King Crimson Islands - Wowsers!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by telemike, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just picked up a white label Atlantic LP. Amazing bass! Ladies of the Road kicks butt on my turntable. Super punchy mix.

Daedalus, Gavinyl, CCRider and 4 others like this.
  2. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Underappreciated by some Crimheads. I'm a big fan of Islands. A couple tracks were performed by the current Crim on their US tour last year. Fripp likes the album too.

Rocat, CCRider, wayneklein and 4 others like this.
  3. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

How good is 'Sailor's Tale'? What a track.

Rocat, Steve B, Meng and 9 others like this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Great album - was seriously under-rated (almost ridiculed) until the King Crimson Collectors' Club showed that the band was under-recorded and excellent. I've always championed this album. The Island UK original is even better. The 30th remaster is excellent and the 40th remix is also good. RIP Boz Burrell.
    Don't even consider any Definitive Edition CD.
    I preferred the Atlantic cover (originally the soft unipak inside of the UK Trifid nebula dual flipback cover).
    The first time I heard this on headphones in 1971, I nearly jumped out of my chair with the high dynamic range of the track "The Letters".

DennisJordan, CrimsonPiper and G E like this.
  5. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Ladies of the Road might be Crimson's weakest song, but Sailor's Tale and the title track are brilliant.

6. resistanceisfutile

Lyrically...perhaps. Certainly not PC by today's standards. But musically it's hot.

bhazen, Meng and John Buchanan like this.
  7. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

You should check out some of the live concerts from that era that are available on DMGLive.com. This lineup gets very little respect, but there's some playing on those recordings that's up there with anything else the band has done.

fldveloce likes this.
  8. G E

G E Senior Member

Yes, wowsers indeed!

I for one under-appreciated this LP coming off the first three.

With time comes understanding. This is a gateway to what comes next:

Larks Tongues In Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    Red

Highly recommended. I have the pink rim UK islands pressing and it's a wowser

bTW, another Frip "gateway" record is "exposure". It echoes the past (Buford/wetting/Muir) contemplates the present (at that time) and anticipates the next iteration of KC. Very highly recommended!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Rocat and JakeM like this.
  9. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Out of all the lineups, the definitive Schizoid Man for me is on Earthbound. I'm glad to see the Boz-era reappraised.

Rocat and Chew like this.
  10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was surprised that they played "The Letters." I have read he doesn't like "Formentera Lady" which is a song I enjoy (particularly the opening where it seems like you've bought an Impulse label jazz album by mistake).

bhazen, Galeans, drasil and 2 others like this.
  11. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm underwhelmed by Poseidon. I like Cirkus. Larks, Red and Starless are my favorites

12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Islands is my favorite Crim recording -- which says a lot!

13. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Always been a fan of this one. Love every track. I think the Steven Wilson remix is superb too.

'Lizard' is the other under appreciated little masterpiece in their catalog.

Rocat, kenbefound and Daedalus like this.
  14. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

This'un is still my least-favorite Crim album.

But that doesn't mean it's not world-class. It was Ladies Of The Road – played on the radio(!) – that yanked me back into KC after being off the radar briefly back in 71-2.

By all means get the 40th Anniversary pkg if you're the least bit interested. Not expensive, but loaded.

Sailors Tale rightfully got a standing O when it was deployed in San Francisco last October. Impeccably played by Robert Fripp, who will turn 70 any minute now.

Stupefying what this entity has delivered over 4 decades.

Rocat, Henryflowr and Finch Platte like this.
  15. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

It's a classic.

I don't care too much for the rest of that side, however.

16. zephead

zephead Forum Resident

I have a US George Piros cut , I love the sound !

17. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

For me, it just doesn't sound very original (unlike everything else by Crimson). Too Beatle-esque.

Archtop likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Mine too. It's got a nice punchy clarity and feels like an arty prog album. It's not overplayed to me, no burnout which a lot of good music has become to me. Original US vinyl was a bit noisy but the mastering was a hot cut stereo demo record.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great album. I like all the early stuff.

hartonr likes this.
  20. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Islands is one of my favorite Crimson records. I think the title track is near-ambient brilliance, and is nicely paired with it's introduction, "Prelude".
    Side one is good all the way through for me, with the opening two tracks being possibly my favorite 18 consecutive minutes of Crim.
    The weak link is, of course, "Ladies of the Road", which lyrically is just stupid for such a supposedly intellectual band.

Lots of dynamics on this album. Never understood the apathy or hatred for this compared to the love for the seminal yet tiresome debut.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

"Ladies Of The Road" is probably autobiographical, a bit raunchy and celebrates human sexuality, just like the music. Not a dodgy track at all. The "High diving Chinese trender" lyric is a bit I.U. Intellectual doesn't mean devoid of sexuality.

22. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Maybe it's no "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang", but it still doesn't sit well in Crims canon.

Murph, uzn007 and Finch Platte like this.
  23. resistanceisfutile

I've always loved Mel Collin's raunchy (and appropriate) sax on "Ladies..."

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I didn't notice the odd meter stuff on "Ladies" (drums and bass playing in two different meters during the solos) until recently.

CrombyMouse and roadtonever like this.
  25. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It took me a little while to really warm up to Islands, though I always loved "Sailor's Tale", but I've really grown to appreciate it, particularly side one. This was another case were the Steven Wilson remix really helped to open up the dynamic, densely layered sound--hearing "Formentera Lady" swirling around you in 5.1 is an epic experience.

I've really grown to appreciate the Islands era, thanks in large point to all of the archival releases via the KCCC. They were a smoking hot live band, particularly young Mel Collins on sax. Sometimes, I almost wish that this line up got more of a chance to flourish, except that I love what came next even more!

fabrikk, tedhead and Crungy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.