King Crimson "Sailors' Tales" Mega Box (November 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whiskeyvengeance, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I suppose it will be something like that. "A transitional period" box set with all three albums, some unreleased studio material, and of course live material.

2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

and start sending this music into outer space so advanced civilizations welcome us into the Tier One Evolutionary Club.

3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Then the dude who dropped $140 for the current version just last week in the Classifieds will really be kicking himself. :laugh:

footlooseman and Runicen like this.
  4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Sid Smith submitted an intriguing post to the DGM Live website yesterday under the title AND REELS OF DREAMS UNROLLED.

No text yet, just a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And reels of dreams unrolled...

I suspect this is a not-so-oblique announcement of a upcoming 1971-72 Island-era box set. At any rate, I certainly hope so.

And in case any members are thinking about criticizing the box set content (whatever it may be), those complaints have already been made in an earlier (2014) thread on the subject, based on an announcement that turned out to be a hoax:
    King Crimson - Islands Box HOAX!!

tedhead and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The provisional title mentioned by Singleton earlier this year for the box was Sailors' Tales; it will also mop up extra outtakes and remixes from the Wake of Poseidon and Lizard eras

6. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

NumberEight likes this.
  7. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I'm waiting for TCOL and PTB box sets...and vinyl releases.

Chrome_Head and Runicen like this.
  8. NumberEight

9. NumberEight

Ah, yes. Thank you!

10. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Forgive my ignorance, but, I thought Earthbound was Bruford. How does that fit in with Islands? Did he join KC for the Islands tour or something? If so, I don't think I ever knew that, or, I've completely forgotten that.

A lot of people weren't into Islands because of Boz' singing, but, I liked it quite a bit and would love to hear him tackle some of this live. I did not think I would be buying anymore of these box sets (as much as I love the Larks Tongues In Aspic, Starless And Bible Black and Red boxes, they are overwhelming), but, I might for live Boz and/or a possible pre-Larks Bruford band. Also, I love that Mel Collins.

11. jacethecrowl

jacethecrowl Forum Resident

I wouldn't expect a Bruford cameo on this set -- Ian Wallace is the Islands-era drummer.

12. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I think this is the last boxset to bring everything from debut to Thrak into box set form. I like it. This quarter of the year will be quite prog for me with this set, and the upcoming Gentle Giant set.

Runicen likes this.
  13. YES please. I've been hoping that they might put together a package to complete this period. Count me in!

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

That's because it sounds worse than everybody expects. Think 1972 pre-Nakamichi cassette recording with VU meters past the red and pinned to the right. Terrible. Wonderful performances, however. There are far better recorded concerts in the Collectors Club series. Even the cover is sub-par.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  15. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I really wonder what is left unheard at this point from the Poseidon and Lizard eras.

16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Am I remembering my history correctly in that neither of these albums saw ANY live performances or were there one-offs?

17. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

No, there were no live shows to support either Poseidon or Lizard. Material from these albums was played live by the Islands lineup in 71/72, as well as the current lineup.

Edit: there was a single Top of the Pops miming of Cat Food before Lake had quit to form ELP.

Flaming Torch and Runicen like this.
  18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

You remember correctly. No one-offs.

19. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

the earliest recordings from the islands lineup do predate the recording of the islands album itself so maybe you could consider them touring lizard at that point but it is a stretch. at that point all they had from islands was sailors tale so there was a bit more focus on lizard and Poseidon. (pictures of a city, cadence and cascade, devils triangle, circus, lady of the dancing water were played).

wonder if the current band might pull out Formentera lady to celebrate the new box would love to hear that one live.

Runicen and aphexj like this.
  20. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'd buy a ticket solely on that premise.

Am I right in thinking 'Ladies of the Road' hasn't made it into the current band's repertoire? Alas it's probably not appropriate for them to perform it in their advanced years…

21. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

You may be thinking of "Earthworks", Bruford`s last group as leader. "Earthbound" is a live release from the 1972 tour pre-Bruford.

drasil likes this.
  22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

It would get quite a chuckle out of me to hear them give it a go this Fall.

Plan9 likes this.
  23. I don't know about you guys, but I'd love an instrumental version of Lizard without vocals. I enjoyed the instrumental versions on the Yes SW reissues would welcome them here.

aphexj likes this.
  24. Moth

Moth fluttering by

How are the live performances from this era? I haven't listened to any (yet), but I'm interested in whatever this turns out to be.

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The EARTHBOUND version of 20th Century Schizoid man is definitive for me, terrible sound and all. Wallace, Collins and Fripp blazing away with Boz's vocal particularly unhinged.

penguinzzz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.