KEF LS50 and integrated tube amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kevin_jazz, Jul 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen

@TeflonScoundrel thanks for that write up

I moved my LS50's off the Brio-R this weekend over to the 2.1 TV setup. Denon AVR, very cheap Andrew Jones Pioneer sub.

There are too many variables to make a fair comparison (two totally different rooms), but I'm loving what the sub (and maybe more power?) is adding to the LS50's. I haven't heard them sound this full yet. I have literally squatted down multiple times to touch the sub cone to feel if it was moving. The Denon's auto calibrate did an impressive job integrating the sub.

vinylvin likes this.
  2. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Bumping this thread, as I'm extremely interested in snagging a pair of LS50's. A number of people have already chimed in on how nice they pair with the Rogue Cronus Magnum, but I'm curious if anyone has tried them with the regular Rogue Cronus, the Mangum's little brother, which pushes 55wpc. In hindsight, I regret not coughing up the extra dough for the Magnum, but alas, the regular version worked well for my previous set up.

I'd be using these in a not-too-big apartment, at volumes between conversation and party level, but likely not concert level, playing everything from classic rock to jazz to techno to weird avant garde bleeps and bloops type stuff.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. kevin_jazz

kevin_jazz New Member Thread Starter

I ended up purchasing the Primaluna Prologues. Those are rated less than the Cronus Magnun. I really enjoy the combination---when I have good music on I'm just drawn to sit down and listen more intently. That's what this gear is for. At the levels and size of apartment you have, I have to expect you'll have a good experience.

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

FWIW I heard LS50's on the end of my previous s.s. amp (Linn Majik - 30 watts); sounded fine.

5. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I ended up selling my Primaluna Prologue and keeping the Odyssey Khartagos to use with my LS50s. Lately though, just to experiment a bit, I swapped out my 50 watt Audio Research VSi60 from my main system into my LS50S setup and have found it to be an amazing match. Despite the amp being significantly more expensive than the LS50s, they really upped their performance and I may keep them together for a while. It's really fun to listen to.

6. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

Appreciate it, Kevin—thanks for sharing.

7. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Have a pair and use with scott 222c, no problem in 14 foot square room. Only concern is make sure it has as good of control on the bass as possible. Use these speakers too close to the rear wall and combine that with a over ripe low end and you will be reaching for the port plugs. No problems with my dynaco stereo 35 either.

8. sfjain

sfjain New Member

I have the LS50's paired with Audio Research VSi55 I got for 1830 on audiogon. They are an amazing match. I don't think I could do much better. I keep on thinking of ways to change/upgrading the integrated but just in the end don't want to loose the synergy of this setup, its phenomenal, even despite being set up in a fairly large room with 9 foot ceilings.

If I had a balanced source I would like to compare it to a Ayre Ax-7e someday...

Entry level Transparent cabling and a Bluesound Vault as a source using the on board DAC. Soon to be switch to a Auralic Aries Mini.

Sam

Erik Tracy and TeflonScoundrel like this.
  9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

My McIntosh MA6450 is a great match for my LS50's. The meters hit 100wpc when listening at higher levels on recordings with a lot of bass, but I do realize that the meters aren't really accurate.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Check out Headfi. There are two pairs for sale used. A black pair and a white pair. I think they want $1050, but they're been for sale for a long time and you might be able to haggle.

11. james

james Summon The Queen

I'm selling mine in Annapolis, if anyone is interested. Not because I don't like them...this month unexpectedly turned into the most expensive of my life and letting a few things go will ease the pain. hope to pick up another set some day.

12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I would definitely haggle, because I bought mine for $1125 new from a dealer with full warranty.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm so curious about hearing these! Never heard them. I love KEF (old KEF) so I'm really wanting to hear what they can do today.

14. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

They're quite amazing really, what they can squeeze out of such a small package. Very 3D/wide soundstage, and bass that seems to defy physics. Some say that the tweeter sounds metallic, but definitely not in my system. They do need a small space though. My room is 10'x14', and a Expidit 5x5 on one side.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

I thought the tweeter was a bit metallic, bright at first. Putting them on proper stands helped immensely. Hooking up the very smooth/natural Yamaha A-S2000 made them even better and made the bass impact fantastic.

