Keith Chegwin (Cheggers) has died.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by carrolls, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident Thread Starter

A mainstay of millions of kids growing up in the UK and Ireland in the 70s, The Multi Coloured Swap Shop and Cheggers Plays Pop were his main vehicles but was in almost everything in the 70's/80's.
    RIP Keith.

TV's Keith Chegwin dies aged 60

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Seemed like a nice fella. RIP. Janice Long's brother of course.

3. I know him from Gervais' Extras.

RIP

4. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Oh No! A true TV hero in the UK. Always bought a smile to everything he did, seemed like he genuinely enjoyed life.

[​IMG]

5. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

A staple of my childhood.

A couple of years ago, my girlfriend, who is Canadian, attended a corporate function in London that was hosted by Cheggers. He was, apparently, warmly received by those present, but my girlfriend, understandably, didn’t have a clue who he was. I received a drunken text enquiring, “Who is Keith Chedwin?” [sic]

How does one begin to explain the importance of an entertainer who (seemingly) worked backwards from Polanski’s Macbeth to children’s television to pantomime, and grew more loved by the British public as he did so?

Legend.

johnnyyen and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  6. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Poor Cheggers. I remember being astonished when I first saw that adaptation of Macbeth, and seeing him in it. A sad day for all the Swap Shoppers.

MikaelaArsenault and stepeanut like this.
  7. Purplefowler

Purplefowler Forum Resident

Really sad news. Cheggers was a legend! Loved cheggers plays pop when I was really little and always enjoyed whatever he did (apart from the naked thing!). 60 is too young for anyone but especially for someone as eternally young as he always was. RIP cheggers

8. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Very sad news, part of my youth.:cry:

9. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

He hosted a version of Sale of the Century (1998-1999) succeeding Nicholas Parsons (1971-1983) and Peter Marshall (1989-1991; not the Hollywood Squares host).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.