Keith Moon: We Miss You

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Who drummer Keith Moon died on this day in 1978.
    I will never forget this first line from the article in Rolling Stone
    Keith Moon died before he got old.
    Rest in peace Moonie

Best-
    Norm

2. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Indeed, he was one of a kind. There is still no drummer in rock capable of delivering the kind of magical, frenetic performances he did, while at the same time coming up with very intelligent, tricky rhythms that fit perfectly into well-written songs. Although he was "Moon the Loon," compare his form of musical insanity to today's calculated bafoonery!

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Keith was something else--incomparable to anyone. For anyone interested in "Moon the Loon" and The Who in general--Tony Fletcher wrote a wonderful biography of Keith Moon. "Dear Boy"--highly recommended.

4. Mike Dow

Keith in action

Attached Files:

5. Mike Dow

"practicing" for the role of Uncle Ernie

Attached Files:

6. Mike Dow

another action shot

Attached Files:

7. Mike Dow

Monterey Pop

Attached Files:

8. Carl Hoffmann

Carl Hoffmann Senior Member

There was a really good radio piece on NPR's "Weekend Edition" this morning covering Moon's life with the Who. Pretty sad ending for an amazing muscian. Mentioned that Daltry is working on producing a compilation of video featuring Moon plus the "Kids Are Alright" being released later this month on DVD.

9. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I still really miss Moonie, wonderful drummer. The Who were never the same, no offense to Kenny Jones, Simon Phillips, Zak Starkey. The Who were one of my two or three favorite bands of all time. Luckily I'm old enough to have seen the original Who live a few times. Unforgettable concerts, Moon, Townshend and Daltry all battling for center stage at once, what sublime lunacy.

Jeff

10. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

The world was a more fun, dynamic and noisy place with Keith Moon around. I miss him a lot.

11. Fiercewerewolf

Fiercewerewolf Retired

I've heard of this guy. Didn't he did in tragic circumstances? Drove his Rolls Royce into a swimming pool and drowned?

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

No, he survived that. Did it proudly. He took medication for alcoholism, overdosed after drinking quite heavily at a party, and his girl found him dead the next morning.

If I remember, he took twice the dose by accident. He forgot his 1st dose, and before he went to bed, he took some more. On top of that, he was drinking until 2AM. I'm sure someone can correct me here...

13. Fiercewerewolf

Fiercewerewolf Retired

In truth, I think The Who lost it long before Moon died. Their albums were nearly always awful from Tommy onwards - Next excluded - and their singles were uniformly crap after Won't Get Fooled. I saw them live a few times in the Moon days and they weren't that good.

And there was really no need for them at all once the Jam came along.

I don't suppose anyone here will agree with me.

14. Mike Dow

15. Mike Dow

My initial post here was a little on the harsh side. In retrospect, I thought I would delete it.

16. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Well, you're right, I don't agree with you. Quadrophenia awful? Gimme a break. Who By Numbers?? Great album, IMHO. Saw them live and they weren't that good? Well I guess you caught them on a rare off night :rolleyes:

I've seen the Jam live, and, yes, they were very good, however nothing, and I mean nothing (except maybe Bruce Springsteen), compares to The Who live in the Keith Moon era.

Well, different opinions make the world go 'round. Glad to read yours, hope you enjoyed reading mine.

Jeff

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The Who are my all-time second favorite band(after the Fabs). Nothing like them ever in rock. Keith Moon, especially, is unheralded in all of any kind of music. Think of another drummer who plays even remotely like him. Zak Starkey may come close, but even he cannot summon the mayhem that Keith did on a regular basis(at least, until around 1975).

The best Rock & Roll(did someone say, "best, ever"?)drummer of all time.

Evan

18. bato

bato Senior Member

19. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

By total coincidence I was watching the bonus material of The Who from the Criterion Monterrey Pop DVD (Substitute, Summertime Blues and A Quick One) today. I was reminded of how unique, furious and just damn entertaining it was to watch Keith Moon play. With energy that intense, he just couldn't keep on going at that pace.

My son looked in just as Keith totally tears up the refrain from Substitute.

"Look at 'im go dad! Did he always play like that?"

"Yeah, even during the ballads".

20. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't know how he died. But thanks for posting this Sckott. I've always heard that he died like John Bonham.

Gary

21. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Well, certainly I don't agree with you but I guess that should be pretty obvious since I started the thread.

Since I have read some of your other posts I am not feeling paranoid here. You have crapped other threads besides this one.

The guy is dead. He's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He is considered by many to be the greatest rock drummer of all time.

Stay retired please
    Goodbye-
    Norm

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I hope Moonie really does rest in peace.

He was a supernatural, both in his astounding talent and the voraciousness with which he destroyed it. Like a large rocket on the 4th of July, he put on a great show, never letting up for a moment, yet the fuel burned towards exhaustion all the while.

My favorite drummer in my favorite band:thumbsup: :agree:

Ken

23. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

The perfect drummer for the Who, and they've spent so many years trying to find a proper replacement.

24. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

You said it, brother. I still remember Greil Marcus's words, which were something to the effect of "when you listen to Moon's drumming, he doesn't just sound like the best rock-n-roll drummer of all time, which he obviously was. He sounds like the only one."

I saw the Who in the fall of 1975. To this day, I've never seen the combination of precision and abandon I saw then. Nothing can compare.

25. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I once saw Robbie Williams at a small club in Montreal (at the same point in time he was appearing at Wembley in England). I came away appreciating not so much his music, but his Keith Moon-like personality. My favourite Moonie moments — the whirling dervish Shake and Shimmy in The Kids Are Alright, the wild A Quick One (Rock and Roll Circus) and the Who Are You video near the end of The Kids Are Alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.