Kill Bill Volume 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JohnG, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

Just saw Kill Bill Volume 2 early this afternoon and it does flesh out the two stories to a stunning climax.

Two set pieces are stunning....one involves Uma being trained in Martial Arts by a Master old Chinese guy that is hilarious. The audience really enjoyed these scenes. Very reminiscent of those great 70's Kung Fu flicks.

The other set piece is the battle between Daryle Hannah and Uma in a trailer owned by Budd. That fight sequence had my audience howling. This is one scene I will be revisiting on the future DVD.

There really is no director like Quentin and he has once again made a movie that is unlike any other.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I am so there tomorrow morning! Did you prefer Vol II to Vol I?

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Tonight? The kids (ok - they're 20 and 18) want to go tonight, but this flick isn't my wifes cup of tea - - however she works Sunday night, so that may be my "window" of opportunity.

I also agree, there is no director quite like him. I also think he writes some of the best dialog out there - especially when it's over the top.

"Silly rabbit.."
    "..tricks are for kids"

4. JohnG

I felt Number 2 was far superior to Number One....that trademark Quentin dialogue is back!!

Wait till you hear Bill's story on Superman during the climax at the end. Some very good stuff throughout the film.

Uma goes thru hell in these movies....at one point she's even buried alive....how does she get out of that one?

Great characters abound in the Kill Bill series....I almost wish he could continue this storyline into the future....it would make a great comic book.

Definitely see this movie asap.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Just got in from seeing Vol. 2. It's great. Easily the best movie I've seen so far this year. I wasn't crazy about Vol. 1, but this is terrific entertainment. Can hardly wait to see it again!

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Correctimundo, gentlemen....both great films...wouldn't dream of choosing between the two, and my suspicion is that, eventually, they'll be combined into one wild ride on DVD so we won't have too....

KB V1 got a lot of reaction over at HTF, as you can imagine...the DVD has its good and not so good points, though I wonder how much of that is things like EE, or just the way QT wanted certain things shot(KB2 has even more interesting cinematography, by the great Robert Richardson).

I agree the extended dialogues of KB2 are fantastic, and most welcome...yet KB1's flamboyance and sheer verve has its own fantastic charm....and where KB1 is a homage to Kung Fu films almost exclusively, KB2 leans further toward John Ford and Sergio Leone territory....among so many other sources and references it's positively mind-boggling...and Johnny Cash, too!

Can't praise both of these enough but, by all means necessary, see KB2 in a cinema! Some films just have to be seen in widescreen glory with the full multi-channel, gut-crunching sound to match....

:ed:

7. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Just saw KB2. I thought it was better than the first. I love the sitting sword duel between Bill and the bride. I wish it were longer.

Anyone watch the credits all the way through. After all of the credits are over, there is a scene from the first movie (IIRC) pulling out a man's eye. :righton:

Great film. Off to see Punisher tomorrow.

Sean

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I just got back from seeing Kill Bill Vol II.

All I can say is this is an amazing film. I'll probably see it again in theaters, preferably immediately after viewing Vol I on DVD (which I picked up this afternoon, right after I saw Vol II).

Quentin has done it again, I just hope I don't have to wait another several years before his next film hits theaters.

I give it a solid 9 out of 10.

9. JohnG

and how about that scene where Uma exits the graveyard. Anybody else think Dawn Of The Dead. That diner employee looked like he would s***. I love stuff like that! :D

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

According to boxofficemojo.com, "Kill Bill 2" is estimated to pull in $25 mil for its opening weekend, a bit more than Vol. 1 ($22 mil). More than double the numbers for "Punisher" which also opened this weekend.

Vol. 1 finished its theatrical run at ~$70 mil. Here's hoping that good word-of-mouth will turn Vol. 2 into a bigger hit.

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Like the sword-smith in volume 1, this actor was in a bunch of those Kung Fu flicks.

I can't wait to see this.

12. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

I saw Tarantino on the Howard Stern E show tonight and he said that he and Uma have been talking about doing a Kill Bill 3 set 15 years down the road. He said that it would be a long time before they considered starting it though as KB2 was such a hard movie to make...

13. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Love that signature...Jimbo!

Attached Files:

14. Stateless

Stateless New Member

I saw it last night...I thought the 1st 20 minutes or so were a little slow...but once it got going...WOW! Uma was amazing. I hope she is nominated for an Oscar for this movie because I think she deserves it. David Carradine was great too. Quinten is a genius IMHO. I don't think another film maker is anywhere in his league these days.

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I just swatted this up this afternoon. One thing I didn't like about either of the films was the cavalier way in which adults killed each other in the presence of small children, although I suppose this was intended to say something about the types of people the film was dealing with. Both films felt like live action comic books. Well made, and well acted. Interesting how they left the question of Daryl Hannah's fate open. Further sequel anyone? (not sure how effective she'd be blind, but still...)

16. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident

Just saw it, had a good time. Is it just me, or do his dialogue scenes seem to go by even faster than his fight scenes? Subtle, but I loved it when Uma turns the flashlight back on and she's in b&w all of a sudden. Also, very neat that we don't get a hackneyed "revenge" sequence with Michael Madsen's character. How about Michael Parks' dual role! David Carradine barefoot again, like in Kung Fu. Bessie Smith meets the Zombies (where did that track come from?)

Here's a link I found to an article with Tarantino's comments about future plans:

www.zap2it.com/movies/news/story/0,1259,---21123,00.html

17. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I think what I can say definitely is that I would have enjoyed this even more seeing both parts as one movie. That said I really enjoyed the trailer fight. It was for me the highlight action wise of this movie. Uma sure does get beat up for her 'art' in these movies. What gives this movie some real distance from the first is the fact she really does get to act, and she is a great actress and makes you feel the emotion and empathy for her. The burial scene was extremely well shot and very very disturbing more so if you have any kind of claustrophobia. I also could see so many movies Mr. T was borrowing from/homage but he's so skilled as a director that he blends all of those shots/ideas into something interesting and within that blended framework something that feels new. I definitely give kudos to the DP as there is again some great looking visuals here and I can't imagine what PIA it was to shoot that trailer fight.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Just saw Volume Two, and it was wonderful. Both movies together are the best film I have seen in some time. The only part that stretched believeability was the fight at the end of Volume One, with Uma versus the couple dozen henchmen/fighters. Incredibly well acted and filmed, but very hard to believe.

Bloody(literally!)great entertainment!!!!!

Evan

19. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Just saw Volume 2 myself. Great stuff.

Can't wait for the four-hour director's cut DVD with both movies put together so I can see it the way Tarantino wanted it to be seen. :righton:

20. Thatch_Ear

Thatch_Ear New Member

I bought KBI on DVD and watched it the day before going to see KBII. One thing that seems to be overlooked so far as a visual homage is the Dark Knight in the MP Holy Grail movie. Both flics did a great job in getting Spaghetti Western music in the score, a few visual puns to go with and many audio and visual moments taken from some very good Kung Fu movies including Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. One genre that I am not really up on is the black exploitation flics of the 70s so I am sure there were a lot of subtle jokes in both films that I missed.
    Uma is a great actress, but she has some butt ugly toes!
    Loved both films, am a big QT fan and love his acting as well, especially with Rodriguez directing. Big fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.