Kevin Smith Suffers a Massive Heart Attack

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pete Puma, Feb 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Good work, I need to get cracking. No sugar or flour ever ever ever, or just drastically reduced?

I went on a Paleo-inspired plan a couple years ago and lost 20 lbs in weeks. I liked it but eventually fell back into old habits. When stuff happens to guys like Smith, who's basically my age, I start freaking.

dan c

melstapler likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Never forget;
    Kev works his fat butt off, too!
    Between directing those TV shows, he's touring the states with Jay, does a (sometimes) weekly comedy show with Ralph Garmin, AND, he had just shot a 'stand-up' special before this happened.
    He keeps a lot of plates in the air....which, I'm sure, adds more stress to that body than what we could imagine.

3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

No. I mostly stick to Berries.
    no sugar, no flour ever. First, refined foods aren't healthy. Second, they are addictive. When someone says eat sugar in moderation, and you're addicted to it, that advice puts you on the road to failure.
    So, first accept that these foods are addictive. Second, abstain from them. If you were an alcoholic, you wouldn't have a beer once a week because you did such a good job abstaining the previous 6 days.
    Over time, you can somewhat neutralize your cravings to sugar and flour products. BTW you'll never regret abstaining from these foods.

BTW I'm 46 years old, so I'm close to the age of Kevin Smith.

I am in a food addicts program. TALKING with other members about your food problems helps tremendously. You don't have to lose weight all by yourself.

And let's be honest...many people gain the weight back. I lost all the weight beginning MLK Day 2017...Its only been 1 year. I need to fight everyday to keep this weight off.
    I just went to Moab and I got a hotel room with a kitchen. I ate out once on the trip.
    When I got on the airplane, I brought my own food.
    When you own your food, rather than have it given to you, I feel more in control of what goes in my body. It's a daily struggle.

Standoffish, enro99, dasacco and 9 others like this.
  4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

This, too.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. audiomixer

His choice. And a price to be paid...

6. audiomixer

...and with your health history? :yikes:

7. audiomixer

It's amazing how some people just don't "get it".

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Possibly, a WORK-aholic.....
    "I just LOVE Workahol!"

9. audiomixer

Again, his choice. And a price to be paid. It's simple mathematics.
    (And the bulk of his work is not worth dying over...)

10. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Any Questions ?

*raises hand*

Why do you luck happy in the first pic and miserable in the second?

Just kiddin' ;) - great work !

Strat-Mangler, 905 and audiomixer like this.
  11. AKA

AKA Senior Member

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That must have been very difficult. I'm sure your family feels very blessed. Congratulations. If you have inspired one single person here it was worth the post!!

boboquisp likes this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, so you're hoping he has a heart attack? Classy!

14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

It wasn't that difficult in that it took me 25 years to get to the point that the light bulb when off in my head to say "I am ready to lose weight"
    5 years ago, I stopped drinking sodas. Then gradually, I started to eat less food portions.
    So it was a process. When I got into the program I was in last year, I believe I was mentally ready. It was easy to weigh my food. But I had to get use to eating 6 oz of steak rather than 2 pounds of it

Jrr and Tony-A like this.
  15. I'm naturally skinny and have rarely paid attention to what I eat because I didn't think I had to. Then one of my friends almost died from a heart attack. He was obese so I chalked it up to that. Then another friend who was my age and build almost died from a heart attack. He smoked and was a functional alcoholic but still it made me realize that being skinny isn't enough. I decided I didn't want be the next of my friends to have a heart issue . So now I walk at least four hours a week and am working on my food intake. Cookies went first. I cut way down on fast food as well. I can' quite give up my pizza habit but I now buy a very small thin crust pizza. All small steps that were easy to do. Next up - getting rid of potato chips and trying to find a yucky vegetable or two that I like enough to eat regularly.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Congrats to @jojopuppyfish for his healthy lifestyle changes and weight loss.

mj_patrick, jojopuppyfish and Dan C like this.
  17. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

His voice sounds considerably deeper than the last time I heard him speak several years ago. A shame he's having major health issues despite attempts to better his lifestyle with exercise and weight loss, etc.

mj_patrick likes this.
  18. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I read it as "let's hope Moore is the next to lose some weight and avoid these troubles".

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The blockage took a long time to form, and doesn't just disappear as soon as you make some lifestyle changes. I'm six months in after my heart attack (two stents) and got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist. The odd part is that I didn't have the stereotypical pain in the left arm...or indeed any pain at all. Just some moderate discomfort in my chest and sweating in a 72 degree room.

When all this happened, I came to the conclusion that the #1 killer of middle aged men is "I'm fine!"

20. G E N E T I C S.
    90% of what will happen health wise is based on your genetic makeup.
    Kevin apparently comes from a heart attack prone genetic background.
    Hard as all get out to avoid that bullet...it happens, but usually you eventually succumb to the genetics.

I like Kevin and I hope he makes a worthy recovery from this unfortunate event.

carrick doone likes this.
  21. How much did that friggin' hat weigh?

MekkaGodzilla and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

23. Chris DeVoe

It is, the the words of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones "a hell of a hat."

24. Chris DeVoe

True, but lifestyle factors exacerbate the genetic predisposition - ie STOP SMOKING. And losing some weight couldn't hurt.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Congrats but that means you had no bread, pasta, pancakes, cake, muffin, doughnut, hamburger, hot-dog, pizza, or cookies for an entire year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.