Ken Burns' new documentary: The Vietnam War

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by riverclown, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I think I heard more swearing on last Sunday's episode of Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown than what I heard in uncensored Vietnam series.

2. White_Noise

White_Noise Well-Known Member

That's funny, I watched that too. I was surprised they got the green light for the ending skit. The episode was pretty funny, I think he just doesn't care anymore and it's fantastic.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  3. JBStephens

JBStephens I am not a "peep", thank you very much.

Apocolypse Now was a movie. This is a documentary. Big difference.

4. 4xoddic

4xoddic Active Member

My local PBS ran some companion pieces during the Burns' episodes. I caught part of a series of interviews with veterans. A guy was describing how he had just completed training as a mortician, when he was drafted & placed with one of the two main Army mortuaries in Viet Nam.

At one point, he describes seeing The Wall for the first time, and realizing he'd likely had some form of contact with 60% of the Veterans on the wall (~ 34,917). Although not part of Burns' & Novick's work, that was probably the most emotional segment I experienced . . . I believe the Stars & Stripes article below likely interviewed the same Veteran.

For those who prepared Vietnam's fallen, a lasting dread

beccabear67 likes this.
  5. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I just wanted to weigh in on an LBJ reading recommendation. Anyone interested in LBJ has to read all or some of the Caro biographies on LBJ. I am really not a non-fiction reader, and these books grabbed me like few books ever. These are really well researched and jaw dropping in many respects.

6. White_Noise

White_Noise Well-Known Member

I'm looking into that for sure. Can anyone recommend a fair Robert McNamara biography that was written post-mortem? I am fascinated by him and I don't know if I revile or admire him.

7. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Forum Resident

The DVD on The Fog of War is well worth watching about McNamara