King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. Amazon.com (US) has shipped their Discipline and S&BB.

Mine arrived yesterday (Tuesday), along with notices of the price being reduced to $17.86.

3. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I'm liking the h3ll out of Discipline. The S&BB material was never my favorite but S Wilson did a great job of the surround mix as per all of the KC releases.

Anyone heard rumor of next couple of titles and dates? Beat and Larks?

4. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

From the DGM website:

All orders for the 40th Anniversary of S&BB and Discipline have been shipped. Due to manufacturing delays, the US release date was moved to the 25th of October. We sent an email to each person who had pre-ordered either release stating that the ship dates were being moved to mid October, and it is has come to our attention that many customers did not receive this notification. Our apologies for this and we wish to ensure you that we continue to improve our mass notification systems to ensure greater percentage of e-mails sent arrive to the recipient and are not lost as spam. We are also responding to emails sent to [email protected] as quickly as possible. If your order has not arrived by Friday, October 28th, please let us know to this email address.

5. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I got my copies the other day when I was home sick from work and ended up playing Discipline through about three times. It sounds exquisite. :agree:

6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, if you haven't received them yet, you're in for such a treat. Both discs sound incredible, particularly in 5.1. I just listened to Discipline again earlier tonight and it sounds so forceful, clean and precise. I loved hearing this on vinyl back in the day, the thrill of the new, but this may be the best way to hear this timeless music yet. And I'm still digging the Starless & Bible Black with all the bonus live material. This series of KC reissues has exceeded my expectations in many ways, and it's not often you can say that. :thumbsup:

7. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Canceled my order yesterday, as they couldn't guarantee it had even shipped. Amazon, here I come.

8. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

this night wounds time

9. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:)

10. laynecobain

laynecobain Active Member

Well, I boughtKing Crimson: Starless and Bible Black (40th Anniversary Series) on a whim today at Best Buy.

So far works well for me. Just my 2 cents.

11. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Where is Lark's Tongues Dammit!

:)

12. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What a surprise.

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Surprised that BB would stock this.

Around here they carry nothing but a few hits and an exceptionally meager back catalog.

14. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

King Crimson newbie here.
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but, I'm really enjoying ITCOTCK and ITWOP, what should I pick up next? My favorite track is easily Epitaph. Thanks.

15. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Try Islands. My personal favorite is Red, but that album has a much harder sound to it.

16. Tristero

Definitely try Lizard and Islands next. Fripp is pretty much the only remaining member by this point (unless you count Mel Collins and Keith Tippett), so this stuff has a different feel from the first two, but it's still in the same ballpark (whereas the Larks' Tongues line up is whole different ball of wax). A lot of this stuff has a very jazzy flavor with ornate arrangements. The reissues of both of these sound fantastic too. Have fun!

17. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

... and Pete Sinfield.

18. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

You should check out the McDonald & Giles album (unfortunately not part of this reissue campaign).

sennj likes this.
  19. Tristero

You may also like the song Starless from Red. For me, that one harkens back to the old elegiac mode of Epitaph a bit--and it features Ian McDonald on sax.

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

My immediate response to this is to listen to them in chronological order. Next up is Lizard, then Islands (both available in the latest 40th CD/DVD-A issues). You would be in for a rather amazing evolutionary journey. And you'd see your beloved Epitaph slowly fade as you go along; that's not a bad thing.

Many changes over four decades – some extreme – but there is also usually some hint, or echo, or ghost of Crims past even in newer material that, on the surface, seems far removed from Court or Wake.

Happy trails.

21. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Thanks all.

22. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Totally agree. The best way to go is chronological...so you can fully digest the evolution and regeneration of this forever-morphing band.

23. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

I'll agree as well to go chronological. The stuff they do now is good but the old stuff is way better.

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I tried listening to Starless and Bible Black last night and I couldn't get through it. I feel there is waaaay to much treble. I was listening to the Stereo 24/96 version. All of the King Crimson DVD releases have been on the bright side, but S&BB took it to new heights. I have plenty of stuff Steve Wilson mixed, Opeth and other titles and they are not bright. My feeling is Simon Heyworth is the one that is heavy handed with the treble knob.

I will give S&BB another listen, it is one of my favorite King Crimson titles. Right now, I prefer the vinyl versions.

25. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Having only heard the new two-channel mix, I must say I am pleasantly surprised. I was listening to it in the car and kept turning the volume louder and louder -- very rarely does that happen, especially with the crappy speakers that are in there.

My only gripe with the set so far is the quite clearly out-of-sync audio on the Central Park 1973 clip. :shake: Anyone else notice that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.