Kids listening to old music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, May 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

As in me, I'm sick of that. Make them listen to good stuff by The Roots or at least De La Soul, maybe they'll snap out of it?

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It's all about piss*ng off their Baby Boomer parents. The 'appropriated-cool' fashion
    and the dance-able beats are just the gravy on their under-cooked adolescent steak.

3. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Haha, I was 49 when I checked out Nina Simone's debut album on Apple Music and thought it was sick. So I ordered the Analogue Productions SACD. Did the same with Avalon before ordering the Japanese Polydor CD and the Black Triangle.

The streaming services are great to listen if I like an artist or an album. And then finding the best sounding release and ordering that one.

4. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

And she became a fine cellist.

5. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I don't have children, but I remember back as a child both Sinatra and Bennett LP's playing throughout the house.
    I was in competition, playing my Beatles records, till they finally bought me a little hi-fi set up for my room.

6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I do listen to all these. But for a "FAVORITE" country artist none of those come to mind. I enjoy listening to them, I'm just not as passionate about them (or Garth or Trisha or Shania) as I am about other artists. Maybe I'm just not into country as much as rock or jazz or classical, even though I like it...I was about to type that I'm not as into hip-hop either, but that's not quite true, there are some artists I've really felt "into."

7. head_unit

I thought you were making a kind of pun :laugh:

8. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Thanks to that second Planes movie my (at the time) three year old used to insist on listening to ACDC's Thunderstruck every time we got in the car.

My second child used to always request "the Beatles song" when she was 2 (Ob-La-Di).

It's a few years later, I still manage to win the war-for-the-radio ~20% of the time, but it's mostly all kid's songs and pop now. Hopefully at least one will be interested in music when they get a bit older...

9. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Respectfully, as the adult in the situation you should be winning the war-for-the-radio ~100% of the time.

10. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

It's true, but my wife is on the kids' side in the war, so I just give in. The 20% of the time is typically when it's just me and my son. *shrug*

11. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

I was raised on Sinatra, Orbison, opera, Broadway musicals, Errol Garner, and Pacheco y su Charanga. You and me both.

paulmock likes this.
  12. head_unit

Hmm. I had read that at some point (mid-80s?) country music DID literally "sound different" because the label head of RCA(?) declared all would be recorded digitally. This made new country records sound different, not just because of the technology methinks but I think also because the digital recording people probably did things differently from the old analog guys-different equipment, different studios, different techniques, maybe different producers. I *think* that somewhat predated the "pop-ification" of country but now I wonder if there was some kind of mild cause-effect relation.

13. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I have a 15 year old daughter who surprised me by becoming interested in Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens. She was already into the Beatles at the time, so it's all good!

Johnny Reb likes this.
  14. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

I see this sentiment a lot among younger people, usually I find it's from people who don't bother looking for new music they like and just assume all modern music is whatever is topping Billboard.

15. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

The only young people I know that dislike modern rock and pop for the most part... are musicians. They prefer older classic rock.

16. Jama

Jama Forum Resident

I guess it's just a difference in the people we know. Most of my musician friends who are my age like to listen to everything from classical to jazz to early rock to modern pop.

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Also, the modern country audience would not like the pre-1975 Hank Williams, Jr. either. The Contemporary Christian Music crowd today is mostly not into the Larry Norman, Randy Stonehill, Keith Green, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Sandi Patti, Petra, Kathy Troccoli, Michele Pillar, Rich Mullins, golden age Maranatha music, DeGarmo & Key, Gary Chapman, Steve Taylor, etc. era Contemporary Christian Music either nor are they interested in much of the 1990s-early 2000s era CCM such as Point of Grace, Avalon, Nichole Nordeman, Bethany Dillon, DC Talk, etc. Today's generation of Newsboys fans are mostly unaware of the Peter Furler days. In other words, today's country fans and today's CCM fans are a lot alike when it comes to listening to what came before them.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    melstapler and Hot Ptah like this.
  18. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I had a high school student a couple of years ago who listened to very little besides Bach cantatas. "I still don't know them very well, so I'm not moving on until I do."

19. bodine

bodine Senior Member

My boy, bless him, loves the Roots and a whole host of hip hoppers. But he moaned when Pat DiNizio went down last week and before that, Tom Petty. He digs BB King and Pharoah Sanders and Charley Patton and Johnny Cash and all sorts of old stuff. As a young tad, he galloped around the house when I played the Valentines’ “Woo Woo Train.” He’s endlessly musically curious and I’m proud as hell of him.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I seriously think that some of you would love your child less if they were to have "crappy" taste in music.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.