Keith Jarrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

There are very few threads here with this man's name in the subject line.

Jarrett isn't someone I listen to often, but I always enjoy the listening when I do. (I meant in terms of his jazz recordings, but it's actually true of his classical ones as well.)

What recordings do you like by him? Any genre.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2016
    tug_of_war and ando here like this.
  2. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I only have one album:
    [​IMG]
    The Köln Concert, 1975.
    I bought it because I had read it is a great
    album.
    It is.

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

My intro to him was the 3-LP Concerts box of the early 80's, which is still a favorite and has recently been reissued in full on CD (after several years where only a condensed one-LP/CD version was in print).

Aside from that I particularly enjoy the American Quartet records on Impulse.

4. RadioWonder

RadioWonder New Member

The Köln Concert, 1975... Great album... I like "Part I" – 26:01 only... The rest of the album is not my Cup Of Tea... :)

5. I have and enjoy all his Solo Concerts on LP.
    My personal fave is Hymns/Spheres, which is one of the most awe-inspiring musical experiences one can have.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have nearly all his work. I'm a fan.

7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I have a few of his albums, but I'd rate Koln Concert as the best.

It's a great album to relax to, or even to drift off to sleep to. And I DO mean that as a compliment....

8. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

i have more than 70 Jarrett albums but i'm still relatively new to his work (i.e. i've bought them all within the past few years). i know there's a lot more to discover in what i have but very few have left me unmoved.
    a surprisingly varied output too, the solo concerts are just one aspect of his discography. i'd have to think twice before recommending Restoration Ruin however.

9. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Certainly, with Shorter, Rollins, Hancock, Tyner, among the elite living artists of jazz. I tend to prefer Jarrett the composer, so the trio stuff, with the exception of albums of originals like Changeless, isn't as interesting to me. But Jarrett created an amazing body of work in the seventies alone, especially with his so-called American quartet.

10. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

jeffsab, Audioresearch and jlykos like this.
  11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

this one's proving hard to find here (i buy Japanese editions whenever possible), so it's one of the few i'm missing.
    great choice.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Keith Jarrett, 2015.

13. barnaby

barnaby Forum Resident

Like a lot of people I mostly know of the Köln concert recording, which is absolutely great.

BZync likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have a huge number of recordings... solo, trio, American and European groups, with Charlie... on and on. A true living legend. And, IMHO, best pianist and improviser alive. Possible the best period. :fan

Impossible to pick any single recordings. But the trio "Live at the Blue Note" box from 95 sure is impressive.

15. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I am as well.

The Melody at Night is fantastic as are most of his solo piano albums and the At The Blue Note box.

Received the newest 4 cd set "A Multitude of Angels" for Christmas, but have not listened to it yet.

The man in a genius, IMHO.

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

His image can be a bit intimidating and "arty," but if you love exhilarating jazz this recently released European quartet live album from '79 is a absolute swinging joyous gas.

[​IMG]

17. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

[​IMG]

i remember buying this for Mrs. (HUGE fan) on the release date in the 90's. she played the hell out of it for the next few months.
    also took her to see the trio sometime around there, got a great seat on the left side (5th row or something) with full view of his fingers.
    not enough of jazz fan myself to appreciate his solo works but trio & such...i don't mind at all (even those damn groans :winkgrin:).

Artdob, jeffsab and Rob C like this.
  18. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

As well as the enormous body of his own work, both solo & as a band leader, don't forget the work he did as a sideman in Miles Davis' early 70's band. Albums like Get Up With It & Live Evil wouldn't be the same had Jarrett not participated.

Rob C and jwoverho like this.
  19. Lorin

Lorin Senior Member

The two duet albums with Charlie Haden are both beauties...Jasmine and Last Dance.

20. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Incredible artist especially considering his suffering with Constant Fatigue Syndrome. I prefer his work in a trio setting to solo, and like many I can do without the audible moaning.

vegafleet and Erik Tracy like this.
  21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Love the Köln Concert, and all attendant vocalisations. Saw him with Peacock and DeJohnette a few years ago and was absolutely magical.

Bhobb, BZync and CybrKhatru like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For fans of the Köln Concert I suggest checking out the Sun Bear Concerts - unfortunately a package too big for casual fans (10 LPs/6 CDs) but some beautiful music.

marcfeld69, BZync, Lee and 2 others like this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

The new release, A Multitude Of Angels, received a rave in Stereophile. Keeping up with his output can be an expensive proposition.

His versions of Shostakovich's Preludes & Fugues is one of my favorite classical discs, although some online critics thought he succeeded in making Shostakovich sound like Koln Concert. I'm in no position to make judgments about interpretation, but having heard two other recorded performances, I will acknowledge that Jarrett's is the least Russian sounding of the three.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I'm a big fan too, both jazz and classical and everything else. Köln Concert doesn't get as many spins as it once did. His playing has evolved so much that Köln sounds almost quaint these days. Many have mentioned the Bluenote box and for good reason. It is one of the greatest jazz trio sets I've ever heard. I balked at first. I found a promo single disc that unlike the regular single disc was taken from multiple nights and not one. It blew me away and the more I listened to it the more I realised that the box was in my future. I have never regretted buying the box. It is easily one of my favorite Jarrett releases of all time. Sun Bear is great too but as someone pointed out, it's large. I'm still more likely to play it before The Köln concert these days though.

25. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...as someone who only has Mr. Jarrett's recordings with Miles what would you suggest as a good entry to his solo work?
    As I understand he didn't like the electric instruments within Miles' band, so are his solo albums all acoustic?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.