Keeping The Shrinkwrap On an Opened LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by axeugene, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

I like to keep them on (same for digipack CDs), especially if they have promotional stickers on them.

2. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

I'd' almost always kept the shrink wrap on my new LPs, especially to keep the sticker on. Sliding them in and out of my other LPs would sometimes snag and rip the shrinkwrap. Maybe I should invest in outer sleeves. On the collectability issue for example, I'd read that the original pressing of Guns N' Roses Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 had different stickers on the initial run than on later pressings, making the earliest pressings collectible in a way. IIRC the albums with GN'R's own parental warning sticker were the more rare, and the standard "Parental Advisory" sticker was the later version (it might be the other way around).

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I've bought records at thrift stores that have shrink wrap on the covers only to carefully remove the shrink wrap and slip it on other LP covers which are in near mint conditon. IMHO, having covers still in shrink wrap makes the LP more desireable and collectable. It also keeps the jackets in mint shape so long as there is no mold or trapped moisture present underneath the shrink wrap, which I rarely find. (I also collect those plastic Columbia inner sleeves and put them on my vintage Columbia 360 sound LP's.)

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I always heard the same thing. But, in 2009, I haven't ever seen it happen.

If I find used vinyl with the shrink wrap now, I leave it on. It's fun to recall how outraged people were about LPs retailing for $6.99 in 1976.

5. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I'm lovin' my WARM, MINT, CHEAP records these days... and Cds too...

Arguably, some herein might say you'd been seduced by the sirens of the digital dark ages... :eek: :shh: :winkgrin:

cheers,

6. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I love the nostalgia with the shrink "stickers". As has been stated, as long as it's stored properly, and the shrink is not TOO tight, I prefer them ON.

7. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

US sticker, UK for US sticker, US for UK sticker...2n'd UK sticker..., recalled 3rd U

I love them stickers too, album titles, key songs, artist's blurbs, etcc... and as someone mentioned upstream, sometimes added value. I confess to once creating a monster, a friend whom I got into Beatle collecting, and Lennon in particular. He went out and collected all the still selaed vinyl reissue cover sticker variations he could find... Union Jacxks etc... Really out of control, but nothing better to do I suppose... I wonder what he did with all those stickers once he found himself a woman??? :help:

cheers,

8. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

I've had a couple of disks warp due to shrinking shrink wrap. And I've saved dozens more that looked to be on their way. But most are no problem.

9. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

Not to derail the topic too much but I know that albums from the U.K. are usually not sealed by the factory. However I was recently able to finally get a numbered copy of Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness. It's still in shrinkwrap (opened) with the price sticker on it. Would it have been sealed by someone other than the factory then?

10. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Shrinkwrap comes off. Record goes in mylar sleeve. Bada bing bada boom.

11. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Hot cha cha cha.

12. MBERGHAU

MBERGHAU New Member

I think it's ugly and a distraction from the cover. I've purchased many a collectible record with the shrink still on (I probably paid a premium for that) but then the first thing I do is rip it off and put the LP in a protective plastic sleeve which is much more appropriate to it's long term protection and display. I want to hold and feel the LP in its virgin state, smell the cover and all that. I can't deal with shrink wrap.

13. I usually don't with albums - owing to warpage concerns and a large supply of good plastic sleeves - and will just cut out the promo stickers and put them inside the cover. I almost always keep the shrink on non-jewel case CDs though, good CD covers being harder to source locally (and I always forget to order them online). Even with slipcases - I'll delicately cut around the opening with an Xacto knife to allow the CD case to slide out. Same deal with slipcased DVD sets.

14. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Me, too! :laugh:

15. Kustom 250

Kustom 250 Active Member

I always take it off. As far as I've seen it doesn't add any value except in a very few cases like WYWH. I might mean the album has a better chance at being in great condition that adds value, but not the shrinkwrap itself. Sealed albums are a whole different thing. In that case it MIGHT add value.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:confused: If it already has the shrinkwrap on, why in the world would you put in a plastic outersleeve as well?

17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Got a few TAKRL boot LPs where the shrinkwrap is still on; handy as many of their sleeves were a photocopied sheet inserted in the plain cardboard cover. This means the sheet can at least go in the front without damage (and I know what the hell I'm picking up to play!).

18. Pericles

Pericles Forum Resident

I always keep them on so long as they have stickers. For me it's part of the album package, but there's also a historical factor that I appreciate.

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Maybe you'll have a relapse!:D

20. SecondHandNews

SecondHandNews Forum Resident

I'm with you.:righton:

21. He may be 'cured' but that hasn't seemed to stop him from finding excellent condition fairly uncommon LPs priced at 3 for a buck ... :winkgrin:

22. Mellenhead

Mellenhead Active Member

An extra layer of protection. I use 5 mil poly outersleeves and the shrink is NOT that thick.

23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Ya know, I've heard you can use Saran Wrap... oh wait, that's another discussion entirely. :D

I try to keep the shrinkwrap on whenever possible, but I also now use the outer sleeves as well even if the jacket still has the shrinkwrap. Why? Because I've torn the shrinkwrap too many times sliding my records and in and out of their spots in my collection.

I too used to keep the shrinkwrap on every record until I was told it could warp the records. Sheesh. I guess I'm not too worried about whether that will raise the price of my records slightly over time, but it does just make 'em look more cared for, I suppose.

24. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

Nearly all of my Lp's have a slip cover on them. I keep the original shrink on them too if they aren't ripped up or pulling on the cover. I too like seeing the different stickers that were on it when it was purchased. As well as any price stickers.

It's part of the album's history for me.

25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

I did try to keep shrink on but they gradually get small tears in them and look terrible. I opened my original Nirvana Unplugged last evening that I purchased back in 95 and as soon as i did the plastic seam along the top just seperated. I have placed an order with Elusive for some resealable mylar sleeves for my new lp's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.