Keep Loosing Bass

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Leonthepro, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

No problem. Thanks for the input.

2. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

You’d need the schematic, then pop it open and test each cap against spec with a multimeter. Honestly it’s really a job for a professional, since the amount of power those caps hold is unsafe if you have no electronics repair experience. A general rule of thumb my local tech told me is ~30 years self life on caps, so it’s 99% sure to need a recap regardless of detectable issue. I’d seek out a quote and lead time from a local tech and as always compare that cost against a new amp or newly refurbished piece unless you have a sentimental tie to yours.

That’s good to hear with the Nag, always considering going up the ladder with their line.

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

I see, thanks for the info. Dont think its ever been refurbished to be honest.

The only gripe with Nags are that the stylus only ever becomes of high grade on the last in the line for 800$. I wish the 200 had a hyper elliptical instead of a .4x.7 one. And is probably .4 to have the same contact area as a normal conical instead of smaller and causing more wear. Only a few records of mine give off a little distortion because of it anyway, smart compromise I think.

4. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

Do you have a spare cartridge to swap back in and rule the MP200 in or out?

5. Leonthepro

Technically yes, but switching is hard not only since it takes time but also because I dont have tools to do it myself. Ill continue experimenting with records to see when the problem pops up.

6. Leonthepro

I also think I was experiencing too much low end yesterday night. 1 record sounded notably muffled and boomy compared to when I try it again today. Might just be my imagination and too low listening levels though.

7. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Definitely sounds like something is malfunctioning. I'd just open up the amp case and take a look. If you see swollen or leaking capacitors, your problem is obvious.

Leonthepro likes this.
  8. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Haha, keeping in mind not to touch anything too soon after unplugging, unless you’re looking for a jolt awake.

Seriously though, a recapped vintage amp is going to sound great, and should restore normal frequency range to the component. Lots of the “dull” and “warm” comments made about vintage receivers today are most byproducts of units running severely out of spec. A good tech will also deoxidize the whole thing for you too. This can also be the cause of some issues if the amp has tone controls without a bypass, but it looks like the Cyrus has zero tone controls.

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. Leonthepro

Thanks guys, Ill definitely have someone look at it asap!

And yes @zombiemodernist thats one of the reasons I got the Cyrus, I prefer minimalist designs that just deliver the music as best it can for the price.

zombiemodernist likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.