Keith Moon: We Miss You

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by teaser5, Sep 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

I wish I'd said that. Yes. Combination of precision and abandon. He was amazing.

2. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Yes I believe that is truth - this happened after the Paul McCartney's Bash for the premiere of "The Buddy Holly Story" - many pictures are have been published and in circulation of that fateful night - Paul, Linda, Keith and Amanda Lax (His girlfriend at the time) sharing a dinner table on top of which is a big bottle of Champagne!!

For a truly hilarious read - try "Full Moon" (The story of Keith Moon....Late of the Who , Late of the earth) by Dougal Butler (Keiths driver, personal assistant, baby sitter and eventually - general partner in crime) -even if 1/2 of the book is true - Keith was a total maniac and lived the Rock n' Roll Lifestyle to the hilt!!!

Oh and also according to Dougal - The Rolls story is one of the great Rock n Roll fabrications of all time - it never happened - Keith never drove a Rolls Royce into a Swimming Pool -

The incident that did happen involves Keith driving his Rolls into a small pond in from of his house in England after a big blow out with his (then) wife Kim who after threatening to leave him (one of many times) - Keith jumped into the car, claimed "he was going to end it all and do himself in" and promptly drove it into the pond - trouble was the pond was close to being totally drained - so Keith got out in and embarssingly trudge thru the mud just to get back to his house!!!

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I looked a few things up. I was curious to say the least. Nice to be right for once! ;)

- He died September 7th '78 after the Buddy Holly party mentioned. #9, 12 Curzon Place, London. Ironically, it was the same flat that Mama Cass died in years before.

-Heminevrin (comments, Norm?) is what killed Moonie. He took 32 pills (27 were undissolved. Reports say it may have been suicide, but this was someone who took a horse tranquilizer and passed out for two days.

- Pete Townshend was reportedly aggravated with Moonie by the time Who Are You was being recorded. Supposedly, the multi's of Who Are You and rehearsals show an aggravated Moon as well. A perfectionist, never happy with many takes he's done.

-Here's something from a website I caught: In 1965 a reporter asked Keith about the flare ups in the group and looking at him with his wide and innocent eyes Keith said,
    "Yes, It's Roger, he hates me!"
    The reporter asked why and Keith replied,
    "Because I told him he can't sing. . . I don't like half our records and Roger is the reason."

This problem became even worse when Roger knocked him out. Roger recalled how it happened,
    "The band was playing ****ing terrible. I had a big flare up with Moon in the dressing room, and in the flare up I got hold of his box of pills (purple hearts) and tipped them down the loo. And that's when he started trying to beat me up."

After being kicked out of the group and then brought back in again, Roger promised to be more peaceful and after that Keith and Roger got along much better.

Another said Moon admitted to never had taken lessons but in fact, he did.....

4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

It's kind of ironic that Roger is the one who seems to carry Moonie's torch these days, ostensibly looking for a movie script about him that would capture all his contradictions and talent. I suspect there will be a little burst of nostalgia for Keith again after TKAA comes out....

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I remember when I was working at a health food store, and "Going Mobile" came on the radio. During the solo, my coworker stopped working, and was just standing there. I asked him what was up, and he said, "I was just listening to the drummer".

What more need be said?

Evan

6. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

"Nothing more needs to be said" ;)

7. GP

GP Senior Member

Does anyone know when "The Kids Are Alright" will finally be released on DVD? That film is the greatest rockumentary ever made. Moonie was the most amazing drummer rock music ever had IMHO. The volatile chemistry and unrelenting passion he brought to that group will never be duplicated. The only other rock drummer to have such an impact on me was the great John Bonham. Both these giants brought a totally unique identity to the genre. Heh, old Keef even had a Muppet created in his image.

Wherever Moon is now, he's probably raising hell somewhere, Jamming with the Ox, Thunderfingers....

8. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Get ready Moby....September 30th is the date for "The Kids Are Alright" two DVD set! Check this link to read about the restoration

www.thekidsarealright.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.