Kids listening to old music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Just a reminder that rap, as a fairly mainstream genre at least, is over 30 years old.

It technically is old people music now.

2. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

My youngest is a senior in high school, and her and most of her friends listen to the more famous older groups (Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Smiths) as well as recent stuff (new Kendrick Lamar has been on repeat). As I'm going through the clearance CDs, I will pick up items for her to try out - that's how I picked up all of the Pink Floyd catalog and other stuff, although she balked at Esquivel.

broshfab4 likes this.
  3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Oh yeah, absolutely.

"My kid is so sharp that he threw Adele and Beyonce into the trash and started playing the MONO Parsley Sage Rosemary & Thyme nonstop on his vintage 60s suitcase turntable with the MONO cart I put on it....."

4. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

This is what I've seen with the kids I deal with. The ones with the phones in their face don't care about anything of course, including good music, but there is a small number of these kids hearkening back to the classics. Had a number of good conversations with these young people and passed on recommendations of course, even convinced one to buy himself a turntable! So maybe there is hope.

Ginger Ale and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Guys. To those of you shouting "Myth!" and those of you seeing patterns developing, there are no theories to prove or disprove based on anecdotal evidence. Some of us know kids who occasionally listen to old music, some of us do not. Musical interests are incredibly personal and they develop gradually over time.

And some kids listen to their parent's music before finding their own way. Back in the early to mid 70s when I was 6-10, all I listened to was Elvis Presley because that's what my mom liked. After a time that changed. When I discovered FM radio.

All I'm saying is its never black and white. Everyone's musical tastes develop differently, so trying to establish a pattern in such a diverse and ever evolving landscape is shaky at best. At the same time, denying it ever happens at all is just silly.

6. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Exactly this. It really is stupid to try and nail the musical tastes of everyone in a generation down to a science. If we're talking about demographics and what's popular, it's one thing, but there is no scientific rule to a kid's tastes in music.

Double D likes this.
  7. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I dont think anybody is saying "everyone in a generation". Well, I know I'm not.

But, there are obvious trends, and trends are created by large numbers of people.

And the trend I see among young people is the same I saw as a kid: most kids didnt like their dads music. they thought it was uncool.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Look at sales data.

May not give you the entire picture, in particular used sales, but I think you'd get a pretty good idea what the average music buyer is listening to. And sales likely skews towards the younger demographic, as it has for many decades.

e.s. likes this.
  9. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Young people need their own music. They need something to separate themselves from the elder generations - It's considered essential for youths to overcome their parents' influence in order to fully mature (at least in western culture).

Hey, I've listened to older persons music for most of my life. While I personally prefer the music of the 60's-90's to todays music, I think it is a shame that many young people don't feel that they have their own music that can speak to them about their lives.

CupOfDreams and Hot Ptah like this.
  10. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I've never understood alleged film/music buffs who have no desire to check out the creations that were made before they were born.

There's really no excuse for it either, given that everybody now has the internet.

11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

There was a 3 year old lip syncing to AC/DC on youtube. I thought it was hilarious to hear Brian Johnsons voice from a toddler.

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

In my opinion, the only music that sounds "old" to me is the Beach music genre.

13. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

FWIW, and speaking of anecdotes, my neighbor is pregnant and she reports that whenever either the Beach Boys or the Beatles song come on the stereo, she notices kicking or movement. And she reports it is only those two music groups.
    Sounds weird, but IT IS TRUE !
    :whistle:

14. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

Just wait until that baby is born--he or she will cry loudly when the same music is played.

Actually, the baby will be crying loudly pretty much all of the time.

15. Hot Ptah

Oh, very true. A group of guys I know in their early 40s sometimes talk about "going way back," "back to the olden days". They then make lists of their ten favorite rap songs of the 1990s, and compare their list to the lists of the other guys.

Today on my Facebook page, an erudite DJ friend commented that Bruno Mars gets praised for going back to old style R&B, but he does not deserve the praise, because the real old time R&B giant is the group Jodeci, which Bruno Mars is only a pale imitation of.

There are decades of music which many members of this forum are not very much aware of, which are now considered oldies, but which are more recent than the musical tastes of many members of this forum.

16. Hot Ptah

But the great majority of young people, just like the great majority of people, are not music buffs.

I have many friends who like about 20 pop songs, one per artist from about 20 artists, scattered across the years, but most from the last ten years. They have those 20 songs on their phone, and play them whenever they really want to get into some music. They are happy with that. They say that they love music. They have zero desire to investigate any more music, contemporary or older.

The members of this forum are not like the majority of the population, or the majority of younger listeners.

17. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

To misquote the Diggers... it's yours because it belongs to you. All music is for everyone anywhere, anywhen, anyhow. You can like hippie music and not be a hippie. You can like gospel music and be an atheist. You can like '30s delta Blues music and have been born in Scotland in 1988. Never let anybody say you can't like something because...

18. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Growing up in the 90s we had a new pink floyd album, ELP on tour and a million other things- it was like I practically grew up in the 70s (kind of)

19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The 'Guitar Hero' video game fad of 10 or so years ago turned a lot of kids who are now young adults onto classic rock.
    It's still what my 18 year old (and most of his friends) prefer to listen to. They listen to modern music too, just not as much.
    There's room for everything.

20. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

I am a teacher and a kid (15 years old) showed me his Spotify playlist. My jaw dropped to the floor. It had Yes, Smiths, Jethro Tull, Pixies, Spooky Tooth, Moody Blues, Pearl Jam, The Who, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Kinks... The list went on and on. We had a great conversation about music. Every now and then he walks into my classroom and talks about his latest discoveries. "You should really try Sufjan Stevens" or "I listened to Animal Collective last night, they're cool". Yesterday he told me he is going to start a vinyl collection.

21. When I worked as a teaching assistant there were two pupils in my class one year who were both obsessed with Queen. One of them even bringing Queen's Greatest Hits in to school, and the other being able to play the guitar intro riff to Highway To Hell by AC/DC. They were 8/9-years-old at the time.

22. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Yeah, my daughter always liked Buddy Holly, The Beatles and Queen (though the Beatles are a bit played out for her). She does not, however, seem to spend much time listening to music, though I didn't at her age either.

23. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Maybe I'm the anomaly but NOBODY in my family nor my wife's family is musical or has any love for music in any way with the exception of my FIL who plays but rarely listens to music.

As for kids, I have two 6-year old nieces, a 2 year niece, and a 12-year old nephew. No interest in music whatsoever. But then again, neither are the parents interested.

I don't understand it and find it rather frustrating and ironic considering my deep endless love for music.

Hot Ptah likes this.
  24. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

My son (now 24) has been into "old music" since he was about 13. He was always latching on to some old blues guy (ex: Blind Willie Johnson, Son House) or minor jazz artist from the pre-war years. He found Django and then became a gypsy jazz guitarist himself. He still listens to strange noise rockers and obscure punk acts and such, but much of his listening continues to be from the past century's first half. On RSD, he scored the Moondog album.

When we're both in the car, we often listen to the satellite radio big-band station as it's about the best thing up there. I'll take some of the credit, but he took early exposure to my CDs of Duke/Monk/Miles and Beatles/Stones/Dylan and ran with it into parts unknown. Proud dad.

I recently found out that my biological father (whom I never knew) was a major jazz fan. Guess it runs in the family.

25. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

o_O. What are you basing that on... concert ticket sales? I doubt it's the kids filling up the stadiums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.