Keeping music collections separate from significant other

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Keeping music collections seperate from significant other

Just curious, how many of us keep our music collections apart from the significant other's collection? I keep mine seperate because I guess it's a carryover from my single days, and I have my collection and stereo in another room.

2. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

We keep ours separate as well, Grant. Mine is in the basement on dozens of shelves and hers is mostly in the Garth Brooks section. :p
    My daughter has a little collection started too. It's in a little basket in her roon. Raffi is in the house but so is a killer Baby Beatles disc by Jellyfisher Jason Faulkner. I would love to get this disc for SH when his baby is born. When we dim the lights in her room and pop in this Baby Beatles disc Sarah Bess chills right out. We were just listening to it in fact...

Cheers-
    Norm

3. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Nothing is safe from my wife when I'm not at home and she decides to clean or rearrange my stuff.:(

4. audio

audio New Member

We keep our discs separate also. I am the only one in the house who touches my cds. If she wants to play one of mine, I burn a copy. Neurotic? Mabye, but it's not her money and time invested in this collection. I've even given her sealed MFSL and DCC stuff as gifts in the past and they're all still sitting there in the shrink wrap. She's never even played them. For her birthday, I had a cd player installed in her car and made her a bunch of cds. Every time I get in the car with her, she's been listening to classic hits radio instead. The bottom line is that she's just not that into listening to music, though we have almost identical tastes. I guess living with a music junkie maybe takes the sheen off of the whole business for her or something. She got mad when I wanted to put a low wattage tube amp, cd player, and small set of vintage speakers in the bedroom, so whatever. It's part of the reason I spend so much time on the forum. I've got nobody to talk about music and gear with at home. At least our 2 year old has good taste. She ended up getting the tube system that was supposed to go in the bedroom and she plays it every day.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Oh, every now and then my DCC Al Green, my Pink Floyd's "The Wall", and my 70s disco collections will come up missing from my library, and guess where I can always find them...im my wife's stereo or computer!

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

All melded together like one happy marriage...When she wants to listen to her Cee Dee's, she just asks me to find them! Hmm, who's in control here? :laugh:

7. Ben

Ben New Member

Same here, Grant....I'll go looking for one of my MFSL or DCC Gold's and find it in the wife's car CD cart in the trunk....at first, I bristled at it and then thought - what the hell- she also helps bring in the gelt around here, she digs the music too...so....

Sigh.

Married life is mostly good....Ben.

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

My girlfriend thinks that I'm insane when it comes to music. When we first met she was awestruck by how HUGE my music collection is (cd and vinyl, mostly cd). We have almost the same taste, she's a Rush freak just like me (how many girls do you know that are Rush fanatics?). She's into techno, that's about the only area where are tastes dont agree with each other. Her music is kept separate from mine, just so I don't freak out when I'm looking for a specific album and can't find it.

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Most of our discs are together, though my fiancee has a very small music collection. Many of her CDs are soundtracks, and she keeps them separate because she says she would never be able to find in with my large collection. :)

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This sounds like my situation exactly - minus the tube amp.

My wife says I have ruined the experience of listening to music for her, because it is all I do with my free time at home. Also the fact that I LISTEN, from the sweet spot, etc. drives her crazy. She says that music is supposed to be a relaxing task, not one where you sit in one particular spot, staring into space and analzying all aspects of a recording.

I also make CD-R copies of CDs my wife wants, since she has borrowed many of my gold discs, taken them to work or put them in her car. In doing so she has put minor scratches on many of these discs.
    :rolleyes:

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

My collection takes up half the house and her collection is under 40 CDs which she keeps at work. It' not really that big of a problem. Any new CDs we buy are added to my stuff. She really great about keeping them in alphabetical order, bless her heart. :)

She never even touches the vinyl. If she wants to hear something she goes for the CD I made. She really has respect for all these records. I think she knows how much work I've done and how much I love my collection.

12. reechie

reechie Senior Member

It's pretty easy to spot my wife's CD's...Those four big shelving unit's worth are mine, that little one in the corner has her's in the second row (the first row is all the Christmas CD's!).

We've only recently bought our first new car with a CD player in it, and I insisted on the rule being that no "real" CD's get left in the car at any time. To that end, I've made up a bunch of compilations on CD-R, and if I plan to listen to an album there for an extended period, I burn a copy rather than taking the actual disc. So far, it's worked out great, she tells me what stuff she wants to listen to in the car, and I just put together custom discs for her.

13. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

What about those of us still living with our parents? :sigh:

I have my sisters to ravage and plunder my CDs round here (they won't come anywhere near the LPs, the cleaning lady takes care of wrecking the occasional one every now and then :realmad: ).

I'm actually OK with them listening to my stuff -- I started the whole thing back when they were younger and more impressionable ;) by 'forgetting' specific CDs in their room(s). Over time the Christina Aguilera, Ricky Martin and such other fluff started to give way to Bowie, The Doors, The Beatles, Stooges, Smiths, Cure, Leonard Cohen, Guided By Voices, etc. etc.

Problem is they won't leave my CDs alone now! :laugh: I did teach them proper care and luckily the number of accidents has been low.

Cheers

14. Damián

hey Norm, what's the title of the Faulkner disc? Sounds interesting..

15. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm so glad Jason did that album. I heard he was doing an album of Beatles tunes. I'm happy he had a unique approach. I actually put that CD in a lot.

16. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

We have pretty much the same tastes so there really is no mine and her's, it's all ours. She's too leery of the turntable to touch it though. Especially after the first Dynavector cart broke and Dynavector blamed me and wouldn't cover it under warranty. She's gotta learn the tube amp now, too.

17. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I keep all my redbook CDs with my wife's, but all DCCs, MFSLs, and SACDs get kept in a "special" place.

18. Damián

I real-l-l-l-y like your avatar Cliff :D. Seriously, Brittany Murphy is a beauty. I like her better myself with dark hair though. :love:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Um.. you might find this interesting BTW. Um, .. yea and I keep my CDs in the socks drawer :laugh:.

19. RDK

RDK Active Member

My wife is more than welcome to play anything in my collection, but since such a large percentage is jazz and other stuff she doesn't really care for it's really not much of an issue. Our music is mostly comingled, but the discs that are strictly "hers" - that is, stuff that I don't like - are mostly kept separate. But only because she could never find them otherwise.

Generally, when I'm around, the choice as to what to play is usually mine, but I'm careful not to put on things that she wouldn't like. I think she takes the opportunity to play things that I wouldn't normally listen to when I'm not around or when she's in the car.

I would never in a million years tell her not to touch my stuff. I would be thrilled, in fact, if she took it upon herself to play my gold DCCs or beloved Mosaics.

20. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Thanks for the link, Damian! VERY nice. :love:

21. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Hard to believe she was so chunky in "Clueless". It barely even looks like her!

22. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Some of my wife's CD's are separate some are mixed in with mine. She has a 6 CD changer in her trunk, which I'm not nuts about. If she want's something I bought, for her car, I CD-R it. It works for us.

23. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going out to buy a new CD type of cabinet that comes with a lock on it. This way I will always know where my CD's and other important music things are and I will be the only one with the keys that it comes with.
    This way the wife can't be blamed nor can she say things like get these out of the way or I'm gonna move them~~~:D

24. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

We keep ours together as there is a good amount of overlap.

It does make my friends laugh to see Andy Partridge next to the Partridge Family CDs!

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Can't keep her away from some of the Steve Hoffman stuff and the MFSL as well. Seems like she always wants to borrow those.

It's uncanny, like she's not even tryin'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.