Keith Jarrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Yeah, he had a real aversion to playing electric, for whatever reason...He only did it out of respect for Miles and wanting to play with him.

2. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Maybe because it’s much more difficult to pluck the strings of an electric piano with his fingers? ;-)

No, seriously, I don’t know Mr. Jarrett’s reasons for preferring an acoustic grand piano, but to my ears this type of piano always sounds better.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    kevin5brown likes this.
  3. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

He did play electric piano one more time, on Ruta and Daitya. Being just a duo album with Jack DeJohnette, however, the music is much more sparse throughout and feels pretty different. It's OK, but it's definitely not the "lost Keith Jarrett electric piano album" that one might wish for.

karmaman likes this.
  4. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

"I am, and have been, carrying on an anti-electric-music crusade of which this is an exhibit for the prosecution. Electricity goes through all of us and is not to be relegated to wires." - from the liner notes to Bremen/Lausanne (1973). so that clears that up, ha ha.

5. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

There's his album No End where he plays electric guitar! I've not heard this properly but I wasn't that impressed with what little I have heard.

6. PabloJ

PabloJ Well-Known Member

His latest collection of Italian solo concerts "A Multitude of Angels" is excellent. Another favorite off the top of my head is "La Scala"

Humbuster likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How is the sound compared to his other outstanding live solo albums?

8. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

One of my all time faves. Grab any random album of his from the 70's and you'll be very happy.

CrankSomeFrank likes this.
  9. CrankSomeFrank

CrankSomeFrank The eons are closing.

Keith is a special person for sure. Offers a unique perspective on music but also how to follow the magic.

I will second the one recommendation so far (?!) for My Song. Great tunes, great recording, challenging stuff that is very melodic too. And for that band in general, with Charlie Haden and Paul Motian and Dewey Redman. Whew!

On listening to Treasure Island just last evening was rather startled by how much it sounded like a record that Donald Fagen and Walter Becker probably spent a fair amount of time with. There's even a guitar player on a couple tracks.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

One of my favorite tunes of his is "Gaucho".... ;)

11. PabloJ

PabloJ Well-Known Member

Excellent sound quality on these recordings.

12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Sun Bear Concerts.

marcfeld69, quicksrt and CybrKhatru like this.
  13. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

My ex-wife had this . I need to re-buy it.

...to be honest, I've not been able to listen past the first 10 minutes of Kyoto... because it is so out-of-this-world. I could likely hear that on an endless loop for weeks and be in perfect bliss.
    It. Is. Perfect.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sun Bear concerts will never be reissued in a super deluxe edition, it is in its original issue a super deluxe release. I mean unless they can cough up some video footage that looks amazing, then this is it.

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Just found The Sun Bear Concerts for £24.24 on Amazon UK. Not sure how good it is, but snapped it up. There are a few left...

marcfeld69 likes this.
  16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It's very very good! But I'd like the vinyl set which is one of the most deluxe things ever made for a music release.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

I would have loved that, but at this price couldn’t resist the CDs.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They sound good - the improvs are wonderful, and it's big special event set. Analog 70s is where it's at!

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  19. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

I love al his albums with The Keith Jarrett Trio. ( Gary Peacock And Jack de Jonnette)
    To name a few:
    Somewhere 2013
    The Out Of Towners 2004
    Changeless 1989
    Up For It 2003
    Inside Out 2001
    Tokyo 96 1998 On cd

20. Dave Gilmour's Cat

But the CDs sound good, right?

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, I think very much so. And there is likely only one mastering used for all countries.

22. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

except for the latest hybrid SACD issue in Japan which is a brand new master... on the hi-res layer only. redbook layer contains the standard master.

marcfeld69 and quicksrt like this.
  23. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Oddly enough, I bought Keith's 'Sun Bear Concerts' 10 LP box at the old NRM in the Eastwood Mall.

marcfeld69 and Vinyl Socks like this.
  24. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I would think Jarrett's longer performances are better served by CD, where the music isn't split between LP sides.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, but 40 minutes of solo piano with a break in middle is sometimes a nice thing. Not always but sometimes.

It is mainly the Japanese wood burned cover that is so attractive, plus better fidelity on vinyl no doubt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.