King Crimson discography questions...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iwokeinrelief, Oct 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident Thread Starter

Need a bit of help from some of the King Crimson fanatics on here - these are possibly buried in some of the threads on the board, but wasn't coming up with anything through searching. Bit bored at work so was putting together a matrix of their releases to keep track of what albums/shows I already have in the various boxes to make a shopping list of what else I need. Ran into a couple questions (might end up with more).

1. Which of the Fillmore East shows in on the ITCOTCK box – the 21st or the 22nd? Both shows have the same tracklist, and the notes in the box doesn’t specify which show it it.

2. Is there a list somewhere of the King Crimson Collector Club releases? The ones with the CLUB[#] catalog numbers? I went through Discogs (and could have easily missed some) but didn’t see numbers 5-9, 11, 13, 17, 21-22, 27, 33-34, or 42

3. I can check this one when I get the box back from my friend, but that might be a while – is anyone aware of a tracklist for On (and Off) The Road that includes the actual dates of the live shows? Discogs doesn’t include the detail on this box, where it has it for the others.

Thanks for your help!

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Regarding #1, when I ripped CD #4 from my Court box to my computer, the rip info indicates the four Fillmore East tracks are from November 19, 1969. But dgmlive indicates that they only played there on the 21st and 22nd (as your post suggests). My Epitaph box has three of these four tracks being from November 21st. I'm not sure if that suggests that the court box has material from the 22nd or if it's duplicated in the two sets. The track timings are different enough to suggest they are from the two dates and not duplicates, but I've never done a hearing comparison.

Regarding #2, you should be able to cobble together a list from this website.

iwokeinrelief likes this.
  3. iwokeinrelief

Thanks for this - this is exactly what I needed!

Archtop likes this.
  4. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

just in case it matters, there was no show at the fillmore east on nov 19,1969.

Archtop likes this.
  5. iwokeinrelief

Also - only tangentially related - was there ever a Projekct Five? I see releases for One through Four, Six, and X, but nothing at all for Five.

6. I've checked the versions on Epitaph and the 40th anniversary set of ITCOTCK. Listening to Robert Fripp's intro to A Man A City it's obvious the 2 are from different shows. KCCC25 features both recordings which confirms both nights exist (Live at Fillmore East, 1969 - ETWiki ), but since I don't have that one I can't compare. Epitaph is credited as November 21 1969, while the ITCOTCK set is credited as November 1969. So I guess Epitaph features the first night and ITCOTCK features the second night.

7. iwokeinrelief

Thanks for looking into that! Planning on picking up Epitaph, it'll be nice to not have to pick up the KCCC release if not needed.

8. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

You can’t have too much live 1969 Crimson. Besides, not a great deal exists...

9. iwokeinrelief

Technically true, but I don't need to own the same shows twice - if the ITCOTCK box (which I have), and Eptiaph (which I already need for the BBC sessions and the other Fillmore shows) have the 21st and the 22nd covered, than KCCC25 is just duplicates, and I can spend that money on other KC releases I need :D

10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure the ITCOTCK box has all of the Fillmore East material.
    You either need the DGM download or the CCCD.

I recall having to sort through all this a while back, easily confusing...

The two sets are basically identical. Vital, but identical.

11. iwokeinrelief

No, you're right, it only has one of the two East shows. A few posts up mdekoning had checked and verified that the other East show appears to be included in the Epitaph box, which (once I pick that up) makes the KCCC release redundant.

12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I think you'll just end up missing a (2:36) fragment of "In The Court" from the 22nd only available on KCCC or DGMlive.

However, the KCCC is missing the complete "In The Court" from the 21st, which was made by splicing an audience recording to the missing soundboard fragment. That is on the Box.

I think I'm posting this for my own benefit, as this annoyed me a bit ago when I was trying to figure it out.

13. iwokeinrelief

Ugh, that is annoying. I'll note it, and down the road I'll decide how much it annoys me and see if I want to close that gap. I've got download credits from my 1000 club membership, so I'll probably go that route at some point.

asdf35 likes this.
  14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Wiki says this, which jibes with my recollections.
    There has been no ProjeKct Five, but in 2006, Fripp mentioned plans for a ProjeKct Five distinct from the then current King Crimson line-up (Fripp, Belew, Levin, Mastelotto).

15. iwokeinrelief

Thanks for that! It seemed like a weird gap, but I guess it was (at least temporarily) intentional - though I suppose since it's been 11 years now that it's less likely that Five will show up.

16. MikeM.

MikeM. Forum Resident

The king crimson discography page on Wikipedia lists all the Collector Club releases in order by club # with date info as well. I reference it often.

Archtop likes this.
  17. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

For a start, on this french wiki page you have all CLUB cds from 1 to 38:

Discographie de King Crimson — Wikipédia

18. iwokeinrelief

19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

yep and this is the key to figuring out which show was on the big box because the big box has the complete court from the 21st I always presumed that was the 21st show. while the 22nd is only on epitaph (missing court fragment) or the KCCC.

if you are willing to wait it out I would not be shocked to see every live scrap put on a forthcoming box of that era.

20. iwokeinrelief

I went ahead and grabbed a copy of Epitaph last week; I'm not going to worry about the missing fragment at the moment. I've got a list of stuff to grab before that even begins to be a worry. Though I'm always excited by the prospect of more boxes...

21. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

epitaph is a real nice set and a good booklet to boot which may not be replicated in any upcoming release. one thing to note is the chesterfield show is edited on cd but available uncut as a download on DGM. main reason to get this is it has a comparatively rare live recording of I talk to the wind in its uncut state.

asdf35 likes this.
  22. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

If I recall correctly, the original DGM download didn't include "I talk to the wind," (!) due to quality issues (?),
    but many furious comments in the review section compelled them to update the download.

23. iwokeinrelief

Funny enough I picked up the Chesterfield show on DGM prior to realizing it was on the Epitaph release. Nice to know that wasn't a totally unnecessary "purchase".

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I hate to ask a stupid question, but needs must..........

If you have all box sets (the huge multi-disc sets), are you missing anything presented in the "The Collectable King Crimson"?

25. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

yes also many entries in the king crimson collectors club are not included in the boxes in case you meant that as well. only the larks era band is really completely covered in the boxsets(though I am sure someone will point out some release that wasn't included) the others have plenty more to discover if you choose to get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.