Kenwood rumored to shut down its home audio division

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

It doesn´t matter much to me. I have some Kenwood speakers (central and surrounds) and... :shake:

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'm not really surprised. As far as I'm concerned, Kenwood has been invisible for a few years now. They made a push with the Sovereign line of home-theater components about three years ago, but only for one generation. That line disappeared suddenly.

As a serious question, does Kenwood made any home-audio or home-theater components currently?

4. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I agree that Kenwood has not been a player in hi fi for quite a while, but I am still saddened to see the loss of this name. Kenwood was one of the first Japanese brands to try to achieve some premium quality. I used for several years in the 80s a Kenwood KD-500 direct drive turntable with a distinctive "concrete resin" base. It was a nice product for the price.

5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Keith,

Kenwood has a whole-bunch of HT receivers available for pre-order at J&R.

Here're some pics of Kenwood gear from the recent CES in Las Vegas. Check out that 400-disc universal changer in the second photo!!

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Hmmmm...I once owned two of their cassette decks...it wasn't bad, and it served me well for the hell I put it through.

I haven't really cared about Kenwood products since the early 80s, though. I thought the quality steadily went down over the last couple of decades.

7. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Most of their late 1970s, early 1980s sound equipment was very well made, IMO. :agree:

8. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Yeah, I remember my uncle's monster amps from... the early 1980's, I guess. He had a HUGE power amp and a pair of Kenwood speakers with 15" cones and horn tweeters. He used to threaten me with raising the volume so high, his house would fall down.

I used to get scared, too!

9. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I've had a Sovereign VR-5070 home theater receiver since 2002. I'm using it as a pre/pro into a Parasound amp. can't help but be saddened by this news. the Kenwood gave me a nice entry into multi-channel sound.

Jeff

10. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Well this sucks.

I guess just another casualty of MP3s and people that need visuals provided for them (i.e. they can't seem to listen to music & let their own imaginations provide the pictures).

When I worked at Incredible Universe back in 1995, they sold a Kenwood preamp/power amp combination that was featured in their THX room. They were built like a tank, nothing like their stuff at Best Buy. Solid metal faceplates, control knobs, etc, and the 5 channel power amp had to literally be lifted with your legs unless you wanted back problems. IIRC together they went for about $4K.

Every time I go into an audio department nowadays--at Best Buy, Tweeter, Circuit, CompUSA, etc--95% of the time I am the only person there. And most of the time there is no saleperson either & I don't blame them. Though personally I put a little bit of the blame on the stores because many times the equipment isn't even hooked up or if it is, it is hooked up incorrectly (out-of-phase speakers being a very prevalent ocurrance).

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.