Keith Olbermann out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member Thread Starter

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Olbermann's show had a niche, at best. Given Colin Cowherd's recent ascension, it's not like they needed another outspoken guy, let alone one that has less of a following.

3. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Olbermann and Bill Simmons enlightened, educated and entertained me even when I disagreed with them.

Not a fan of "the Herd" at all. :rolleyes:

phish, stever, FritzL and 3 others like this.
  4. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Nevertheless, he's quite popular.

I have always liked Olbermann, but there are lots of people that he simply doesn't appeal to. I hope he finds an outlet for his unique skills.

Don't know much about Simmons.

vince, O Don Piano and levi like this.
  5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I loved his statement to Letterman..Soccer (futball) IS the sport of the future, and always will be.

6. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

Leave it to ESPN to get rid of pretty much the only person on the network worth watching. Then again, CBS pushed Murrow out. People that speak truth to power never seem to last long, but they sure shine bright for a time.

jupiter8, sunspot42, vince and 4 others like this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The Herd is a blowhard, perfect for talk radio I guess.

8. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

Isn't it generally understood that, whatever his skills, Olbermann is an incredibly difficult employee? ESPN may have decided, yet again, that he wasn't worth the hassle. I take no position on the man, simply because it's been nearly twenty years since I watched him regularly.

Mister Charlie and spanky1 like this.
  9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

You're right about Cowherd, of course. Simmons founded grantland.com ... one of my favorite (but often infuriating) sites for essays about sports, music and other aspects of pop culture. ESPN fired him in May.

10. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Jawohl!

12. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  13. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Maybe he can move to Fox to call NASCAR races. :D

dlokazip likes this.
  14. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Olbermann is one of those polarizing people who wears out their welcome after about two years. Very few people who are worth the "headache" to keep around. Maybe a Labron James once in a lifetime employee. Olbermann or Simmons do not fit the "once in a lifetime" bill. Nice niche people to have around but not the end of the world. If Andy Rooney became untolerable to work with.....60 Minutes would have been fine without him. The reality, right or wrong, is that big entertainment media does have to "tow" a line with their content providers (for example NFL). ESPN radio, at least, are quite critical of some NFL activities. Look at our host here at SHTV. Pretty much most can get away with not agreeing. However, if you started calling Steve a "Liar"...etc..you would probably be booted. Same principal at ESPN.

15. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

You are correct. Exactly, how difficult is Olbermann you might ask. IIRC, he was the only (living) former ESPN Sportscenter anchor not incited back during the recent 25th anniversary week. THat says a lot about him. However, since that week, they did hire him back. I don't feel any sorry for a network that will hire him because you know exactly what you'll get with him. In about a 2-yr time period, he starts to act like a jerk, and then stomps around a bit. Within months, he has a very bitter exit. This is a recurring theme in his employment history.

Seems to be quite the narcissist .

16. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I worked with him when he was at MSNBC, my first hand account: A TOTAL JERK, thinks he's some kind of god that people need to bow down to and a bit of a cry baby if things don't go his way. Good riddance, ESPN, he'll likely end up at FOX News because nobody wants to deal with him and they don't know any better...

17. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

He's too one-sided, I find him very annoying.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  18. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

He's so self-righteous. The outrage meter is permanently pinned to 11 with him. He is a smart guy, and from what I understand from those who have dealt with him he will make sure you know it.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

...... or FOX News. Now, THOSE are fights I would watch!
    :hide:

dlokazip likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That would be a ratings bonanza.

Coricama likes this.
  21. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

How about Olbermann and O'Reilly do a cagematch show. I'd watch..........once.

22. Won't miss him at all. Difficult employee appears to be putting it mildly. He may have trouble landing a job at any of the "major" TV outlets at this point, but I'm probably wrong again - I was surprised when ESPN took him back in the first place. (one of the few times I've actually sent an email telling them what I thought of their decision)

You'd think FOX would be the last place to hire him, but see bolded point above. :oops:

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Boy, the guy sure does get fired a lot.

Where oh where will they find another loudmouth windbag for a sports talk show? WHERE I ASK YOU?!

Chris DeVoe and jimbutsu like this.
  24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's always been the scuttle butt. There is a big difference between enjoying what he says on TV (or radio) and actually having to work with the guy. Being a colossal pain in the a** is no way to keep a job. Trouble is, I don't think he can help it. He doesn't know any other way.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  25. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

I believe I read someplace that his Countdown show had a staff turnover rate somewhere in the 75% range. Love most of the guy's work, but his reputation as a hygienic irrigation device of immense proportions appears to be well-earned.

SteelyNJ and Mister Charlie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.