16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

adding two pennies after a sweet extensive demo with a basic 25wpc tube integrated amp-

tubes are the only way to fly with the LS50s. plenty of power and bass authority. the combo is incredible. solid state is just plain wrong for these speakers IMHO.

action pact likes this.
  17. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

This thread is convenient so I'll use this space if I'm not stepping on anyone's toes. I'd really like to get a set of "premade" speakers, for lack of a better term, with solid/proven reputations to compare against my DIY ScanSpeaks. I think the LS50 is a good choice, my room is 9.5 x 12.5, treated, but I am running solid state amplification (Nuprime ST10) with a NOS I2S DAC (Aqua La Voce S2). It sounds fantastic on my DIY's but the in-room measured response is very iffy from 50-300 Hz. I've seen a few pairs come up on Agon for $1050 or so, I suppose that's a decent deal for a set of these? I have a good set of stands to put them on. Listening is nearfield and, currently my DIYs are toed in to cross over in front of the listener. Thinking these are a solid enough buy that if I do end up preferring the DIYs, I can resell for little loss. On the flip side, I could move the DIYs upstairs into the theater if I end up preferring the KEFs downstairs.

Dumb idea?

18. james

james Summon The Queen

I can't disagree with you. My 22 watt LM 518ia has made the LS50's sound like next level. I think the class A desgination is accurate, at a smaller scale. They present music as a smaller version of itself, but I think that should be assumed given their diminutive size.

I listened to Angel Olsen's "Enemy" this morning and I think to make that track sound night and day better, you'd have to buy a house with a better room.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm using a 28 wpc Fisher 400 with my LS50's... :edthumbs:

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Does anyone have the KEF LS50 with an Arcam amp combo? If so please share your experience. I'm thinking about buying the LS50 at some point and wonder how they would pair with my Arcam FMJ A29 amp (smooth silky and refined sound but would like to get some punch with a more forward sound pair of speakers).

Thanks

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I recently bought an Arcam Solo Music used but hardly touched on EBay, the unit is 50 wpc. It will be used when I go to distant locations for work in future. I hooked it up to the LS50s and was very impressed with how the combo sounded. I hadn't expected at 50 wpc that the Arcam unit would be able to drive the KEFs well but it was just fine. The experience made me keen to give Arcam gear strong consideration down the line should I decide to move into a new amp.

I normally use the LS50s with a 40 year old Luxman L-85v integrated amp (85 wpc) and am very satisfied with that combos sonics. I recently added a 12" Polk sub and really enjoy the added dimension it brings to the sound. I also have a "B" speaker set up in the adjoins den with Music Hall Marimbas and a 12" M&K 125v sub.

Ivand likes this.
  22. action pact

I just posted this in another thread, but I thought it would be relevant here too.

I just moved my newly-acquired, restored '59 Fisher X-100 upstairs and hooked it up to my LS50's, in place of my resto-modded '66 Fisher 400.

I'm listening to a CD by jazz singer Nancy Wilson, and I am delighted by how terrific it sounds. I think the X-100 might be a bit more energetic/dynamic than the 400, imaging is in reach-out-and-touch-it 3D, and despite having just 14 wpc, it is driving the LS50's beautifully. I am very impressed.

This is a really special amp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and avanti1960 like this.
  23. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

I would forget about low powered valve amps. SE amps definitely out. I have owned a Primaluna, which I used with NS2000's, it was a decent amp, reliable, but nothing special as it really never got a grip with the Yams. No chance with 85 db/W. Someone has already mention Audio Research, good call. AR seem to be out of favour at the moment, which is strange because they make some excellent sounding amps. If your willing to purchase used then I think it could be an excellent match with enough grunt to wake up the KEF's. Failing that an amp that is rarely mentioned here is the Jungson 88 integrated. Class A power, smooth and BIG sound with plenty of grunt, well worth seeking out. One of the few amps that made my NS2000's really come alive its a special amp.

james and Shiver like this.
  24. action pact

See the previous post for an opposing view.

25. Mark broadhead

Mark broadhead Forum Resident

Hi, I'm not suggesting that low powered amps cannot sound ok with low efficiency speakers. They can and do. However, a low powered valve amp will be working very hard to drive such a speaker, with increased distortion and unreliability, baking the valve sockets, shortening the valve life and heat soaking all the electronic components. Neither would I use 500W monoblocks with horn speakers. Horses for courses no ?

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.