CD collection!

Merrick, bob60 and tin ears like this.
  15. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I didn’t read the full thread, but wondering - I already have all Kate Bush cds in mini lp cd from japan, are those consider to have good sound quality?

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I have the Japan mini LP Kick Inside CD.

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They are just the standard CDs in mini-LP packaging (one mastering worldwide, except HOL). So yes, they sound good.

scobb likes this.
  18. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

Based on that, do you believe that upgrading is necessary? If the rarities and maxi singels were included in the first box, it was much easier for me to justify the purchase.

Evan L likes this.
  19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Agree.

20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I’m happy the individual cds will be sold seperately....

21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Not the rarities.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think the original CDs can be bested, but we have to wait the new remasters are released before we know! :)

Boaz likes this.
  23. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The first two albums are hard to better in sound, imo. Especially Lionheart sounds breathtaking on CD! But I agree with you - we'll have to wait and maybe the new remasters are really definitive :wave:

ad180 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Lionheart definitely sounds good although I would not count it among my best sounding CDs. Pretty good overall but the bass is a bit muddy and Kate’s voice lacks focus.

In contrast The Sensual World sounds bloody awful on CD. Does anyone know whether this could be improved by a remaster, or is the problem with the master tape?

25. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Ordered from Amazon.co.uk, hoping the infamous Chicago mail doesn't eat the package whole before its arrival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.