King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions :)!

Bill

2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

gd0 likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

As a fan of KC up to the 1974 breakup I am delighted with the reissue programme. The CD/DVD-A versions of each album are excellent and the 4 boxes for In the Court, Larks, Starless and Red are beyond what I could have dreamt about. Also the original 8 lps including USA are available as vinyl with download codes for an original vinyl transfer. We might even get a vinyl Earthbound! I know it sounds poor but I grew up with this material and they did a cd version.

Runicen likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Lizard is my second favorite behind Red in this series. They are all excellent...

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How is desiring that folks focus on the Starless box set greed? Coming off really bitchy in your post.

It's just marketing and pacing the release schedule.

6. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Thanks for your thoughts 3 months after my post. I guess that's another birthday present I won't be getting.

7. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Bill Mac likes this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up :)! I almost ordered all the KC DVD-A titles that I'm looking for but the shipping was a bit steep. I contacted Burning Shed and they were willing to discount the shipping a bit which I thought was a nice gesture. I'm looking for three more and I'll most likely order them from Burning Shed. I've ordered other items from them in the past and they're great to deal with. Thanks again!

Bill

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

C'mon Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair already!

10. I have them all and enjoy them all although I must admit I still have no idea what the difference is between the two distinct 40th Anniversary releases of 'Red'? I have kept them both. As for 'Beat', it was announced as being completed a good two or three years ago! Anyone know what happened?

11. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

One has a stereo remix, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't also has Central Park footage not included on the one that does. Got it?

Beat and 3ofaPP have been delayed, ,ostly because they've had more important things to get to.

12. SKATTERBRANE

More important things? Like what, curing cancer?

13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Like releasing boxed sets for the version of the band that the majority favor. Oh yeah, and for reforming and ya know, touring.

rontoon likes this.
  14. SKATTERBRANE

I thought "Road To Red" Lark's Tongue and Starless and BB boxes were pretty much all we will EVER need from that "favored" iteration of KC. KC is my favorite band but I really do not need every last concert they ever recorded available on CD. Besides Beat and ToaPP were both already finished before these were on schedule. It would not have taken much to FINISH the project they started before EXPANDING on these recent releases.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    AZRunner likes this.
  15. SKATTERBRANE

Oh are you talking the Thrak box? I doubt that the double trio is the KC version MOST people favor.

16. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Wow, man, you're all over the place. First of all, who's this "we" you're speaking for. Second, of all, I'm stating facts, and you're injecting opinion. Thirdly, why are you shooting the messenger?

Another fact: you'll get what you get when you get it. If you have a problem with that, write a letter to someone who cares, or who can actually do something about it.

17. SKATTERBRANE

I am not shooing the messenger. I am just saying Fripp and company pretty much think that every concert they ever recorded needs to be put out there. I just wonder how many people play these 15 discs sets more than a couple of times. Just how many versions of Lark's Tongue In Aspic part II does one want? I think Fripp may be just a bit obsessed and self important. I am a fan, but maybe there is a bit of OCD going on here.

But I think it was you who implied a "we" when you said "the majority favor". So, until we get ALL the live material from that iteration of KC that "the majority favor" then other half started projects can proceed?

18. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I don't get "music" fans who believe they deserve stuff whenever they want stuff. As I said, you'll get what you get when you get it. And for what it's worth, there are plenty of Crimson fans who prefer those concerts (even trillions of them) over the 80s new wave band, whether you like it or not. As should be clear to you as a member here and especially as a business owner yourself -- cater to the masses or die. This is common sense.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Runicen likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Raises hand!!!

tedhead, Runicen and jiffypopinski like this.
  20. SKATTERBRANE

I do not deserve anything. I would rather listen to something DIFFERENT than the same thing over and over again, no matter how much I like it. In fact, I do not like hearing the same song more than once in a week's time. I never allow my CD to repeat, I'd rather turn it off and listen to nothing than let it repeat.

But if the masses want 15 CDs of pretty much the same thing on each disc, I guess they deserve it spending what these boxes cost.

21. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

If you don't get that that band NEVER repeated themselves in concert, then they were never for you. You should stick to the color period.

rontoon and jiffypopinski like this.
  22. SKATTERBRANE

Having seen them in concert and owning all their studio albums for over 40 years now, and once having owned all their KC Club releases and their older boxed sets, I think I know that. However, my favorites are Lizard and Islands. It was the Islands lineup where improvs really started to take hold. Of course the Buford/Fripp/Wetton lineup is where improvs became the most prominent. However, I like ALL iterations of KC. And I like The 21st Century Schizoid Band as well.

23. SKATTERBRANE

I would be just as impatient if all of these KC Steve Wilson CD/DVD reissues had been released including Beat and 3of a PP but would still be waiting on Red and Starless And BB. My point is why the hang up on the last two regardless which two would have ended up as the last two?

Another thing I do not understand, in the case of Red CD/DVD release, the DVD has the new surround mixes but neither the CD nor DVD has the new stereo mixes (as all the other releases do, except for a few songs here and there because of lack of multi-track tapes). They delayed remixing in stereo until 2013. So there have been 3 releases of Red since 2009 (including Road To Red). In the 2009 CD/DVD issue they make note that multitrack tapes were used to make the surround, so no upmixing was required like on a couple of songs from Wake Of Poseidon and Starless And BB.

24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Given that you're answering yourself 6 days after the fact, I'd say you're either a little too hung up on this, or you're just seeking attention. This forum, in many regards has become a place for people to gather for bitching and moaning, instead of a place to make intelligent observations and contributions. My suggestion, if you're really interested in finding the answers to your questions -- direct them to those who can actually answer them.

And fwiw, Red was first released in 2009 without a stereo re-mix because Fripp decided at the time that it didn't need one. Wilson convinced him otherwise. PERIOD. There is no interplanetary galaxial conspiracy.

25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't think that it has anything to do with what Fripp wants--he probably is not all that interested in these archival sets himself. I think that they release all of these performances/box sets because the fans keep buying and clamoring for the stuff. Particularly when it comes to the Wetton/Bruford period, they approached the material like jazz musicians, never playing it the same way twice. I'm a hard core fan of their live output who loves to explore the variations from night to night with this band. I have no idea what is holding up the release of Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair deluxe sets, but I'm thrilled that we got the Starless box.

ti-triodes, tedhead, lschwart and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.