King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The redbook discs on the Thrak set dis.

2. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Judge Judy likes this.
  3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I need to look at the KC boxes someday. I did get them for WYWH & DSOTM, and I'm actually a bigger fan of mid 70's KC, but I mostly (!) feel satisfied with the Great Deceiver set ...

4. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

I'd probably plunk down the cash for one of these psycho box sets but it really bums me out that amidst all the insane amount of official live Crimson recordings, there are no live versions of the tracks Red, Fallen Angel or One More Red Nightmare that include Bruford, Wetton and Fripp circa 1974. Does anyone even know if they had the chance to play these songs live before the group dissolved? That said, I am thrilled we have killer and multiple versions of Starless which they began performing live well before the album Red was released. No wonder the studio version is so astonishing! I realize these tracks were done by other line ups in the future, but I can only imagine how brutal a live version of One More Red Nightmare might have sounded from that time period.

Anyway, I already have the first seven 40th anniversary sets, USA on vinyl (I'll probably eventually get the 40th in order to obtain the non truncated version of the incredible Asbury Park improv), and the 4 disc Great Deceiver set. For the most part don't these releases basically contain the cream of the crop of early live Crimson recordings? It's tough for me to justify spending the cash for the Starless or Road To Red box. I've more or less written off the Larks' box because of the less than stellar recording quality. A lot of blathering here I admit, but I am currently on a King Crimson kick... :uhhuh:

5. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

NONE of these songs were ever played live before the "Red" album was released. So, NONE of these songs were ever played live by the Wetton/Bruford/Cross/Fripp version of the band.

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  6. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

OK, that's what I thought. Thanks!

7. Starless is my all time favorite box set. Lots of great performances on that one! To me, it’s essential.

Runicen, Scroller and rontoon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.