King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanowarHAIL

HanowarHAIL Forum Resident

Some quick thoughts and a question: I love the new stereo mix on the 40th Anniversary USA. The soundstage is incredible on my setup and I've used it to demo my setup to friends. I think it's the best sounding live performance in my library. Disregarding THRAK, I think each stereo remix is my definitive version. I wish I had surround to listen to all the 5.1 mixes. I just relistened to the Summit Studios performance (downloaded from DGMLive) yesterday and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the remix in the Earthbound 40th. Is it an improvement? How is My Hobby remixed in stereo and surround? :D I haven't got the Earthbound 40th but will eventually because I might as well complete the collection.

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

It's with getting earthbound not for the sonic upgrade to the original album but for the new quad mix of the zoom club recording including extra jams etc

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Just got Lizard yesterday - am buying them in order (though skipped ahead and got Islands last month), and this is my favourite of the four surround mixes so far.

4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not sure if I was supposed to be quoted on this post, but figured I'd answer the question anyway.

In general, I tend to prefer dynamics to compression, but can stomach compression to a point. Extreme brickwalling bothers me, but I'd say that the 40th Anniversary Series doesn't get within driving distance of that effect with the compression in play.

It's also been a while since I listened to the post-'00 albums, but I'd say that I don't recall there being compression to an extent that bothered me on either album when I last gave them a spin - hence my wonder at the "need" for a remix of both.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  5. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

The new stereo mix of the Summit Studios performance sounds great and features and extended version of “the Creator has a Masterplan”. That’s why it’s worth getting the 40th Earthbound or the Sailor’s Tales Box set. I’m not familiar with the previous mix, so I can’t compare the two versions.

6. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Is the extended TCHAMP version really extended in comparison to the club KCCC version?

7. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Yes, it is. About 38 minutes, only on the Blu-ray.

Shvartze Shabbos and Norco74 like this.
  8. Norco74

Wow!

9. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

rontoon, Shvartze Shabbos and Norco74 like this.
  10. Norco74

Picked it up yesterday from my favorite local store.

38 minutes on the CD DVD edition as well.

Quite surprised by the set actually. I like the extended Earthbound album as well.

aphexj likes this.
  11. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

You're right, sorry. Blu-ray and DVD are identical.
    What I wanted to say is that the CD included in the Sailors' Tales Box Set contains the shorter (old) version. This also applies to other live performances of the same box set. By ripping the Blu-ray or DVDs you should be fine.

JediJoker likes this.
  12. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Earthbound is not remixed.

seasonsinthesky and JediJoker like this.
  13. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I'm slowly working my way through Sailors' Tales and I got to the Earthbound DVD, disc 22. It doesn't play or rip. Does anyone else have this problem?

14. Disc 22 is the Blu-ray Audio of Earthbound. Is that disc problematic? Or is it disc 23 which is the DVD-Audio of Earthbound Extended?

JediJoker and Max Florian like this.
  15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The DVD of Earthbound

16. Is disc 23 the one that is giving you trouble?

JediJoker likes this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

23 , the DVD.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. I will give it a listen tonight. I wound up playing disc 22 last night and it was fine.

JediJoker likes this.
  19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It stutters a lot when I try to play it and it dies on track 3 when ripping on two computers.

20. I played disc 23 DVD Earthbound and no problem whatsoever. Perhaps try another machine or have a close look at the disc. Even a tiny speck of dirt on the data side can cause issues with playback on a DVD-A.

JediJoker likes this.
  21. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Looking to pick the Sailors' Tale box set up plus a few others. Does anyone know if there is any significantly better pricing than these from burning shed? Shipping to Australia is a factor :(

Sailors’ Tales (1970 – 1972)
    £130.00

On (and off) The Road 1981 - 1984
    £110.00

THRAK - Limited Edition Box Set
    £90.00

Starless
    £130.00

The Road To Red
    £130.00

Larks' Tongues In Aspic - 40th Anniversary Edition
    £89.99

thanks

22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I now have all of the 40th anniversary 2 Discogs sets. How indespensable are the 4 Elements Tour collections? What should the next area I explore from their media collection that balances quality, value and relatively easy comprehension from a time standpoint? The big boxes look great, but don’t think I can justify the cost or need for 20 it so CDs. I find that the 40th DVD’s are a sweet spot for me, with surround and stereo remixes, legacy mastering and a selection of alts and rarities. I’m looking at the video dvds, and some of the smaller earlier box sets. Where to go next? Will Sid Smiths book ever be reprinted? It’s very expensive used.

TFEC likes this.
  23. Norco74

Same question from my side.

TFEC likes this.
  24. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

The live albums The Night Watch (1973), Absent Lovers (1984), Vrooom Vrooom (1995/96), and EleKtriK (2003) are uniformly excellent, both in performance and sound quality.

If you're exclusively into physical media, The Collectable King Crimson series is very good. Going deeper, there are close to 50 King Crimson Collectors Club volumes, of wildly varying sound quality.

If you do digital media, then go to DGMLive and commence to downloading!

Mr. Smith is working on an updated edition of The Toxic Tome (as RF calls it), but I read that in someone's online diary, so I'll likely incur the wrath of a forum member for mentioning it!

Hope I said it right!

:hide:

Runicen and ceddy10165 like this.
  25. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I think they're fantastic and well worth picking up, personally. Lost of unreleased material on all of 'em. And the 40th Anniversary tour box as well. I still haven't picked up the Power to Believe Tour Box, but am in less of a hurry for that one - it's more a mix of music and interviews I think.

ceddy10165 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.