KILL BILL comments...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claus, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yes, yes... Well put. It's a revenge flick without any threats. She comes across someone on the list and a few minutes later she's killed them in some gore intensive way. No suspense.

It's The Good The Bad And The Ugly without the Ugly. It's long and at times tedious to sit through.

And what's with the shower head blood squirting? She cuts off a guy's head and red fluid (supposedly blood but more reminiscent of Kool Aid®) sprays out of a shower head. Heck, you can even see the individual streams and hear the sound of a shower head.

If you want excessive blood gushing, may I suggest Evil Dead II? And THAT movie is funny!

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I thought of the similarities to I Spit On Your Grave also. I hate to admit I've seen that horribly offensive movie.

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member Thread Starter

I watched KILL BILL today...

Wow: a masterpiece :thumbsup:

Particulary the Uma's fight with the schoolgirl... amazing!

Well, the fighting scenes were better than Matrix., and I enjoyed the movie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

4. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I loved the movie. After a while, the violence was firmly established as either (a) comical, or (b) clownish/over the top.

What great fights scenes! I think we topped Crouching Tiger with this one. You can see a lot of glimpses of genius in the way Quentin sets up many of the shots and some of the pure style. As usual, the musical cues are creative and the school girl rock band nails the Tokyo scene I saw recently very well.

I really enjoyed it and I would discount any of the talk about violence because it is not presented in a violent fashion most of the time.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i thought the movie was very well done.

it is not pulp fiction, but it doesn't try to be.

and the cliffhanger ending is superb!

6. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Mybe this movie will come out with a line of t-shirts like the ones from I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE..."I survived the rock, but not the bath tub.."

7. Claus

I was "shocked" as I heard Bill's last words... great cliffhanger!

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I rather enjoyed it, myself. Enjoyable pastiche of spaghetti western and hong kong flick cliches, but with some brilliant camera work by Robert Richardson, and extremely stylish direction by Tarantino. Intentionally over-the-top and surreal, this is a film by a director who enjoys the cinema in all its wild excess, cliches and all. He filters through so many past directors--the film's plot is so obviously stolen from THE BRIDE WORE BLACK, Truffaut channeling Hitchcock--it's fun just to see where he goes with the next sequence.

Given the choice between the overblown excess of RELOADED and the overblown excess of KILL BILL, I'll take the latter anytime. Tarantino is in love with film; the Wachowski's are in love with video games. I'll go with the cinema geek.

ED:cool:

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Overall the film is a fun experience. I may have to see it again to further appreciate it.
    It's hard to judge Kill Bill when its incomplete at this point.
    Quentin does say Part 2 is more dialogue driven which he excels at in his other movies.

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

can't wait for vol. II :)

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i wonder if they will put out "vol. I" on video before "vol.II" comes out, or wait and put the two out together.

12. Claus

They will bring the DVD or video before Vol.2... same like Matrix Reloaded. The DVD was released one month before the start of Revolutions.

13. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Insightful argument, as usual, but I'm not really sure Tarantino is in love with film, at least not on the evidence of this movie. I'd say he's in love with obsessive video-watching, which is a little different. I also think he enjoys playing with cruelty in this film in a way I haven't seen before from him: I'm thinking in particular of the child in the kitchen following her mother's death. Here I agree with David Denby's take in the New Yorker. That scene wants to give us a jolt without the risk of genuine emotion. And for me there were many other scenes in the movie that had the same goal.

Jolts without emotion--that's starting to sound like video games, too.:) But I do agree that the Wachowski's visual imagination in MATRIX RELOADED depends too heavily on gaming cliches. OTOH, I do think there are some interesting ideas in RELOADED. Judging from the trailers for the next one, I'm not sure they'll amount to much.

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i saw "matrix reloaded last night.

i think i am too old. i just don't get it :(

renny

15. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I'd like to see a 'director's cut' of the single film he intended this to be.

16. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I would hope Kill Bill gets released as one concise film on DVD. I would be very disappointed if I have to buy 2 dvds of this movie.

