Keith Richards should have sung "Wild Horses" on Sticky Fingers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Odysseus, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

I'm sure it would've sounded good with KR singing but as others have pointed out he contributes some of his best backing vocals on this track.

2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

On this song, he does. He phoned it in, and was clearly mimicking Mick’s style. Gram sang much better, elsewhere.

starduster, Lightworker and MHP like this.
  3. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I usually like Keith’s singing, but his version of Wild Horses doesn’t do anything for me. The song is just fine as released.

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Mick do it best.

He even does this better:

MagneticSouth1966 likes this.
  5. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i don't think keith was really up to singing much around the time some of what became sticky fingers was being made.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Mick wrote the lyrics and delivers them with a lot of feeling.
    It was nice hearing Keith, but it's just a bedroom jam.

ohnothimagen, starduster and MHP like this.
  7. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

8. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

It was on Hot Rocks, in 1971. I think it was by special agreement between Abcko and the stones. Which means Klein thought it was a definitive stones greatest hit, and it entered the canon. Plenty of kids including me had hot rocks first.

9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I agree totally about the GP version. Too california laid back MOR sound. Love Keith singing it but Mick's vocal makes it IMO. On the other hand, The Stones chose Keith's vocal for YOU GOT THE SILVER over Mick's vocal, which was really good too.

MHP likes this.
  10. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

duh. didn't see someone posted YOU GOT THE SILVER already

11. Odysseus

Odysseus Forum Resident Thread Starter

You mean that Susan Boyle made "Wild Horses" familiar to a new generation of senior citizens, right? Because that's the demographic that she appeals to.

My 80 year old grandma was listening to Susan Boyle around the time she died several years ago now.

Gumboo likes this.
  12. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Lyrics are very personal to Jagger, not sure why Keith would even want to sing them. FBB version plods horribly with Gram overdoing his little boy lost routine.

13. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That's a great cover and my preferred version of the song. Also check out Lambchop doing "Backstreet Girl" youtube.com/watch?v=IkmuZL9Kt_8

14. Odysseus

I've never understood this logic. It's like people who claim this have zero idea of what empathy is or the human ability to relate to another's thoughts or emotions.

By this rule probably about 60-70% of songs we all know couldn't be sung by their respective singers due to the lyrics having been written by someone else.

15. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

How many of those songs are written by the lead singer of a band and given to a member of the band who's lucky if he gets to sing one song per album?

16. Odysseus

Probably in the history of recorded music there are way more singers who sing songs written by someone else than singers writing their own songs/lyrics.

Elvis didn't write. Frank Sinatra didn't write didn't write either. Same goes for Brittany Spears and Christina Aguilera. The songs singers like Brad Delp (Boston) and Liam Gallagher (Oasis) are known for are written by others.

17. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

You kind of entirely missed the point of my post.

18. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

Keith’s prominent backing vocals on Sticky Fingers say otherwise.

19. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Keith still sings the part of the lyrics that he wrote, to this very day!

20. Odysseus

Not at all. You've shown that you've entirely missed my point.

21. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Only on "Girl With Faraway Eyes." That song almost ruins Some Girls. He does well on other country-tinged Stones classics, especially "Wild Horses."

22. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

I don't think so. Your point could hardly be more obvious. Mine's was a bit more subtle. Too subtle it seems.

Rfreeman likes this.
  23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Not sure you remember 2009. The 2009 edition of Britain's Got Talent, when Boyle was participating, was it's most successful - I think they averaged over a 50% share throughout the year. The finals attracted one of the largest audiences in UK television history (at the time, the largest UK television audience in five years). I have no idea if non-seniors liked Boyle, but they were certainly exposed to "Wild Horses" at some point. If you search "Wild Horses Susan Boyle cover" on youtube, you'll get a ton of videos by kids working on their vocal chops.

Britain's Got Talent results show draws peak of more than 19m viewers

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  24. Odysseus

Lol, I'm not sure if you're trying to be snarky or not, but my point still stands that Susan Boyle's demographic is senior citizens... the kind of people who were in their 30s and 40s when Sticky Fingers originally came out.

25. Odysseus

Oh boy... :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.