Kim's Convenience - CBC comedy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I have only seen a few minutes from 2 episodes of this new show, but it could be a winner, in the same quality league as Corner Gas.

Anyone else seen it?

2. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It's awful, to me. Mundane characters, flat stories. It makes King Of Kensington look like Seinfeld. I am intrigued that you have a completely different take on it.

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I saw the original play on which the series was based, which was good. I have enjoyed the series, although it has been uneven.

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No, but if it's even half as good as Corner Gas, I'm there with bells on!

Solaris likes this.
  5. John B Good

I vaguely remember being totally uninterested and annoyed at Kensington, detested Little Mosque, but maybe I'm getting older. I'll try a full episode this week and report back.

6. John B Good

Watched this week's episode. Daughter counters Mum's concern short skirts make her friend look slutty with "Short skirts don't cause pregnancy." Mum replies "they help".

One of the actresses was in Baroness von Sketch.

Works for me.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I looked into this show, but it doesn't strike me as being anything like Corner Gas. It hasn't really aroused any interest in me.

I watched a few episodes of that show, but didn't find it funny. :shrug:

8. John B Good

It was uneven, but I enjoyed such as the gals trying on the new brand of kamiltow jeans :)

9. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The Baroness von Sketch was pretty good. I didn't catch all the eps but it did remind me of the sketch shows the UK used to be so good at like Smack the Pony. Meredith MacNeill was in a good one in the UK called Man Stroke Woman.

Kim's Convenience - finding it difficult to get into the show myself. Need to give it more of a chance. The mom is highly annoying. Reminds me of some relatives :)

10. John B Good

It's back for a second season, and I'm still liking it.

Anyone else?

George P likes this.
  11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I watch it, it's cute, but then I watch Shaun The Sheep and Teen Titans Go. Only seen the first episode of the new series so far.

Maybe it helps to have grown up with a corner store like that around... Here is an actual line from the corner shop near our junior high school:"I see you stealing from me back there! You think I don't see you but I see you stealing!" I never stole from them by the way, but one day when they were closed I went into the guy's yard and picked one apple off his tree. I had taken some pop bottles in for the refund before then and he'd refused to pay me, said kids were always saying bottles that were already there were ones they'd brought in. Like he was wise to our ways. So I figured I'd broken even with one apple. It was really good, I enjoyed that apple. :winkgrin:

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just now watching this, and I really like it. Also mesmerized by Andrea Bang's beauty. Why isn't her age posted anywhere ?

13. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I noticed that, too, on her Wiki entry. (She has a sister, Diana, who is also an actress and same thing - no age or dob.) However, it does mention she graduated from university in 2012 with a B.A. So, assuming she was approximately 22 when she graduated - her year of birth is approximately 1989 or 1990.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Myke likes this.
  14. Joe W

Joe W Forum Resident

So if any show is being mentioned in the same breath as Corner Gas, my interest is piqued.
    Corner Gas is one of those shows that can stand up to repeated viewings for our house.

All that to say, I checked out the first few episodes last night, and it's pretty funny.
    Thanks for the recommendation!

15. George P

George P Notable Member

Love this adorable show!

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

A friend of mine's band had one of their songs featured in an episode this season. So that was pretty cool. The plots are sometimes a bit hokey but the writing and acting is good. I enjoy the show and love the setting in my hometown!

George P likes this.
  17. It rocks!

-s1m0n-

George P likes this.
  18. George P

George P Notable Member

Sneak attack!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.