Kevin Can Wait: Erinn Hayes Exit (Potentially) Explained

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Jul 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Gary7704 likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't care how they explain it, I won't be watching (any more).

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they need to explain Kevin James' hair first.

[​IMG]

4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

crappy show

rburly likes this.
  5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Maybe that's why they're overhauling it....James still has the chops for tv, he just needs a better vehicle.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Yes he does but all too often crappy shows, dialogue and concepts are given life.

Did you check out 'Will'? Whoever green lighted that disaster should be fired.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I have spent many hours wondering about that. What IS the explanation??

By the way, "Kevin Can Wait" is a harrrrrible show.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

1. People will talk.
    2. There is no such thing as 'bad publicity'.:sigh:

9. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I want to know how they keep pairing him with Women who are clearly out of his league? I mean he is a major point jumper. IF it were two points, maybe. But he is jumping touchdowns like 7-on-7.

And don't get me started on TBBT.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I worked a little bit on Grownups and Grownups 2, and there was a moment during production (reported in the tabloids, so it's no secret) where Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Chris Rock, David Spade, and Will Forte had an extended conversation about their problems with hair loss and various toupees and transplants. Every one of them have had procedures over the years for male pattern baldness. To me, Kevin James is by far the worse and has had a "Chia Pet" head for years now, just totally bizarre, alien-like hair. He's not a bad guy -- my company worked on King of Queens for several years and he's actually a funny guy and does his best with the material.

The promos have been enough to scare me away.

11. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Who cares? Leah Remini's back. That's all I needed to hear.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I like this show

13. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

The wife divorced him and the kids are gone? That escalated quickly!

The problem with the show was not Erinn Hayes. The writing just isn't up to snuff and Kevin's character isn't as funny in this vehicle (I guess that's the writing).

I did like the Chale character though.

Love seeing him and Leah back but the 2 episodes they did together this season were a bit disappointing.

14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I know a guy who works for UPS down on Long Island and he tells me whenever anybody delivers to Kevin he is unfriendly and won't make eye contact. Which seems odd since he pretended to be one of them on TV for years.

I just started watching "Kevin Can Wait" on demand and kinda like it. But I tend to like anything he does...for reasons I can't comprehend. I liked both "Mall Cop" movies and thought "Here Comes The Boom" was strangely uplifting. But maybe that was due to Henry Winkler.

I didn't mind the wife on this new show and hope she didn't get a bum rap. Whatever short-comings the show may have had I don't think she was to blame. But they have to make room for Leah, I guess. Seems wrong. And lazy.

15. Splungeworthy

Kevin Can Wait was in the top 20 for all shows for the coveted 18-49 demo. It was the top rated new show. Not sure how they could complain from an artistic standpoint given those numbers."Moving in a different creative direction" tells me that Hayes and James didn't mesh well, and when Remini was available and did those two last shows, the old chemistry must have come flooding back. Hard to argue with nine years of success from the old show, but does lightning strike twice here? It will be very interesting to see how they hand wave this away. Now they need to bring Deacon and Spence back!

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

When does Jerry Stiller move in?

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

He does make those "Celebrities that suck" lists quite often. You'd think he'd be a little more cheerful.

Kubricker and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Xenu? Is that you, oh Dark One?

19. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Erinn Hayes looks like she could be his daughter. Never believed she could be his wife given the age diference.

ted321 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. Splungeworthy

And the fact that they would have her wear the skinniest jeans possible to further drive home the physical differences between the two. I'm sure he didn't like that.

21. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Bring in Leah Remini and the problem is fixed.

22. Agerst1574

Agerst1574 Forum Resident

I like Kings of Queens a lot. I always get a kick that the exterior of the building where Spence and Danny live is the building where I live. But Kevin Can Wait borders on being brutal. Part of it is that there are no sparks between Erin Hayes and Kevin James and yes, he is too old for her. The writing is also garbage. Very few funny moments in the show and the episodes with Leah Remni were not particularly good.

23. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Maybe they could do the same thing like Bonnie Hunt did with her daughter on her show. The daughter was in every scene in the house and then the following year, she was just gone and nothing was ever said. Just vanished without a trace.

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The main problem with this show, outside of it's mediocre scripts, is that Billy Vera didn't sing the theme!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, Leah Remini is a talented actress and clearly has great chemistry with Kevin James. It's unfortunate that they had to axe another actress in order to give her the job.

We have discussed shows where characters were replaced or disappeared without a trace, and I think you have to come up with some reasonable explanation for the audience in order to pull that off. I worked on the last season of Laverne & Shirley where Cindy Williams went on strike over money and working conditions and refused to come back to work, so Paramount wrote her out of the show. They opened one episode where Laverne talked to "Cindy" on the phone and said, "hey, have a great time on your honeymoon! We'll see you when you get back!" And she hung up the phone and the character was never mentioned or seen again. :eek:

They also recut the opening credits so that Cindy Williams' face was no longer shown, though (because of contracts) her name was still in the titles. I told Tony Marshall at the time, "hey, why don't you change the name of the show to 'Laverne And...'," but he wouldn't go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.