--keep-foreign-metadata command for FLAC encoding - help please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrRom92, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel Thread Starter

Stuck in a bit of a rut here. I've tried searching the web but all I've found are threads on other forums where the poster is eventually told "you don't need to do that for your purposes" and a solution is never found or explained.

I have a wav file, not ripped from disc - it is direct from a recording studio. The wav has markers with mixing notes which can be viewed when loaded into a DAW.

I do not want to discard this original data.

The --keep-foreign-metadata command is said to be able to retain this data when encoding to FLAC. From what I understand, it is not accessible within the FLAC file itself, but should be available once again if decompressed back to WAV with the command also - it would be as if it were the original file.

I have tried adding the --keep-foreign-metadata command at the end of the commands listed in foobar. But foobar spits out an error the second it tries to do the conversion from wav to FLAC. With this command removed it of course encodes just fine.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. MrRom92

Update: tried it manually via command line and it worked just fine. Thanks anyway fam

3. MrRom92

Maybe we can change the title and open this to discussion of the FLAC encoder. Are there any other "specialty" commands that are not well known but may come in handy in unique situations? for what it's worth the --keep-foreign-metadata command worked great in the cli on encoding, and when the command was used again for decompression the original producer's markers were able to be viewed once the WAV was loaded into a DAW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.