Keith Richards should have sung "Wild Horses" on Sticky Fingers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Odysseus, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've always been partial to the Rolling Stones song "Wild Horses", however the song in its released form has never felt quite as epic or powerful to me as it perhaps should.

A few years ago I stumbled upon this acoustic-vocal performance of the song as performed by Keith, presumably around the time it was written in the early 70s. IMO the song sounds far superior with Keith singing it than Mick.

I know part of it here is in the natural of the recording, as it's an intimate performance as opposed to a full band arrangement as heard on the Sticky Fingers album, but I never cared for Mick's vocal on the song, even before I found this little gem.

I only wish that there was a Rolling Stones studio version of "Wild Horses" from this era with Keith on lead vocal instead of Mick.

2. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Jimmy; Jimmy Miller once told me he thought Wild Horses was perfect for Keith's vocal style. Additionally; he thought the same of Waiting On A Friend.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  3. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The Burritos version for me is definitive due to Parson’s vocal, which fits the mood of the lyrics much better, same with Keith’s vocal here.

Umbari, funknik, George P and 13 others like this.
  4. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Best Stones cover ever as far as I’m concerned.

funknik and fenderesq like this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Back to the topic, Keith would have nailed this song and it was odd that between two Stones albums with a Keith vocal you had this one which was all Mick. If I had to pick a song for Keith, this would definitely be the one.

6. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

I'm going to have to disagree, Mick's vocal is one of the keys to this perfect song and perfect recording.

In this era Mick had mastered a slightly removed vocal approach that gave off a sense of exhaustion and longing that hits just right for me. It would peak on Goats Head Soup which unsurprisingly is my favorite Stones album.

vertigone, Terry, funknik and 22 others like this.
  7. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I can't refute that; however lately I've become very drawn into Townes Van Zandt's cover of Dead Flowers.

KeninDC, bonus, lesterbangs and 9 others like this.
  8. Zoot Marimba

Great one as well.

CusBlues likes this.
  9. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

10. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Hear, hear!!

funknik, CusBlues and Zoot Marimba like this.
  11. Safeway 1

12. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

My guess is they knew it was a very commerical track and didn't want to mess wth the formula. But that doesn't explain why they gave it away.

mschrist and CusBlues like this.
  13. Safeway 1

Here's what GP said about it.

14. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I can totally picture and hear in my head the studio version of this song with Keith singing it. Oh man, yes.

CusBlues and Odysseus like this.
  15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Love Wild Horses as a song, but always felt the Stones released Take was 1) a bit dirge-ier than needed, 2) and could’ve use some weepy steel guitar not dissimilar from what Ben Keith was adding to Neil Young’s tunes of the same period.

16. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Well, for starters, Wild Horses was a big hit single, so I don’t think the choice to let Mick sing was exactly disastrous or anything.

And besides, Wild Horses features some of Keef’s greatest, most impassioned backing vocals, which blend perfectly with Mick’s heartfelt singing.

17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I love Mick’s the vocals on this but now I wish there was an alternate take with Keith singin’.

18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that sounds amazing but I think it sounds better because its paired/pared? down (the released version is great but maybe one too many acoustic guitars.)

CusBlues likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Yeah Mick sounds a little pretentious on this one with the country inflections. He always did in country tunes but that is what gave his vocals character! He brought the country based songs more into pop territory with his vocals.

Oliver and CusBlues like this.
  20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Gram's looser vocal fits the song better IMO. His timing and phrasing bring out more of the pathos imbedded in the song.

21. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

I think they both sing it great. Mick wrote the words, probably about Marianne, and I think he sings them genuinely. It’s not till 1974-75 that he starts hamming it up on the ballads. But Keith has the soul.

CusBlues and Diamond Star Halo like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While somewhat limited, Keith's vocal style certainly works for certain material, and likely would have been appropriate for "Wild Horses," but Mick's vocals on "Waiting On A Friend" are some of the best of his career.

23. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

:righton::righton::righton:

Knowing only Jagger's vocal, I never really liked the song until I heard the FBB's version.

Richards does have more emotion than Jagger, but Gram has that too, plus vocal range.

CusBlues likes this.
  24. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

This is from the much bootlegged Honeymoon Tapes, recorded in 1983, where Keith recorded dozens of songs and snippets.

bonus, btltez, DTK and 1 other person like this.
  25. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I know I am going to be unpopular for saying so, but Gram Parsons’ version makes the song totally middle-of-the-road. It sounds like that slimey corny country music the radio was so filled up with during the seventies. Thank goodness The Stones took it back and made it an outlaw tune.

And by the way, there is nothing wrong with Jagger’s delivery of the song. He wrote the lyrics in the verses, so he should know. I can see the idea of Keith doing it, though.

dkmonroe, TeddyB, marcb and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.