Katy Lied CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Evan, Jul 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

I purchased a CD copy of Katy Lied, MCAD 37043 DIDX 373. Inner ring, MCAD 37043 S1E:1. The case has smooth sides, no bar code, a full color rear insert (no the cheesy cross pattern) and was made in japan for MCA. It has a thuddy dry sound similar to my made in the USA copy (with the cheesy cross pattern) I bought in college but is noticeably better sounding(more air? less wool?), particularly the vocals. I was wondering, could this be Steve’s version? How would one tell? :confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Evan

2. Matt

Matt New Member

That could be it, Evan. Is the MCA logo on the sides the older, "blockish" kind or a the more sleek, angular one? I think Steve's version is the initial pressing. Then came the cross pattern with the "Compact Price" label, then the '93 remaster, then the '98 remaster.

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member Thread Starter

Matt,

If by "blockish" you mean thick lettering, then, yes it is "blockish". The first 5000 units pressed were mastered by Steve (per his discography). I also noticed that the catalog number is different than the cross pattern version I have (MCAD-31194). When I checked the AMG, it did not mention the catalog number MCAD 37043. Curious. :confused:
    The more I listen to it though, the more I believe that Steve mastered it. The vocals are much more natural, the piano sounds real, and the wind chimes on the intro to Doctor Wu sound like wind chimes. It's a keeper :love:

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Congratulations on your find, Evan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.