Kevin Smith Suffers a Massive Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pete Puma, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete Puma

Pete Puma Forum Veteran Thread Starter

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Crazy......
    Been listening to his podcasts on a weekly basis since "Zack & Miri...", and this comes as a total shock!
    I assumed he didn't do that diet that Jeff Garlin told him about.

3. Pete Puma

Not sure what his diet is -he still looks like he's carrying at least an extra 50lbs.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  4. vince

I've been listening to him for so long now, I'm thinking the lure of 'yummy snacks' has a little something to do with this.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. vince

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No surprise at all. He's always been massively overweight. Hope he finally takes this as a much-needed wake-up call. Glad to know he's doing better.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He lost a fair amount of weight a few years ago after being embarrassed on a flight. He was juicing. I was tempted to try it myself since he had such good results from it. But I'm sure he did plenty of damage being so heavy and smoking for so long.

I should use this as a wake up call for myself and start eating right because I'll be in the same boat before long.

Anyway, I'm glad they saved him and hope he can make a full recovery.

goodiesguy, 905, bababooey and 2 others like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Although I wasn't aware of some weight loss, the fact is he's still very very overweight. He needs to do things right and shed a lot of weight... kind of like John Goodman. If he had stayed at the same massive weight he had when doing The Babe, I don't think he'd still be with us today.

9. Daniel Plainview

He made some progress. Not enough, I guess. I was envious.

[​IMG]

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Blocked artery. That takes years to build up. And he's only 47.

Although the article doesn't say, I'm assuming the doctors cleared the blockage and inserted a stent.

11. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

lack of exercise> smoking too :winkgrin:

sean

12. Pete Puma

How recent is the picture on the right? It's hard to judge his weight as his clothes obscure most details.

13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

When he finally does pass, those are gonna be mighty big Jorts to fill.

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I'm glad Kevin is still around. He must have been so scared as it happened.

My spouse's cousin passed away last Friday from a massive heart attack - he was 51. He was thin and active but he smoked. His father passed at 71 from the same cause. The reason he died though was this - he didn't pay attention to the warning signs and get himself to a hospital.

Putting aside taking care of yourself, medical science is f----ng amazing in an emergency. You feel those changes in your breathing and pains in the chest get yourself to a hospital.

15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

He actually wrote about that on an Instagram post:

Kevin Smith on Instagram: “I was trying to do a killer standup special this evening but I might’ve gone too far. After the first show, I felt kinda nauseous. I threw…”

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah he's had plenty warnings. If you read his book My Boring *** Life! He was already getting bowel issues 10+ years ago from his diet and spending hours sitting on the toilet with his Macbook on his lap doing his 'intenet stuff' in the morning.

From what I remember his proctologist gave him the following sage advice -

1. Only poop when you need to poop!

2. Only poop for as long as you need to poop! Once finished...get off or you are just straining your bowels!

I wish him well however. Up to him if he makes the required changes.

krock2009 and carrick doone like this.
  17. vince

He often told of bringing doughnuts to the set of "The Flash" & "Supergirl";
    I assume the stars are too young and beautiful to eat them, so........

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

He's always been a cool ("coolesque"....?) sorta guy, at ease with jokes and just as dialed-in as I am about pop culture. Entertaining, natural talent, that smile on his face brings out those kind of good looks even a bro can appreciate.

To learn he faced the big blooey, and came away relieved, could be his ticket to an eventual relapse, though. Cool with leaving behind loving family? Happy with all he's accomplished to the point he could say "thassit" when he has potential to do so much more (and I'm saying this empathetically, not as a "customer" feeling somehow "cheated")? Ummmm, I dunno if someone was sending you a message, buuuut...maybe you should press the button anyway, in case the light was just burnt out.

If you can't get the gonads together to care about the opportunity this little event has given you, and convince yourself it's worth it to invest a little more time in turning this battleship around...I dunno, maybe we were cheated...cheated out of a better martyr than a role model.

Which is too bad...because I really like the dude.

19. Daniel Plainview

I think it was taken in 2015.

20. Daniel Plainview

This was from Sundance 2018

[​IMG]

Still looks better than he at his heaviest.

[​IMG]

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The constant hockey jersey look is a tiresome bit.

Still, glad he’s doing better and hopefully he’ll implement some life changes. I need to do the same or I’ll be in the same hockey jersey as Kevin.

22. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, the jersey thing is getting old, but I'd still take it over that old hoodie he wore for like 20 years.

You guys are making me nervous with that "too much time on the can" talk. I spend lots of time there....though I am actually conducting business, not forcing the issue! Like Louis CK said, I'm always in a 48 hour window of a bathroom emergency. If I'd only stop eating dairy and grease I could probably prevent all sorts of discomfort in my life.

Kevin Smith's heart attack should be seen as a cautionary tale to all to us bad eaters. Having said all that I just ate two pieces of Russell Stover candy someone left in the break room. Huzzah!

905, MikaelaArsenault, junk and 2 others like this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Smoking will do it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

If your sitting on the pot for 30 min, change your diet.

25. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Every time I see him on tv or the internet, he's bigger than the last time, so I can't say I was surprised about the heart attack. Hopefully, he uses this scare as motivation to make some changes. He's still a young man, we want him to stick around for a while.

krock2009 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.