I understand they had to break up LOTR's and The Matrix since they run for extended times but I still fail to see why they had to break up Kill Bill like this.

Sad to see marketing is now dictating directors visions.

Imagine if Kubrick's 2001 was broken into 2 parts or Gone With The Wind? Jeesh!

17. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Just saw it today. It strikes me that these few months are the only time for the rest of eternity that people will be judging this film on the basis of Vol. I only, so I should refrain from drawing many conclusions. Having said that, yeah, I wish it was a little smarter, a little funnier than it is. It was okay, I wasn't really disappointed or even offended, just not knocked out. (What does this tell you about my pop culture orientation: my wife and I couldn't place the Ironsides theme to save our lives, but I recognized the Green Hornet theme right away.)

One sobering note: we vetoed having our 13-year-old anime-loving daughter join us (despite Q's proclamation that he thought it would be an empowering viewing experience for 13-year-old girls), but ended up sitting in front of three young boys who were probably younger than her. I'm sure they've been exposed to violence before, but having the silent parts punctured by remarks from them like, "Why's she crying? Because she lost her baby?" made me realize that edgy films like this aren't released into a cultural vacuum. Even if they've seen the blood before, I don't know that they were insulated from the film's implicit points about the exposure of children to (real life) adult violence to the degree that the rest of us were. The hipper-than-thou campy humor and in-jokes were not part of their experience in the same way. What movie did they see?

18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I suppose you could use this as a justification for the MPAA ratings system, then again what are parents for? At any rate, although I personally oppose censorship and advocate free speech I agree that there is such a thing as 'adult entertainment'. And by that I don't mean XXX. Everything we see is filtered through our own personal experience, and thanks to dbryant for reminding me. At the multiplex where I saw Kill Bill they check ID for R rated films, and that includes people who look like they could be 25 years old.

19. Treid to get in to see Kill Bill, first night it opened, as it was playing in the IMAX. We got tickets but no good seats were left, so we got our money back.

Sunday, two days later we went to the 1pm matinee in the IMAX. After 30 minutes, my girlfriend got up and left. She briefly told me as she exited that she was sick to her stomach. A minute later, I followed her out.

That "comical" rape scene that was talked about in an earlier thread was not very comical for her (or me for that matter). Quentin, do we really need the excessive, graphic potty mouthed dialogue in that scene? Could you take it down a notch, or two? :rolleyes:

My girlfriend is a senior social worker of 20 years. She explained later that, this s*** happens in real life and is not very amusing. Thee were a couple of cases in the mid 1990s.

After seeing only 30 minutes of the film, Kill Bill is definitely no Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs.

I will see the whole movie tomorrow night, as someone is treating me, but doubt I would pay full price for this.

20. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

I agree... this was the duracell bunny fight. This woulda been one of my favorite movies if they had substantially cut the second prolonged fight and compressed Vol's 1 & 2 into one long movie. The speed at which the Copperhead and Buck scenes moved were much more to my liking.

-Jeffrey

21. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

I just want to say that I saw this movie and that it's even better than Jackie Brown! In fact, it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I wouldn't have cut a frame and could have sat in the theater for the next half easily. The cinematography was fantastic the whole way through and I couldn't get enough of the soundtrack, QT's best yet!

As far as the whole "comical rape scene" thing goes, I have a few thoughts. I have definately seen things in movies that hit too close to home and ruined the experience for me. So, I would not dare to debate anyone who could not bear to watch that scene. I'll just say that I enjoyed the movie as a whole and would not excise that scene, because I believe it serves the main character and fills in some of the nuances of the world the movie occupies. As far as any humor in that scene qoes here's a couple quotes from a couple of experts* on the subject:

*I'm not implying their endorsement of the material. I'm just trying to explain why people could see humor in such a disturbing situation.

+I took both quotes from All I Really Need To Know About FILMMAKING I Learned From THE TOXIC AVENGER by Lloyd Kaufman and James Gunn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.