Keith Jarrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The Kyoto Sun Bear disc has 8 minutes of the most transcendent music I have ever heard in my life.

I'm a BIG fan of the European quartet - Belonging and My Song are big faves.

And I do love his Standards trio... Standards Live and Tokyo 96 are probably my favorites.

2. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

I am a Fan, my wife is a huge fan so we have a lot his stuff (about 20 tiles) but still feels like it’s just scratching the service.

Below are my favorites with the At The Blue Note box being #1 and Changeless #2.

Solo Concerts: Bremen/Lausanne
    The Köln Concert
    The Survivors' Suite
    Changeless
    Keith Jarrett at the Blue Note
    Still Live
    La Scala
    My Foolish Heart

3. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Koln is essential but also check out his collaborations with Chick Corea.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

He recently released a two-disc comp of electric sketches/songs recorded in 1986, No End, that somewhat ironically sound like something electric-era Miles Davis would have used.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  5. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I second the recommendation for At the Deer Head Inn. It's a really great jazz album. I'm not a big fan of Jarrett, but this is a good album.

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That had guitar (and maybe bass) but no electric keyboards that I can remember. One of the handful of Jarrett albums I didn't much like.

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

That is a great album and I just got a vinyl copy of it the other day. I'm not as familiar with the rest of his work.

8. bluesfan

bluesfan Forum Resident

„Belonging“ is one of my favorites – very melodic, folky. Sometimes it is listed as an album by Jan Garbarek, because his name is the first on the cover. As all compositions are by Keith Jarrett, it is clear whose band this is. It actually is the first album of Jarrett's "European quartet".

[​IMG]

9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have lots of material by Jarrett. Picking one or two albums is pretty much impossible. The only time I tune out is when he vocalizes. A little is okay, but there was a period there where it was very problematic.

Anyway, one of my favorites is this:

[​IMG]

StarThrower62 and SteelyTom like this.
  10. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Have most of his solo works but my favorite is the Koln concert. Still remember walking into a party decades ago, hearing that LP and having my mind blown. One of our greatest living musicians, cant recommend his solo works more highly, especially his albums of improvisation. Not a jazz fan though, but plan to check out the two albums with Charlie Haden ASAP.

11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

I don't buy that Russianness of the interpreter argument. I'm not criticizing you, but when someone says they don't like so-and-so's interpretation of Shostakovich because it's 'not Russian enough' (which isn't what you said) I find it, first, very short-sighted (no one complains about performers of Bach not being German enough) and, second, downright insulting to the composer, implying his music isn't universal and can't sustain interpretations beyond national borders. Preferring Russian/Soviet interpreters is one thing; dismissing others who aren't is outright prejudice. Most of the time, I think people who use the dismissive Russianness argument are just repeating a phrase they heard.

I don't really hear the Koln Concert sound in his interpretation, but if it's true, it just means he is a real artist with his own sound. Dismissing it because it for that reason is classical snobbery.

His interpretations aren't my favourite. I usually only reach for them after I've been in a 24P&F listening spree and want to hear a different rendition of them. They're not the first ones I grab, but they're certainly good.

sherrill50 likes this.
  12. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I love Koln and this:

[​IMG]

13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

I remember Keyboard Magazine in the late 70s (maybe early 80s) ran a several-page transcription of the first side of the Sun Bear Concert. I'd never heard it and there was no way I could afford that massive set at that time of my life, yet I poured over that score, playing it, reading it on the bus, etc. By time I finally heard that issue of Keyboard was long gone but the piece certainly sounded familiar.

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have several of his recordings.i like his music and would count him as one of my five favorite jazz pianists.

maybe a funny story.i was chilling with a new girlfriend many years ago.i put on the koln concert cd and i was internally grooving.after about 10 minutes or so i looked over and remarked how amazing the music was.tiffany looked over at me
    and said something to the effect of "are you kidding me? what is the sh#t?

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

16. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Koln and Facing You. I can't wait to get more LPs of Mr. J.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sun Bear concerts, one of the most extravagant LP packages ever.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  18. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

The vinyl issue of Last Dance is sublime. Flat, quiet, perfect.

ECM gets these things right.

19. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Arbour Zena. Oh yeah. Been in love with this one since it came out in 1975. :love:

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

[​IMG]

marcfeld69 likes this.
  21. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Forum Resident

I consider The Melody at Night with You his absolute masterpiece. So tender, sweet, full of love for his wife. I have most of his solo outputs, but this one for me surpasses everything he has done until today

Humbuster likes this.
  22. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

This is difficult; difficult because I like the early Atlantic recordings, and some of the Impulse recordings. However, putting aside the ECM material, I adore Expectations, which was his one-shot album for Colombia.

Moving to ECM recordings, Arbor Zena is great, so too La Scala, and This Melody, which was his comeback after the ME.

misteranderson likes this.
  23. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

This is in a way both easy and difficult to answer. Easy because so much of Jarrett's output in its various modes is so consistently good, with some particular peaks, hard because there's so much of it and there are those different modes.

I'd say that one way in (or four ways) would be the following:

Belonging for the '70s "European" Quartet
    Survivor's Song for the '70s "American" Quartet
    Koln Concert for the earlier version of solo excursions stuff; maybe The Carnegie Hall Concert for his later approach to this kind of thing
    The single disk (single set) excerpt from the At the Blue Note box for the "Standards" trio

That, I think, should give you a sense of the heart of the matter for each of the main things Jarrett has been doing. After that there are just lots of good and great elaborations, and a few digressions into experiments of various kinds (and the classical recordings, too).

L.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    kevin5brown, Gardo, jay.dee and 2 others like this.
  24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

To my ears, Jarrett's is the more flowing and melodic of the three I've heard. By "more Russian sounding," I'm referring to the more forceful rhythms of the the other two interpretations. Those seemed to me to be more Russian sounding, more like the music from other Russian composers I'm familiar with.

I am wary that that for a classical ignoramus like myself, with no practical or theoretical knowledge of the subject, the first interpretation heard tends to imprint itself as correct while everything else afterward is a variation, so my impressions may have been different had Jarrett's not been the first I heard.

25. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Not only on his solo albums, but also on his duo and trio recordings Keith Jarrett plays acoustic instruments. As much as I know he played electric piano only when performing with Miles Davis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.