Kef LS50 anyone hear these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STBob, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

If you have room for towers maybe check out PSB and GoldenEar?

BigE and gingerly like this.
  2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Those Nolas look nice... too bad they have such a large, fugly logo spoiling their appearance.

On the subject of appearances, I was initially turned off by the unconventional look of the LS50's, but have since gotten used to it. Time will tell if their appearance will become "classic" or "dated," but a friend of mine made an interesting comment. He said that even when they're just sitting there, they look like they're doing something.

gingerly likes this.
  3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Keep in mind that the price of good stands will push up the total price of all stand-mount speakers, closer to $3k in the case of the Evolution!

In the small, stand-mount category: B&W CM5; KEF R300; Harbeth P3ESR

Floor-standing: PSB Imagine T; KEF Q900; Vandersteen 2Ce Signature II

BigE and PROG U.K. like this.
  4. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

The Harbeth P3s sound really nice, but just didn't do it in the bass department for me (which is why I went for the C7s)...they might work in your space though. You can audition those at David Michael Audio in Royal Oak - they also let me take a demo pair (and stands) home for a week, which was awesome.

norman_frappe likes this.
  5. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

Taking the grills off makes it magically disappear! :)

action pact likes this.
  6. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

other than being more expensive to ship and lug around do towers really take up that much room? They seem to have the same footprint as my little kefs w stands.

Ive never owned towers maybe there are issues with them i have not realized.

7. STBob

Oh that was you, poor kids have to play in a hole now.

8. norman_frappe

Even if you can't afford these STBob go take a listen to these if you can or better yet demo at home. This will demonstrate what really nice speakers are capable of sounding like. They cost like $3800k new though so not cheap I am afraid. Then again it might ruin lesser quality speakers for you so on second thought do so at your own peril.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  9. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

The P3s retail around $2k, which is why I mentioned them. I got a pretty good discount off ^ that retail price from my dealer on the C7s.

10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

STBob. Corner Records/Wayback Audio has a KEF LS50 demo. At least they did. I did't listen to them but I will next time I'm up there. Besides, I would be worth a trip to check out the record store anyway. It's pretty massive and the audio guys are really cool. I buy stuff from them hand they ship it to me in Texas.

11. STBob

As long as that extra space of a tower is actually being used to get more bass I would tend to like them more. The built in stand would be a secondary perk.

What up with all the puny drivers? I'm seeing lots of new speaker using twin drivers that are small. I have some def techs with dual 4" and some with dual 5" and both while detailed are miles and miles from a full sound. I,m thinking at least dual 6" or 3 ways

12. action pact

Hey, wiseguy, that's not what I typed! :cussing:

:biglaugh:

13. STBob

Is that in kalamazoo michigan? Sounds great if they sell vinyl too. We just picked up 70 new ones from flat black and circular in East lansing but they do not sell audio.

14. norman_frappe

yeah people don't want huge 12" woofers taking up lots of floor space these days. most towers today utilize multiple smaller drivers.

check out the Triton 7 it has dual 8" bass woofers on the side so the footprint is still small.

http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series?gktab=2

15. STBob

Oh lighten up ;)

16. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Consumer preference for thin profile speakers. Some manufacturers have gotten around this by putting large woofers in the sides of the speakers.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

FB&C is still there? I used to get stuff from them when I was at MSU. A looonnnggg time ago. Corner Record Store is in Grandville, MI, which is outside of Grand Rapids. The owner is a good friend of my brother's and the store is huge. He wound up buying a record store in Holland last time I was up there. It used to me in Kalamazoo, I think. BTW, it's Corner Record Shop.

18. action pact

Now, you know how uptight audiophiles are!

19. STBob

Hey thanks. I seem to be morphing from small to larger speakers. I did same thing with my last car. Started with high gas mileage awd in mind which somehow morphed into a v8 pig landrover which gets 17mpg with a backwind. But i like having some torque and don,t miss my v6 one bit.

So maybe those tritans will have the oomph i remember from collage years. Most the speakers ive had since are smallish and seems i always have to add. "For their size" when talking about the sound.
    So they are not $3500 more like 2k?

20. norman_frappe

no problem, you don't want buyers remorse, they do have pretty deep bass that's for sure.

The Harbeth P3s are $2k msrp. The C7 are $3800 msrp.

21. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

I would add Dynaudio X14's to your list.

22. STBob

Go Spartans! I went there undergrad. Yes Flat black still there with same owner. Also have a new store a block from it called The record lounge, they sell records and retro audio gear. No gear under 30 years old. Its pretty cool. Flat black still running the same speakers too. In the front a set of David 8s in the back a set of ADS bookshelves. They just expanded so even more vinyl! And yes Peanut Barrel, Rick and EL Az Teco Still there.

If I buy at corner Record store I expect me MSU student discount :)

octaneTom likes this.
  23. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Nice, thanks for this heads up - I'll have to check this out next time in the area. Not to hijack this thread but Vertigo out in Grand Rapids is also a great shop — it's run by the old Vinyl Solution owner.

24. STBob

How many cans did it take you? I'm getting one of those orange pull overs so i blend.

25. norman_frappe

I see what you did there, hilarious i nearly pissed myself!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.