King Crimson "Larks' Tongues In Aspic" Best pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ian, Jul 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian

Ian Active Member Thread Starter

I listened to my vinyl of LTNA last night (after many years) and noticed that it was very distorted. Massive overloading in the bass region. Mass amounts of sibilance. Totally unlistenable.
    Is there a better pressing out there that takes advantage of the dynamics? Original 1841 Atlantic? UK EG? EG reissues from the 80's? If not vinyl which CD version?

Thanks guys.

Ian

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I wish I knew! I can tell you which one not to get, its the EG "Anniversary" issued in the 80's. Mine is horrible, ticks, pops, and everything else you can think of. I'm curious, Ian, you didn't mention what pressing you have.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It can't be the EG's.....No way.

4. Ian

Whoops... Mine is a 75 Rockefeller Plaza Atlantic. I would figure mid '70's. And since I have it out here...

Side 1 matrix - ST-A-732809-D(?)JJJ-1 HTGP
    Side 2 matrix - ST-A-732810-BBB-1-111
    Also scrawled on both sides is PRC

I think it is a George Piros cut.

Thanks

Ian

5. Sckott

How's the condition? Can't rule out groove-wall damage?

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Wait a minute, my pressing is the 1/2 speed mastered version. The anniversary addition is the CD's, right?

7. Sckott

I was talkin' bout the Lps'. The EG LP's say "Collector's Edition". The average Atlantics should beat the heck out of them, especially some Atlantic reissues. The EG Lps sound passable until you hear a "decent pressing". Major difference, IMHO.

8. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

The Japanese Atlantic pressing sounds great to me! The recording itself is a bit rough but was always heralded as a great recording. Undistorted distortion I remember reading. The Japanese pressing is more revealing than any CD issue I've heard. The latest CD issue rolls off the top quite a bit to hide some of the roughness. The Japan pressing is clearer and very clean, it is one of my favorite recordings and performances! Also it helps that the Japanese quiality comes though in all the quiet passages, silent!!

9. Sckott

I have a Japanese LP of ELP's 1st album. Certainly brighter than most. Japanese vinyl quality is certainly clean!

I don't want to leave people with the definate that Atlantics are always the way to go. Diehards always go with Island pinkies and pink rims for King Crimson.

10. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I am not sure about this particular album, but whenever I tried to compare the US, Japanese and UK pressings of earlier Crimson stuff, the US and Japan pressings would sound more attractive on the first listen (punchier and more dynamic, and very quiet surfaces in case of the JPN vinyl), but ultimately I would prefer the UK Island pressings for their more full-bodied, spacious and less tiresome sound.

What you describe, however, sounds like a worn out LP.

11. johnborzatti

johnborzatti Senior Member

Most definetly UK Islands on the whole Crimson catalog, 1st or second pressings. Most difficult to find a quiet pressing of however. Also the Japan LP of Court is very bass shy as is The Yes Album just to throw that one in. It is usually hit or miss with Japanese LP's as their sources are always mysterious.

12. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

My 1841 Atlantics sound great. Both are quite noisy, though.

Great album for demoing Lp Vs. CD.

13. Ian

I would say the condition is G+ to VG-. Not too bad but there may be some damage. The distortion, though, doesn't sound like groove wear or damage, more like someone had the levels cranked too high when they were cutting it.

I'll try and track down an 1841 Atlantic or a pink Island. Should make all the diff. Maybe I'll take a risk on the CD too.

Thanks

Ian

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Lark's Tongues In Aspic was best heard on the original Island UK pressing. It was better than the Japanese or US pressings. There are MASSIVE dynamic swings (on especially Larks Tongues In Aspic Part 1) that became pretty lame in the vinyl remasters. The cover is slightly different in US and Japanese Atlantic releases - there is a white border instead of the UK Island's red border. The bass was always distorted in this recording and some sibilance was present also. I could never find a really quiet pressing, which I suspect was due to the overall low cutting level because, necessary to accommodate the longish sides and the extreme dynamic range. Beware the EG releases - they used the much more compressed remasters that appeared after Polydor took over the catalogue in the ??late 70s/early 80s - this allowed louder cutting and seemingly quieter pressings. This applies to all pressings of the KC catalogue up to USA.
    The 30th Anniversary editions on CD sound the closest I've heard to Island UK vinyl, and there is still the bass distortion and sibilance. For even better performances and sound with the band in roughly this era, try USA,The Nightwatch 2 CD set, or The Great Deceiver, a 4 CD set.

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The Aspic cuts in the KC box set sound absolutely inferior compared to my US Atlantics. No dynamics.

If the UKs are even more dynamic than the USs, that is something to look for. And if the surfaces are quieter that's something to break the bank for.

16. John Buchanan

Which KC box set would that be, Proufo?

17. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The Essential KC - frame by frame

18. John Buchanan

The sound on that set and all of the Definitive Editions CDs is terrible - there was huge usage of NoNoise. This has been fixed in the 30th anniversary releases with (a) better tapes and (b) less NoNoise. Run to the computer or CD store to order now.
    Anyone interested please PM me for as many details as I can remember.
    I would also suggest looking at the Elephant Talk FAQ at http://www.elephant-talk.com and click the FAQ button at the bottom of the page.
    Islands, for example, was remastered twice as a Definitive Edition CD and again as the 30th anniversary remaster. I don't think the 30th CDs are quite as good as Island vinyl, but as close as I have ever heard. The cover reproductions are great.

19. Ian

Well I searched all the CD shops around (all 3 that would be likely to carry that title) as well as my fave used record haunt (Dr. Records). Although I did find a 30th anniversary ITCOTCK (as well as a Carole King "Tapestry" SACD with the original mix no less), no luck on the LTIA, vinyl or otherwise. Looks like there's going to be a road trip down state in the near future (a few more used record shops further down).

20. John Buchanan

Ian. see if you can get the 30th versions. They are very good and came in mini-vinyl reproductions.

21. Dob

Dob New Member

I like them as well.

22. Ian

I just finished listening to my 30th ITCOTCK and it sounds really good (standard jewel case though). Worlds better than the last EG version I had (that was terrible). No NR that I can tell. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a 30th LTIA.

Thanks

Ian

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

24. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Dredging up an old thread. How does the Discipline Global Music version of "Lark's" on vinyl from 2013 sound compared with other versions? Is it really good? Has it been released?

How's Red?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  25. mistermuse

mistermuse Forum Resident

Any thoughts on how good the 4oth anniversary vinyl will sound?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.