Keith Olbermann out at ESPN

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by cathandler, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The interesting thing that I find about Keith getting canned at ESPN, is that my best friend hated him when he was on MSNBC, saying that he was a sports guy and he didn't belong there. So, he goes back to sports and then they fire him again. Cruel business that world of entertainment and I should know after 30 plus years in the radio side of it! The way that I see it, there's only one Oprah and one Howard and the rest of us, in the eyes of the world of programmers, can go suck a big fat one. Now let's take the sales staff out for a nice dinner and a ride on the owner's yacht because, after all, THEY are the ones who brings in the $$$'s, NOT the personalities! I really believe that's the way that we as personalities are looked upon by the power people!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

3. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

"Aloof" would be the best word to describe him, speaking from personal experience in the past...

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Maybe a certain blowhard from WFAN in New York?
    I'm a fan of Olbermann. I know he's full of himself. But he brings such great context to current sports events that you see nowhere else. Sports coverage does tend to have a very short memory, and most of these hosts are not the sharpest knife in the drawer-I think his sports literacy is quite refreshing. But he's running out of places to go. And jackets to wear.

Apollo C. Vermouth likes this.
  5. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

This is a guy who's biggest claim to fame is being in a Hootie and the Blowfish Music Video:

6. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

But if he takes the job he'll miss out on insulting callers, arguing with them, hanging up on them, etc.:)

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I haven't watched his show in a while.

Won't be missed here....

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So I guess this makes Keith...

The Worst Person In The World!

Coricama and Mister Charlie like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I can envision him as a 'wrestling villain' on Fox News....
    which is as that politics is, anyway.....

10. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Once by Fox and once by Current and this one.....since 1992. That doesn't seem like that much to me, especially given his personality.

11. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I didn't know that, but I did know that he is worth in excess of $25 million dollars. Pretty good for a dude nobody likes.

12. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I watched Countdown on and off, but he fell off my radar completely when he went to the unwatchable (and now defunct) Current TV, but I was excited when he was returning to ESPN as a sports commentator. Unfortunately, when the show first hit the air, the timing wasn't consistent and I never got into a groove with it. Then there were further time changes, and I could never catch on.

I go through periods where I like Olbermann, but then also periods where I find him intolerable. Much like his employers, I guess.

13. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Actually, as of last weekend Fox Sports no longer covers NASCAR - NBC now does. And since he's burned his bridges at NBC/ESPN, I wouldn't hold my breath (although, in a way Olbermann as a NASCAR commentator would be an interesting proposition, something akin to Andy Kaufman and his adventures in the world of professional wrestling).

14. I didn't like him and won't miss him so this is no surprise to me, the surprise for me was that he lasted any time at all.

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

NBC & ESPN are not part of the same organization. ABC & ESPN are both part of Disney.

16. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I wish nobody liked me that much. o_O

He is windy, but he is brainy. And since brains are in such short supply on broadcast media, I have enjoyed his presence, esp on ESPN.

He'll land somewhere. There's always an opening for a lightning rod.

jupiter8, sunspot42, dlokazip and 2 others like this.
  17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I agree. I like the guy. He's not perfect, but neither am I.

gd0 likes this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Total blowhard in every context. What little I've heard come out of his mouth was just such nonsense masquerading as serious thought that I couldn't listen long enough to find out if he might actually have something worthwhile to say.

19. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

This thread is about Keith Olberman, not Bill O'Reilly

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Thanks for enlightening me.

Here's a thought...if you want to take a gratuitous shot at Bill O'Reilly there's a "start thread" button...

ElevatorSkyMovie, Benno123 and jriems like this.
  21. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

exactly...if you want to take a gratuitous shot at someone in this thread do it about Hannity.

:D

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

He reminds of a character from tv a bloated tv news with massive ego
    Example Ted Knights, character from Mary Tyler Moore.
    Both of them of full it.
    As the British say in there comedies Go, Away!

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Much like "Tuning" and "Volume", they're both knobs.

Coricama and PHILLYQ like this.
  24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Except the Ted Knight character was harmless and no one took him seriously. There are people who actually believe Olbermann to be a serious thinker (albeit not many if his ratings are any indicator) because he takes hugely unconventional stances like criticizing baseball's leadership...

jriems and Mirrorblade.1 like this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Serious Thinker:wtf::laugh::laugh: you made my day .
    Jeeze.. People really cares what he thinks good, God,.:sigh:
    I really think he's like Phil Hartman's character from News Radio, pompus.. ass.
    Why would anybody want him after being fired some many times.
    Alabama, is calling... to do the hog reports.:winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.