King Crimson Album Poll: “Islands” (1971)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Tracklisting:

1. Formentera Lady (9:55)
    2. Sailor's Tale (7:20)
    3. The Letters (4:25)
    4. Ladies Of The Road (5:29)
    5. Prelude: Song Of The Gulls (4:14)
    6. Islands (9:14)

Personnel:

Robert Fripp - Guitar, Mellotron, Peter's Pedal, Harmonium and Sundry Implements
    Mel Collins - Flute, Bass Flute, Saxes and Vocals
    Boz Burrell - Bass, Vocals
    Ian Wallace - Drums, Percussion and Vocals
    Peter Sinfield - Words, Sounds and Vision

Additional information:

Recorded between the band’s numerous live dates, Islands continues King Crimson’s penchant for mixing contrasting styles and dynamics; from the gothic melodrama of The Letters, the warm laid-back musings of Formentera Lady, the stately chamber orchestra setting of Song Of The Gulls, through to the raucously skewed blues of Ladies Of The Road and the yearning, poignant title track. The stand-out however, is Sailor’s Tale which breaks with the symphonic and jazz-inspired leanings of their previous albums. Propelled by Ian Wallace’s insistent cymbal and Mel Collins’ acerbic sax break, it also introduces a spikier, fractious metal-edged guitar sound that ultimately points the way towards Larks’ Tongues In Aspic. Originally released at the end of 1971, Islands also marks the end of lyricist Peter Sinfield’s tenure in the group.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Islands has always been a fascinating album for me. Do I rate it on par with Larks’ Tongues in Aspic or Red? No, but it’s really a great album, but no masterpiece or anything like that, though. What do you guys think about Islands?

albertop and bhazen like this.
  2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

This is a hard album to judge because I came to the early Crimson discography forewarned that this was probably the worst or tied for the worst with Lizard, so anything positive said about it comes across as effusive praise. :laugh:

That said, I really enjoy this one and it's kind of an alternate universe treatment of blues rock. Blues rock through the Crimson lens. It's got amazing, lush acoustic passages, it hits the accelerator when it needs to, and the album holds together very well as a whole.

I'd say "The Letters" is my least favorite track while the one-two punch of "Prelude" followed by the title track just knock it out of the park. Listening to Steven Wilson's remix in 24-bit is a delight as well.

3. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

"Clearly one of their best works - essential listening for King Crimson fans"

4. DPM

DPM Senior Member

In my view Islands lacks the inventiveness of In The Court..., the quirkiness of Lizard and the sheer brilliance of the three Buford/Wetton era studio recordings, but is is still a commendable effort. Especially when considering the state of the band at the time. Islands is a testament to the iron will of Robert Fripp. His solo during A Sailor's Tale says it all.

5. bdb318

bdb318 Well-Known Member

This one is OK. I'd rather listen to this one than Lizard, but neither are particularly great Crimson records from my perspective. I'd take any of the 80s albums over this one.

6. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

The Wilson remix is revelatory. Get it.

7. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Islands was a period of survival for Fripp and co. I think Boz did a credible job for the task he was hired to do, but essentially, this period was driven by Mel Collins and Fripp's instrumental prowess between Collins' sax and flute and Fripp's guitar and mellotron offerings to the material written and performed. I LOVE Formentara Lady and Sailor's Tale as the primary cuts offered. Ladies of the Road is something a bit different for the band and is interesting as an experimental, commercial-like piece, especially for Crimson whom were really anything but. I actually prefer Lizard over Islands, although both records are a bit underrated within the Crimson discography and yet, at the same time, not quite as definitive as to what came before or after. I voted Not Bad/So-So for Islands, so a rating of 3 out of 5 or a B-/C+, if you like.

MoonPool likes this.
  8. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I really think this is a brilliant record. I bought it when it first came out, and it was the first Crimson lineup I saw live. I know it's not nearly as popular as the Wetton-Bruford releases, but I still love it. I think there is a fair amount of exploration going on, and the resulting energy that approach brings to Crimson releases. It may not be as radical and exploration as other items in their catalog, but it really works for me, and has since the day I first heard it. And, I agree, the Wilson 5.1 mix is a revelation of sorts.

swampwader likes this.
  9. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

This was another one where I was undecided between "essential" and "solid". In this case I rounded down though with some reservations.

The highlights for me are Formentera/Sailor and "Ladies of the Road". My interest goes down after that.

Crimson jon likes this.
  10. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

My favorite King Crimson album! Not by far, but definitely my favorite. I fell in love with it at first listen, the title track is so visceral and poignant only beautified by the majestic previous instrumental Song of the Gulls. Formentera Lady is the greatest opening on any Crimson album I experienced, it feels as if you're being pushed slowley in a wheelchair and the suspense is immense during the first two tracks. The Letters is a sophisticated ballad with a tender guitar pattern and a melody that breezes intriguingly until the menacing, crimsonian, antagonistic harshness takes over. Quite possibly my favorite Crimson rocker, Ladies of the Road, has quite a punchy attitude to it, the album shows eclectic effort and quite a journey completely different than their previous efforts.
    However I acknowledge that it's not their best effort, which is why I'll have to vote solid effort worth recommending to music listeners but obviously an essential for Crimson fans.

11. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I have all the rest of the 70's records on LP (and CD), but not this one yet.

Some good moments here, it's at times a fascinating listen; "Sailor's Tale" and "Ladies Of The Road" are the high points (though the latter sports some very uncharacteristically misogynistic lyrics by Sinfield). "The Letters" is okay in a gothic kind of way.

I don't much care for "Formentera Lady" (which Fripp himself later said of it, "it sucks"), "Song Of The Gulls" and the title track. And right there, that's half the album.

Feel like this record doesn't at all capture the lurching power of the Boz Burrell-fronted band (the live Earthbound does, but the SQ is atrocious). Luckily, there are some nice live sets from this era that really sound great. Burrell was an odd fit for KC-frontman / bassist at times, though, and led them into blues rock jam territory at times, which does not befit the King.

I voted not bad / so so. Easily the very least of their 70's studio records.

RangerXT, Crimson jon and aphexj like this.
  12. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Ladies of the Road always seemed like a nod back to Catfood, which is probably my favorite KC tune (I can live with whatever badge I must now wear by admitting this). The Wetton albums are my least favorite, despite the heavy presence of Bruford. I just don't like his voice. Lizard and Islands have always been my home with this band.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Terrapin Station and Zongadude like this.
  13. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Essential.
    I've always loved Islands. It's one of my most-played KC records.
    This one and Lizard.

Crimson jon and jay.dee like this.
  14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Their weakest 70's album IMO. Even Lizard goes above waayyy higher than this album, due to it's extravagant tone and quirkiness.

Besides Peter Sinfield last album with KC, the only time I remember much is Sailors Tale. Which has a jazz fusion touch to it.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  15. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Not one of my favorite KC album, but it has one of my favorite KC song; "Islands"

16. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

One of the absolute highlights of the Chicago Theater show this past June was their version of Islands. And you'll all get to hear it as the show I was at will be the next official live album this fall.

It's an underrated album, though a bit more laid back and certainly not as intense. Just another flavor of Crimson to enjoy rather than compare.

EddieMann and MoonPool like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I did think the current touring band acquainted themselves well with the Islands material--they did "The Letters" & "Islands" at the show I attended. It helps having Mel Collins in the lineup.

aphexj likes this.
  18. I recommend every album including this one.

Chrome_Head and MoonPool like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Perfect album, essential.

jay.dee and Ray29 like this.
  20. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Like any Crimson album, great, but still one of their weaker efforts.

Crimson jon likes this.
  21. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yeah, I've seen them do Sailors Tale and The Letters in 2014 and now Islands. All great versions. The current lineup is truly definitive. And you can tell Robert seems to agree because there is no end in sight and they are having a blast. I just hope they will continue to add as many older songs (and some new ones) as they can. I'd love to hear them try Great Deceiver, Lady Of The Dancing Water, Wake Of Poseidon, Cat Food, and more Belew material. Anything really.

Crimson jon, Chrome_Head and aphexj like this.
  22. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I love it. Like Meddle, I like to listen to it at the beach (fits the lyrics) or on rainy days (fits the mood/atmosphere). Its another one that Wilson's magic seemed to bring out the best in it. I bought it on the same day as Poseidon and Lizard back the the Essential EG selections came out in 1989-90.

For some strange reason, "Ladies of the Road" never did much for me...very Plastic Ono Band sounding. But the rest of the album is just sublime. I'm glad I got to hear the current band do "A Sailor's Tale" live...

Chrome_Head likes this.
  23. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Damn, I really wanted to go to that, having never seen King Crimson before, but I was out of town that day. Any idea how often they come around to the midwest?

24. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I went with not bad. I'm sure that I could have got up to pretty solid if I'd listened to it for this thread but it's clearly not in the top tier. The problem with ranking these albums is that if it's a decent piece of probing, exploratory work, wouldn't they all be essential?

25. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's an awkward one, to be sure. I love 'Sailor's Tale' and 'Islands' and like 'Prelude: Song Of The Gulls' and 'Formentera Lady' enough, but am just annoyed by 'Ladies Of The Road' and 'The Letters.' Never been fond of the cover art much either. I still see it as the least cohesive album they ever made. It all just seems like a bunch of random stuff thrown together that don't really fit together properly. Or maybe I just missed out on what the prevailing zeitgeist of 1971 really was. Maybe it all made more sense back then?

The first KC album I ever bought was 'Larks Tongues' in 1975. 'Islands' was the last one (of the original run while they were MIA) in 1977. Maybe even 1978. I certainly don't regret buying it (or the myriad reissues) but I don't think I was wrong to save it for last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.