Keeping music collections separate from significant other

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

What do you mean Sckott, when you say it's uncanny, like she's not even tryin??

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

She was going to see some friends of her's one Saturday, and she asked to borrow 10 CDS.

4 of them were SH DCC's,
    4 of them were MFSLs, and not ]['s either.
    Then there was another Polydor Allman Bros disc.

OH NO YOU DON'T! I said, "Why is it that you go for the most expensive discs in my collection!?"

That's what I meant, sorry....

3. nashreed

nashreed New Member

It would be really hard for me to have CD's in the house that weren't "integrated" into the collection. So "hers" are part of the "monster". I invariably ask her if there's anything she wants me to leave out for her, but she also gets so completely "stuck" on some CD's that they've been left out for months!!! (Evanescence "Fallen" and Sarah McLachlan "Surfacing"- any proven ways to get your loved one to expand their musical horizons????)

I am pretty flightly with my musical tastes and get bored easily- so I don't have a complete collection of any one artists' CD's- even ones that I LOVE, yet including my wifes' CD's into it, there's two artists who we have literally every single recorded note available on disc: the Corrs and Chris De Burgh. And if anybody knows where I can get a copy of Evanescence's first CD for under $150 I would be most grateful :help: .....

James

4. Beatle Terr

Now that's what I call taking a stand. Good for you!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    So did she get the discs or not??? :love:

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Our CD collection is mixed up.

Hers is very small and consists of some Springsteen, Beatles and a few others.

And "others" like Kenny G.

Those "others" are buried deep. Waaaay deep. ;)

Gee wizzzz, Damián, you've never said that about any of my avatars....??? :confused:

6. Beatle Terr

[​IMG] Brittney Murphy's a MINK!!

7. Beatle Terr

Ooops that didn't work. Oh darn just look a Cliff's avatar then.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

My mother actually gave me her LPs and so did one of my aunt and those are with my personal collection to begin with. My sister only borrows a few CDs she likes as well as me but she does not ever touch much of my classic country, my rock and roll oldies CDs, and my pop standards and misc. CDs. Although my sister mainly listens to top 40 and Norah Jones is very popular right now, she does not like her music at all but I do. She calls a lot of my music "nerdy" music. What she calls "cool music" is mostly rap, modern R&B, pop, and some country (mainly top 40 country chart material and stuff not much earlier than Garth Brooks but with some exceptions).

9. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

If I ever do, you have my permission to commit me! :D

10. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

My wife once built me CD and album shelves. Her albums took up 1/8 of the album space and a couple of rows out of about 30 for the CD shelves. As my CD collection has expanded, the LPs have gone to the basement, I've bought her some CDs so that she now has 4 rows for her CDs, and I've absorbed the rest of the space, and then some...

11. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My better half's LP's are at the beginning of my LP collection. I alphabetisized them and they stay that was as she almost never plays them. I play them more often than she does, I think.
    The CD's (which are also kept at the beginning of my collection) on the other hand are played pretty regularly and they're never put back in order (that would be too, uh, anal, she claims) but it's not a big deal as there aren't a lot of them.
    My 11-year old's CD's are kept pretty well the same way as her mother's, but at least they're kept on a shelf, unlike all his other stuff which is all over the place.
    My vinyl and CD's far outnumber the rest of my family's, so they're always in alphabetical order although at times when she wants to be nasty, she'll switch a few around to see how long it take me to notice.
    I don't mind at all if my son or my wife play any of my CD's. They never seem to want to touch my vinyl which is fine by me.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ooooh, that's big trouble for a friend of mine! His collection is safely hidden in cardboard storage boxes in the basement.

His wife bought him a CD rack, doors, lock, etc. for Christmas two years ago! "It holds 500 CD's", she said, "Enough for your entire collection and some future purchases."

Yea, right! :sigh:

Well, I guess he'll still have to keep some hidden! :D

13. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

First and Last Date

True story:

A mutual friend sets us up on a blind date. I get to her apartment, and it's interesting: instead of filling her house with Pottery Barn and Martha Stewart, she's go all this thrift shop stuff, right down to the vintage mismatched dishes. Everything's been selected with a good eye. Pretty cool.

While she tidies up in the kitchen, I investigate a small shelf of maybe 20 CDs, and check the titles -- isn't that the first thing you guys look at?

"What are you looking at?" she asks from the kitchen.

"Oh, your CDs."

"Those aren't mine, those are my ex's. That was one of the things we fought about."

"Music?"

"No, about how much money he wasted on CDs."

14. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I absorbed all my wife's LPs into my collection when we were married. They have been stored for 20 years, until I recently started listening again.
    I buy a few CDs for my wife and she only listens to them in her car.
    My son and I have the largest collection and are music lovers.
    If I am missing a CD, I check his room. He now likes 70's rock so I bought him a few MFSL of his favorites like Bob Dylan.

Music - Wife and me all mine
    Music - Son and me all separate

When I listen with my wife we listen to Cowboy Junkies, Clair Marlo Dixie Chicks or Nora Jones since she does not like Classic Rock.

We usually watch DVDs while we list stuff on ebay together. These are commingled except a bunch that I do not like to watch are in her separate area.

15. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

The music is basically mine, she has yet to play any vinyl and I am not so sure she would know how to set it all up. When she is home I will ask her if there is something she would like to listen to and I will fill up the 5 disc cd/sacd player with music. I know I can always put on some Beatles when I am there for more choices. FWIW she is not into music near as much as I am but she does let me play it.

16. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Isn't it funny (or sad, depending on how you look at it) how some people who are of 'the right age' to have had to listen to records in their youth now appear to have forgotten everything about how to operate a turntable? (ratskrad, your post just brought this to mind -- of course it's not a comment on you or your wife).

17. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Re: First and Last Date

What a great story Ron. I've been married for over twenty years, but this certainly would be a "turn-off" for me too! Good call!

My wife and I merge our collections. Gotta keep everything in alphabetical order, you know. We burn CDRs for the car. Smooth sailing.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Sounds exactly like my place....including the xmas cd's!

19. Rafter242

Rafter242 Active Member

Mine are the LPs. Hers are cds. Any of "my" cds she would not care to listen to, so the boundaries are pretty clear.

Mark P.

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Cliff's avatar does nothing for me...she looks like a girl who's in desperate need of a few cheeseburgers. The only time I want to see ribs on a woman is at Dr. Hoggily Woggily's Bar-B-Que in Van Nuys. :laugh:

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

When we moved 11 years ago the movers looked at my collection and groaned. Then they looked at Lisa's and said 'I guess this is the starter set'.

22. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

Right on, a one of a kind place, with great food! I think we share a taste for barbecue and what looks nice on a woman.

23. RDK

RDK Active Member

Ah man, you had to mention Hoggily Woggilys - now I want some brisket! Mmmmm....

24. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

Women should NEVER be allowed to handle a man's music in any way, shape or form. If they get within 10 feet of a CD or record; It's scratced, scuffed, and used as a coaster. Scatching a CD can sometimes piss you off worse than an affair! You can almost understand someone being attracted to someone of the opposite sex in a weak moment, but why can't you play a CD without ruining the *&^^%%$ thing?

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

They're only after your Al Green collection. That's all women want. Sheesh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.