Kef LS50 anyone hear these?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by STBob, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mamcke

mamcke New Member

Im am a novice, never having owned a stereo system. I was given a technics SL1210 MK5 turn table (in good condition) and a bunch of vinyl -all rock from the 60's and 70's. I have a small office and want to set up a system. After reviewing all your comments in the forum, I am way out of my depth. So, hoping you can help. I am trying to decide between KEF R300's and KEF LS50 for speakers or if you have any other thoughts, would like to stay below $1500. The price is about the same where I found them. I was also looking at receivers on Ebay and Amazon. There are a lot of Sony's, Pioneers, Technics, Pyle's, Mcintosh, Harmon Kardon, Carver, Kenwoods, and Yamahas. There is also a Sansui TU9000, Marantz SR4023, and Bang and Olusfen which were more expensive. It was overwhelming. I have no idea how to choose one. My daughter, 16, and I started this process together. The more research we do, the more confused we get. We tried to find a retailer in our area, but the closest one to us said they do primarily Family Home Systems starting at a really scary, high price. I was told to also look for a preamp. Do we need a sub? We would welcome your recommendations. Thanks

2. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

What you smoking Bill? :)

3. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

Yes I understand it was sexist, and it did apply to the particular women and not ALL women. But you could read between the lines I think.

action pact likes this.
  4. STBob

STBob Active Member Thread Starter

My vote for a new receiver is the Outlaw audio retro 2150. I have one and you will be hard pressed to find a better one for stereo at the price.
    https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Outlaw-Audio-RR-2150-OUTLAW/dp/B001ENW9RE

Get a decent cartridge for that TT. No idea on the speakers but for small office those KEF ls50s sound like a decent choice. That is if you don't plan on taking the time to listen to many first hand.

5. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Just a nice brownie at lunch;)

rbp likes this.
  6. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

KEF Direct Store is having a Black Friday Special on the LS50 Mini Monitor Pair for $1,299.99 with free shipping and no tax for my state. Amazon.com, an authorized retailer, is having the same $200 off deal but plus tax. I wonder if this is a best price KEF has authorized.

octaneTom likes this.
  7. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I must say these are a very impressive piece in my room and system.

I feel no reason to implement a subwoofer at all.

[​IMG]

Coming from these:

[​IMG]

The LS50's are a much better match for my little room.

8. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Very nice and I like the McIntosh MA6450 driving the LS50's.

9. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

The MA6450 seems to be a great match. I'm amazed at the sound coming from these little speakers, even with only two hours on them.

wgb113 likes this.
  10. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

:righton:

11. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

They like juice and your amp has plenty - indeed a great match.

12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Haven't read all this thread, but yes have heard the LS50s demoed. Impressive speakers and certainly punch above their weight with full sound and great imaging, but I'd just say to anyone try and hear them before commiting to buy as they do have a certain voice, a signature.

gingerly likes this.
  13. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I think a lot of people have them in rooms that are too large. Dealers are guilty of the same thing. My room is 10 x 14 x 9 with an Ikea 5 x 5 Expedit on one of the longer walls, which takes up a ton of room. My room seems to be a good size for these speakers.

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yes, while KEFs are much less directional than other brands that I've heard (i.e. sound better off-axis) they should be paired with a room that matches the speaker. LS50s sound superb in a small room setting; but in a high ceiling or opening-into-another-room setting I'd recommend the R300s which have a bit more bass throw.

15. UglyAudio

UglyAudio Forum Resident

I demoed the LS50s in a 12x10x8 room and they sounded fantastic. They just plainly disappeared.

That being said I agree with others here on the room size which is why I did not purchase them.

16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Were you in my room? That's it's exact dimensions!

17. duvallite

duvallite Well-Known Member

Haven't heard the LS50s yet, but listened to the Harbeth P3ESR recently and was not impressed due to the lack of low end. Moved them closer to the front wall and the bass improved, but the imaging and soundstage seemed to collapse. For a smaller room, how about the Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus? Everyone seems to like them and supposedly very musical and are only $700-750 a pair, which leaves money for a decent sub if needed. Very nice looking speakers. Also, I guess the LS50s are now available with a white cabinet and blue cone speaker, which would be my preference in finish over the piano black.

18. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I haven't a clue about the speakers you mention, but the LS50's have opened my eyes to the world of small stand mounts. Simply incredible to me in my room.

19. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

The LS-50 is a terrific speaker and in a small room has plenty of bass - they extend to the upper 40s and that's pretty impressive for a speaker using a five in driver. I'd love to see KEF make an 8 inch version in a bigger cabinet. I prefer the KEF over the bigger R-Series in the midrange. The trade-ff was a bit too big to get deeper bass.
    [​IMG]

BilboAlaska and bluemooze like this.
  20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

And that is all that matters. Enjoy them!

utahusker likes this.
  21. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I'm intrigued by the reviews on these speakers. I have a pair of Rega RS1 which I'm satisfied with, but I think I blew a tweeter driver on one. Today I pulled a pair of Boston Acoustics A60s that I had in storage (no surround rot) and have had since the mid-80s. They had been my "go-to" monitors and have been great performers for many years, but I found them a bit shrill sounding whilst listening to some HD material. I remember when I got the RS1s I found them to be a bit "dark" sounding at first, but then they opened up and I really enjoy the sound. I do have a small room 9' x 12', but with a peaked ceiling. Has anybody compared these against RS1s?

22. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Couldn't say, but sounds about right! There is something ultimately unnatural and unrelaxing about asking a speaker, any speaker, to fill too much space and scale as such.

23. james

james Summon The Queen

I wonder if the 5" driver is part of the magic. An 8" driver would be cool if it took the best qualities and solidified the bass, but I fear we're looking at the Reference line if that's thr goal.

I don't mean to be to hard on the RS1's, but I don't think they're in the same ballpark. I thought the Regas were a lot of fun for certain types of music, but to my ears, the LS50 was far more refined, detailed, had more realistic bass and timbre, and a much more impressive soundstage.

Edit: my comparison is the RS3 vs the LS50, for what it's worth

24. Jeffczar

Jeffczar Well-Known Member

Have them and they are everything that's written about them. The rear porting though does make them very sensitive to placement in smaller rooms. I just moved into a new place with a 12 by 13 room I'm using as a music room. I found that keeping them as far away from the walls as possible is very helpful, as well as the port plugs I have found that I have to use the large one which makes the port smaller. I used to use vintage tube amps exclusively but I recently bought a Marantz PM8005 and it is a great match.

utahusker and wgb113 like this.
  25. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Does anyone use these speakers for near field listening? If so how do you find them?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.