Kef LS50 anyone hear these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STBob, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

I'm looking for a pair of Bookshelf speakers for my den. I have Kef 103.2s as a reference. I was wondering how these new LS50s stack up against the ole warhorse 103s.

They seemed to get pretty good reviews.

2. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Yes I have heard them and I think they are pretty awesome. Lots of detail, great imaging, pretty neutral, all around great performer. If I had a small room I would own a pair, I think they are hard to beat, you get a lot of performance for the money. don't know how they stack up to 103's I never heard them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    STBob likes this.
  3. STBob

Thanks thats good to hear. The 103.2 are pretty decent but I have not listened to any of the newer Kefs. The LS50s are around 1500.00 per pair. They lack the real wood of the 103s but that savings in cabinet might go into better drivers so hoping they might be better. I probably could find another pair of 103s for under 500.00 so for 3x more (yes I realize they are new vs used) they might offer better performance.

norman_frappe likes this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

I would be shocked if th Kef 103 cabinets cost more than the LS50 cabinets to produce. While not veneered, they are substantial and have a high quality fit and finish

5. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I debated buying a pair of these before I ended up buying a demo pair of KEF XQ20. My biggest problem was that I would have had to purchase the LS50s sound unheard, since the only way for me to get them was mail order. The XQ20s were being sold by someone on this board, and I got a chance to demo them. I like them a lot (one year later), but I'm still curious what the difference would have been. Anyone know?

6. STBob

I found a dealer around 90 miles from me. They have the LS50s, R300, R500 and R700s to demo.

The dealer really liked the LS50s but said they sort of need a sub. The R series have more punch and go louder.

Not sure I want to deal with a subwoofer. So maybe Rs or something a little larger than the Ls50s. Won't be able to get out there for awhile to demo.

7. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

If I have one complaint about my XQ20s, it is that they also need a sub to truly complete the sound picture. They sound fabulous with classical and jazz, but when I truly want to hear the Stones' "Sticky Fingers" SHM-SACD, for instance, I go upstairs where I have an antique pair of Advent One speakers that sound terrific with rock music.

8. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

if you don't want a sub and want the bookshelf speakers, I would recommend the R300. I demo'd both the LS50s, and the R300 right after them. I was shocked how much more bass the R300s had. They're great little speakers. I use them every day and I never feel for a lack of bass (though it should be noted that I do listen near-field.)

jupiterboy and avanti1960 like this.
  9. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

That shouldn't be too surprising given the R300 is a 3-way and the LS50 is a 2-way.

I've had a pair now for nearly two years and plan on having them for a long time to come. I did pair them with a pair of Dayton Audio SUB800s for $150 and they fill in down to mid-30s very, VERY nicely in my small, treated room. Absolutely tickled with any genre I throw on.

Bill

PROG U.K. likes this.
  10. econalan

econalan Forum Resident

Will be interested to hear your thoughts after the demo. I demoed the Ls50s on the second day at The Show in Newport Beach earlier this year. Played some Richie Kotzen and definitely felt like they needed a sub.

11. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

The LS50's are VERY good speakers. However, different speaker designs definitely DO sound different, so I'd definitely shop around. In that price range, I'd also check out PSB's bookshelf models (from the bottom to the top), and ABSOLUTELY audition the Nola Boxer bookshelf speakers. About a year ago I listened to the Harbeth line, the LS50's, and the Nola models, and out of the lot preferred the Nola Boxers by some margin.

dartira, bhazen and STBob like this.
  12. STBob

Yes really I should have said what are the best bookshelf to maybe small tower for 1500.00

My Kef 103.2 are pretty small (like 10x10x20 tall) And while they are clear and accurate. There is something in my pair of Klipsh KG4s (upgraded xovers and tweets) that is better. Mostly its the bass and soundstage is more 3D. The KG4s have a 12" passive in the back and twin 8 inch drivers up front with horn tweeter. But they are larger speakers, so maybe have to go bigger to get that room filling sound.

13. vpiindustries

vpiindustries Forum Resident

Love the LS50s! We set up a 3 channel system with them and WOW! It is a musical wall of sound. (I'll take pictures and post them)

14. STBob

So using them for HT w/o a sub? Or for music only.

15. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Have KEF LS50s with a REL T-5 sub and they are a perfect match in an 11.5 x 12 foot room.
    They also sound terrific without a sub.
    Give them an audition - nothing to lose except time and possibly money. :)

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

One of my Quad 988 electrostatics blew up last year and the other one turned out to be defective too. It was too costly to have them fixed and I traded them in for a pair of brand new LS50 monitors. They sounded great, and after a break-in period of about 100 hours they sound even better, surprisingly like electrostatics in good working condition - probably due to the fact that they're point-source speakers - but with a better sound stage. I'm very happy with them.

17. STBob

I am going to see if they will let me bring my Kef 103.2s in so I can do an A/B comparison. Curious to see if they trounce them or maybe I'll walk away thinking damn those old 103s can still hang. I mean the Ls50s are 1500 now. What did the 103s retail for when new. I think $1,000 in 1980 which is around $3,000 in today money. So $1,500 is actually cheap and a good price if they beat out the 103.2s.

Here is a post from a 103.2 owner:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Purchased KEF 103.2's w/ Rosewood cabinets as demos in 1985. Originally ran through NAD 7140 Receiver as power and radio signal. Also, ran Garrard experimental turntable purchased in Englan in 1970 through it until upgrade 1998. Since then, sources include Linn LP12, NAD 7140 as tuner (still one of the best sources for FM signal), Linn Karik/Numerik as transport/DAC, and Naim 102 pre-amp, 180 amp, Hi Cap, separate power supply for 102 control, all run through proprietary balanced power supply and dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Auditioned a system upwards of $150K after I upgraded, and it couldn't beat what I was already hearing. Only other more recent upgrade was DIN-RCA interconnects that I had Orchard Electronics in Exeter, England, build for me about 5 years ago...huge improvement at a fraction of the cost of original Chords. The 103.2's are still up to the task.
    ====================================================================

norman_frappe likes this.
  18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Better yet try to get the LS50s home to listen and compare in your room with your equipment.

Bill

rbp likes this.
  19. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

I installed a pair for a client who had been using Paradigm Studio 10s. They kill. Great sound, and they are beautiful also.

PROG U.K. likes this.
  20. STBob

I have a feeling what is going to happen. They will have other speakers there too. It might be one of those, .. for just a little more money you can have this! And it will 2k, 3k, 4k ...........yikes! I'm scared

21. STBob

Bill, do they let you do that? I know some people buy them off Amazon because of the return policy. Me I like to get it right the first time, I hate taking things back.

I did read that R series is more amp friendly, meaning they sound good with just about any amplifier whereas the LS50s can be a little more finicky. I plan on using my Sansui 717, I know I can buy newer but its retro and I'm sticking with it.

22. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Sounds interesting ... was this a 3 channel setup specifically for music?

Beattles likes this.
  23. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I really love my LS50s. I have them in an office system with a Primaluna Prologue Premium Integrated amp and a Rega RP3. They sound great. Clear and smooth, with a very sweet midrange.

I've heard the larger towers of the XQ series and although they were nice, I think the tweeter on the LS50 is significantly better than the one used in the XQ series. I've had several Kef speakers over the past 15 years including the Q65, IQ70, R300, R700 and the LS50s. I'm planning on keeping the LS50s for good.

I would caution against using them in a larger room, however, as they don't have the dynamic capacity to fill a large space with bass, but in my 12x13 office, they sound great and have good dynamics and bass extension. I don't miss not having a sub at all.

24. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Never heard the 103s but I have had a pair of LS50s for about a year, before I had the XQ20s. I can tell you the LS50s do not have very deep bass so you will probably want a subwoofer. I don't use one because I loathe subwoofers. They image quite well, have extended and airy highs, I would say a level or two sweeter than the XQ20. The XQ20s do go lower without a doubt and in many respects sound reasonably similar. The LS50s seem to have better cabinets, less cabinet coloration and are overall just more "together" sounding. Am using with a vintage Scott 222C and power is not an issue in a moderately small room. One of the few speaker purchases I didn't return so I have to say they are worth the money. The only issue could be bass extension in some setups. From there on up they are pretty seamless. They have taken permanent residence along side my JBL L96s for times when the music calls for a bit more finesse. I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon.

25. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Very pleased with my LS50's.

[​IMG]

mds, Robin L, Brother_Rael and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.