King Crimson Album Poll: “Islands” (1971)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mirror Image, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Yeah, they're coming back this fall! I'm going to see them in Milwaukee on the final night of the tour. Do not miss them live. I almost missed them in 2014, but a friend got me a cheap ticket and it was not only probably my favorite Crimson show I've seen, it was one of the best concerts by anyone I've ever seen! Never assume they'll be back again, Fripp could pull the plug any moment and don't forget, some of them are over 70 years old, so see them this fall before it's too late. They do indicate more touring in 2018 and even 2019 if this thing holds together. Ann Arbor Nov 22, Cleveland Nov 24, and Milwaukee Nov 26 are the only Midwest dates this fall.

dylankicks likes this.
  2. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

"Islands" isn't so bad but always reminds me of a band whose members all hate each other. (not assuming KC did, but I just get a Bad Vibes vibe from it)

mx20 likes this.
  3. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

Side one is perfect, but I confess my interest wanes a bit in the second half. The title track came alive for me for the first time experiencing it at The Greek a couple months ago. I think the current band could take on "Formentera Lady" and transform it into something truly special as well (not on its own mind you, the 'suite' would still have to conclude with "Sailor's Tale").

Chrome_Head likes this.
  4. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

This one is a grower. Was meh on it upon my 1st encounter but it has grown on me over time more than any of the other albums in the catalog. I was 100% wrong in my initial reaction, this one is legit.

5. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

That's a relief. I'll probably try and get tickets for the michigan one.

6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I'm inclined to think of Islands and Larks' Tongues in Aspic as King Crimson's "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver".

Terrapin Station and AidanB like this.
  7. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

The current lineup and repertoire has shown that Letters makes a better lead-in to Sailor's Tale than the other way around.

aphexj likes this.
  8. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I like individual tracks on it as played by the various live band lineups, but never felt the need to purchase the studio album. I am, however, looking forward to the 40th Anniversary Series box set (coming before this year's end?) with all the Mel Collins-era early 1970s albums along with live tracks and outtakes. Those would be Poseidon, Lizard and Islands (according to Singleton the title is going to be Sailors' Tales).

jacethecrowl likes this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It was also one of the last ones I picked up on CD after digesting the rest of their classic catalog in the late 90's.

This. I passed up seeing them in LA at The Orpheum in 2014 (the show that made up the live release, at that), and really regretted it.

I didn't make that mistake again this year. They may indeed tour until 2018 and beyond, but by all means, see them while you can (they are really on fire as a live band right now as well).

10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

"pretty solid"

I guess I can identify my least favorite Crim album. Still better than most bands' best.

The 40th Wilson edition, as well as the current tour, have fleshed this title out wonderfully.

I do have a soft spot for Islands. It was the album that dragged me back in after a brief hiatus. Sorry, I was busy being in the Navy and stuff. While in our home port of Long Beach, one of the great FM stations in LA spun Ladies Of The Road with a preamble that advised against any preconceptions regarding Crim. Wise. Coincidentally one of my buds had his shiny new reel-to-reel going, and we wound up listening to Ladies over and over.

That skronk by Collins at the end!

That led to buying the LP. And then Lizard, which I'd never heard. That did it. I was back onboard.

Then with No Warning :), Larks' Tongues came out a week later.

Faves: Sailors Tale, Letters, Ladies.
    OK I guess: Gulls, Islands.
    Why, Fripp, why?: Formentara

Though I have several, the live albums really lose me when Wallace and Burrell take charge in an improv with their limited R&B arsenal. That genre is simply antithetical to King Crimson (aka Robert Fripp). Belew took a couple stabs at it with a bit more success, but still...

For all my complaining, I crave this.

Like marron glacéd fishbones.

willy, Chrome_Head and Runicen like this.
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Is this confirmed or speculation?

12. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Islands doesn't get a lot of praise, but I think it's a very good album with no weak songs. Boz may be one of their weaker singers, and there's not a lot of heavy or experimental songs, but it's still worth recommending. I think it's one of the prettiest albums they ever recorded.

WalterDigsTunes and Runicen like this.
  13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Boz was certainly a better vocalist than Gordon Haskell. But Haskell arguably had better material to work with (Lizard).

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I rate this one highly, I like Boz Burrell as a Crimson singer. "Ladies of the Road" has one of the rudest sax solos I've ever heard.

Steve Bromsgrove likes this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not bad.

16. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The bottom of the studio albums for me.

Pete Puma likes this.
  17. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I'm not a great Crimson fan at all - in fact I've heard far more Crimson in the time I've been on this forum than I did before, but I do like 'Islands'.

I hear it as a major influence on Talk Talk's 'Spirit Of Eden' - it really hit me when I first heard it.

The title track is absolutely beautiful. I have the Wilson 5.1 remix and it's fantastic.

18. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I was there as well. Will this album be a commercial release, or a download off of the DGM website?

19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No official confirmation yet, but Singleton has repeated this info to the Royal Package ticket holders several times

Mr. H likes this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Crimson is my favorite rock band and this is easily my least favorite album from them. There are Collector's Club releases (e.g., Plymouth Guildhall, May 11, 1971; and Summit Studios, March 12, 1972) from this period that are vastly superior to Islands. But the bottom line for me is that Boz didn't work as a bass player in this incarnation of the band. Crimson places a strong emphasis on collective improvisation and setting up a simple pentatonic ostinato does not collective improvisation make.

21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

A classic. I am listening to it now. 5/5 but my least favorite of the albums from Court to Red.

22. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

23. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Based on what I've heard, it will be a commercial release. They had planned to release Live In Vienna (November 1st, 2016) as the next live album, but that has been bumped to next year in favor of what they call an official bootleg of the Chicago show. So Live in Chicago is coming out this fall.

EddieMann likes this.
  24. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

What really made me reassess this album are the super fine live releases from this lineup. Summit Studios, live in Denver and the 2 disc compilation that has a disc of live tracks and one disc full of all different solos from 21st century schizoid man. They almost have a classic English jammy hard rock blues vibe in the live releases. Love the drummer as well and his included notes on the live releases. From what I hear Fripp was not too happy with the rock n roll on the road lifestyle this lineup seemed to enjoy.

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Love this album - Boz Burrell was unjustly criticized for his vocal and bass prowess - he did just fine IMHO, and was way better than Gordon Haskell's attempts at vocals on the previous album, Lizard. Love everything on this album apart from Prelude: Song Of The Gulls, which was a tad of a misstep. The band is recorded superbly (in the original Island vinyl and the 30th and 40th Anniversary editions) and Peter Sinfield's evocative poetry is in full bloom. I preferred the US outer cover to the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.